Last Movie Watched

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Shakespeare

Re: Last Movie Watched

Post by Shakespeare »

hadnt seen this but ive been really into this kind of stuff lately. cheap fun i suppose. im not one to need old culture to fit todays norms by any means, but this one seemed oddly wholesome, all things considered. with a few minor language adjustments it could easily come out today and garner all sorts of woke praise.

anyway i enjoyed it and it had a lot of "oh shit" castings. somehow i completely missed jason segel.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

walthers wrote:The Beastie Boys Movie - If you read the book that came out last year you really are not going to learn anything new but it is very entertaining. One of my all time favorite bands.
I really want to see it, but not enough to subscribe to yet another streaming service to do so
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Shakespeare wrote:Image
hadnt seen this but ive been really into this kind of stuff lately. cheap fun i suppose. im not one to need old culture to fit todays norms by any means, but this one seemed oddly wholesome, all things considered. with a few minor language adjustments it could easily come out today and garner all sorts of woke praise.

anyway i enjoyed it and it had a lot of "oh shit" castings. somehow i completely missed jason segel.
I assume that this is about prom or graduation night. Seeing that pic in the current environment just makes me sad, a bad look for a comedy LOL.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

walthers

Post by walthers »

Zip City wrote:
walthers wrote:The Beastie Boys Movie - If you read the book that came out last year you really are not going to learn anything new but it is very entertaining. One of my all time favorite bands.
I really want to see it, but not enough to subscribe to yet another streaming service to do so
Totally agree. My wife got a new iPhone through work, came with a trial subscription so that's the only reason I was able to watch it. With that said, because it was a trial service you could only watch it on the phone or iPad, would not cast onto the TV. In my opinion, all the different streaming services are getting pretty annoying, too much as far as having to subscribe to too may things if you want to watch one thing in particular.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

walthers wrote: In my opinion, all the different streaming services are getting pretty annoying, too much as far as having to subscribe to too may things if you want to watch one thing in particular.
This. THIS!

Swamp

Re: Last 3 Movies Watched

Post by Swamp »

Death Wish
Sid and Nancy. Wow
Black Snake Moan. At least that one had a somewhat happy ending.
and the rest as they say is uh er uh, well somebodies history somewhere?

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

finished watching Cannibal Holocaust last night. what a piece of shit movie.

also watched The Lighthouse. now that was a good one.

Flea

Post by Flea »

tinnitus photography wrote:finished watching Cannibal Holocaust last night. what a piece of shit movie.

also watched The Lighthouse. now that was a good one.
Cannibal Holocaust was a great "snuff" film ruined by it's treatment of animals. I both dig it and loathe it.

And agree, The Lighthouse is trippy! I was a bit disappointed that Ephraim & Wake didn't sword fight.
Now it's dark.

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

it had been a while since id watched a good mindless slasher and boy was this a lot of fun. it felt like running down a checklist of genre tropes but it can be such an enjoyable formula when it falls together just right.

it was extraordinary to look at and both performances were incredible but idk if i actually liked it much. thats 100% on me for not having the energy to properly engage with it though, clearly all its batshit twists were heavily thought out on some level, im just lazy.

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

low grade easy rider cash-in starring broadway joe? sign me up.

Flea

Post by Flea »

Interesting dystopian SciFi comment on social stratification from Spain.
Now it's dark.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Flea wrote:Image

Interesting dystopian SciFi comment on social stratification from Spain.
looks like that recent Kanye West tour

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

Last night I watched Black Snake Moan. I’d remember wanting to see the movie years ago but never had.

Flea

Post by Flea »

Beaverdam wrote:Last night I watched Black Snake Moan. I’d remember wanting to see the movie years ago but never had.
Christina Ricci was ALL growed up in that one.
Now it's dark.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Shakespeare wrote:Image
low grade easy rider cash-in starring broadway joe? sign me up.
Ann Margaret "as his girl." :lol:

I sort of remember this being something of a big deal at the time. Namath was at his zenith at a time when it was not yet common for sports stars to "crossover" into pop culture and AM, while well known, was still on the upswing of her career.

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

What a ride

Judd Nelson plays a garbageman turned three armed standup comic, bill Paxton is his garbageman friend turned accordionist. Wayne Newton is their manager. James caan and Rob Lowe also appear.

As a satire it was pretty cliched but as a bunch of surreal vignettes, a whole lot of fun. Helped that nelson played it pretty straight as a loser while paxton went absolutely apeshit with every line.

Dunno the exact timelines but it seems like this was Neil hamburger before Neil hamburger

Anyway,enjoyed it a lot

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

i watched two movies last night.

Lords Of Chaos. ostenstibly based on the book about the beginnings of Norwegian black metal, with Euronymous and Dead founding Mayhem, and then later when Varg comes in. definitely dramatized, but ok overall... Varg is a loathsome human for sure (but i do like one or two Burzum records quite a lot).

Hagazussa. kind of a kindred spirit to The VVitch, this had the right mood but really went nowhere.

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

in which a drugged up monkey escapes from a lab during a live action dungeons and dragons campaign orchestrated by the head of the medical school for some reason.

Had decent potential but some truly abysmal pacing blew it. So many useless scenes and it never made enough use of the characters locked in a building gimmick. Felt like bricking a layup in a way. Still fun enough but barely

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Shakespeare wrote:it never made enough use of the characters locked in a building gimmick.
Coincidentally, my wife and I just had this conversation about a tv show I already can't remember (!). The main point was that if people are going to be trapped together that creates a certain, tension, psychology, drama, etc. Not to acknowledge that (much less give it prominence) was an extremely odd choice by the director/writer/whomever of the show we were watching, thus the exclamation point in the first sentence.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Watched "The Joker" last night.

It did a good job with what it was trying to do, though the DC Comic tie-in was completely unnecessary
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

fascinating film. we sure could use the greatest now.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

scotto

Post by scotto »

Shirley is excellent if you're so inclined. And Elisabeth Moss is great in this.

Flea

Post by Flea »

scotto wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:52 pm
Shirley is excellent if you're so inclined. And Elisabeth Moss is great in this.
I have problems watching anything with Elizabeth Moss because her eyes are too far apart and it kinda freaks me out.
Now it's dark.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

catchup from the last two weeks or so:
pretty shit. had some potential (a professor orchestrates a live dungeons and dragons game with his med students locked in the building, where a drug test monkey gets out) but whiffed completely
wanted to rewatch this while its on netflix but generally i dont watch movies multiple times in such quick succession. cant quite say i got enough out of round 2 here to change that but it was fun, and knowing where this is going made it easier to enjoy as a comedy or find weird background details along the way. other than that my opinion from seeing it in theatres held true, great movie and hopefully not the last sandler/safdie collab
woof. not a romcom expert so maybe its par for the course but it seemed impressive how overwhelmingly annoying so much of this was. like even for its time i have a hard time understanding what positive things anyone would get out of this. everyone except ben affleck sucked, and he was a complete loafer for 90% of his screen time. also just way too long and sprawling (its one of those interconnected stories gimmicks, which never really work like the writers seem to think imo), i had no idea this would be 2 hours and 9 minutes when i agreed to watch it! great soundtrack though.
Genius film. Take your boilerplate horny teen beach flick, set it at a ski lodge instead but keep the bikinis and dancing, invite Lesley gore and James brown to sing songs for some reason, and there's a bear.
real early slasher. Kinda shit! No real plot and too many characters but the lo fi production was fun enough and the score was this weird ass mix of banjo and synthy noodling. This poster and tagline have almost no relevance to the movie at all
I liked the first half of this more than midsommar but it lost me when it turned supernatural (and by the ending was almost the exact same story as midsommar? Get a new shtick!) rather than just a dark family drama. I think that's just a brand of horror I'll never really care for though. this dudes just not for me I guess. Some good performances at least. may still give his next one a shot, clearly a good filmmaker capable of great shots
Read the description of this (a bigoted insurance salesman wakes up black one day) and braced for some real cringe but found it surprisingly tasteful, if a bit simplistic. Black director so I didn't think it'd be straight up racist or anything but it still gave pause. Good movie though.No doubt it's success is in large part thanks to the wise (but somehow not immediate) decision to cast a black lead, even for the scenes in which he's white. A lot of uncomfortable humor that would have seriously called the film's motives into questions if not for a proper black lead (and Godfrey was indeed terrific).

I didn't quite love the ending (was a hell of a lot better than the lazy one the writer wanted thiugh, per Wikipedia) but the score (also by melvin van peebles) was delightfully funky and there were enough bizarre interludes and all around weird shots to keep it interesting. as satires go this definitely fell way on the laugh out loud end of the spectrum, which I can see being a sort of bad thing given its relevance now (and boy was a lot of it relevant). it never seemed under any illusions about it's role or audience though, which helped imo. Hard to imagine anyone walking away missing the point or taking it the wrong way, but I'd be curious to read some contemporary reviews to see if it triggered libs or anything
This was alright. Husband and wife get sucked into their tv set and bounce around channels to get out. Bit like a bill and Ted but with more parodies (which were mostly tossed off one liner puns, but the extended Looney tunes homage helmed by Chuck Jones was a neat touch). I hadn't seen a John Ritter role in years and it also had the principal from ferris bueller, and Eugene levy.

Anyway it's one of those things that never really settles on it's kids vs adults tone. Pg rated and very kid friendly plot, but somewhat dark and most of the jokes would go way over their heads so it's unclear who it's really for. Solid cheap fun though. Apparently it was offered to Tim burton but he turned it down. not really a fan myself but it's interesting to think about
Loved this a lot. Early 90s buscemi role where he plays a broke filmmaker desperate for someone to fund his work. Enter Seymour Cassel, an absolute delight, who funds it by an escalating series of crimes and scams, but whose motives are never really clear at all. Buscemis character was a perfect role for him and the main reason I picked this but Cassel stole the show. Great brief appearances by Jim jarmusch and Carol kane too.

The black and white and voiceover gimmicks had me a bit concerned early on but the whole movie felt like a meta send up of stuffy art types, so I came around quick. Even the ending, which came suddenly and tried to do way too much felt fitting in a way.

At least worth watching for the handful of glimpses of the actual screenplay Buscemi wrote for the part

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Wow, you've been busy Shakes! I know I was around when Watermelon Man came out but I'm having a hard time remembering the reaction to it. I think that it was widely understood for the satire w/ a point that it is as opposed to liberal trigger kind of thing, but I can't be sure.

Just Mercy - Compelling, riveting, horrifying true story, mediocre move. It seemed like the idea was "the story tells and sells itself so let's just tell the story" and if so that wasn't a terrible decision but I feel like it could have been better. I thought Jamie Foxx was terrific and the rest of the cast solid or better than that. Nobody can miss the tragic relevance of the story to our immediate moment.

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

Tuff turf (1987)
Pretty good early Spader and Downey roles, with some hilarious musical performances (and Jim Carroll!). The central feud felt a bit light though and made it kinda frustrating to watch. An unrepentant shithead villain is one thing but when there's no real backstory or explanation or anything it's hard to really care and it just gets annoying at a certain point.