Last Movie Watched

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Shakespeare

Re: Last Movie Watched

Post by Shakespeare »

beantownbubba wrote: Another vote for Blood Simple. Haven't seen it in ages, but boy it was something when it came out. Not sure what you mean by crime movies, Shakes, but I assume you're familiar w/ classics like Chinatown, Godfather I & II, Goodfellas, The Departed, Maltese Falcon, etc. If you're including heist movies, I love The Italian Job, Entrapment, The Hot Rock . There are always more where those came from.
of those, all ive seen is the first godfather and i did not exactly make it all the way through :D i do like the coen films ive seen sof ar, so blood simple will go on the watchlist

going with a broad definition of crime, i suppose. that whole narrative style is just something ive never particularly cared for in the past

or at least havent thought i cared for. i watched the movie fargo circa 2009 and loved it then. watching the show recently mde me feel like i should have used that as more of a jumping off point

scotto

Post by scotto »

Watched this again recently and it's unfortunately relevant:

Kazan at his most feverish, Jack Palance's first film, and location filming in Nawlins. Fun stuff.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Shakespeare wrote:
beantownbubba wrote: Another vote for Blood Simple. Haven't seen it in ages, but boy it was something when it came out. Not sure what you mean by crime movies, Shakes, but I assume you're familiar w/ classics like Chinatown, Godfather I & II, Goodfellas, The Departed, Maltese Falcon, etc. If you're including heist movies, I love The Italian Job, Entrapment, The Hot Rock . There are always more where those came from.
of those, all ive seen is the first godfather and i did not exactly make it all the way through :D i do like the coen films ive seen sof ar, so blood simple will go on the watchlist

going with a broad definition of crime, i suppose. that whole narrative style is just something ive never particularly cared for in the past

or at least havent thought i cared for. i watched the movie fargo circa 2009 and loved it then. watching the show recently mde me feel like i should have used that as more of a jumping off point
All the movies in my "classics" sentence are imho must sees but stop reading, stop typing, stop everything until you've seen Chinatown.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

Now that we are in lock down, I'm going to need some recommendations. My fear is that I'm approaching the end of my favorite media "Music Documentaries". Watched the ZZ Top one this week (pretty good!) and the Oasis one last night (better than I expected). Any and all recommendations are welcome.

....hmm maybe it is a good time to rewatch the Grateful Dead doc on Amazon. So good.
Love each other, Motherfuckers!

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

beantownbubba wrote:
Shakespeare wrote:

All the movies in my "classics" sentence are imho must sees but stop reading, stop typing, stop everything until you've seen Chinatown.
itll have to wait for my library to reopen but ill get to it

last night:
pretty alright romcom. not great, too long and not a ton in the way of chemistry, but it was a solid mindless watch. assume the french original is loads better

lloyd bridges was consistently hysterical, worth it for that alone

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

Flea wrote:Parasite

It's very very good. Go in knowing nothing.

Agreed. I think it's a brilliant film.
Even though I am also a fan of other Best Picture nominees such as The Irishman, Little Women, and Once Upon A Time...in Hollywood, I literally cheered when Parasite won the Oscar for Best Picture.
I recently read the New York Times review of Parasite. It does a nice job of putting forth why Parasite is a superb film.
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

This is excellent!
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

Nebraska (2013)
Was really intrigued by this when I skimmed through Bob odenkirks filmography the other day. It delivered more or less exactly what I hoped (dark road movie about a father and son chasing down a cash prize, lots of great scenery, nice soundtrack) but I really didn't like will forte at all. Bruce dern was fantastic and there was enough here to make a really great movie but forte felt insanely miscast to me. Never really established the right chemistry and felt like a waste of derns work. It was really only that casting that felt off but such a central character it's hard to ignore

Black and White seemed like a fairly pointless gimmick too. The visuals and sound were enough to make it worth watching but it could have been a knockout

Flea

Post by Flea »

Shakespeare wrote:Nebraska (2013)
Was really intrigued by this when I skimmed through Bob odenkirks filmography the other day. It delivered more or less exactly what I hoped (dark road movie about a father and son chasing down a cash prize, lots of great scenery, nice soundtrack) but I really didn't like will forte at all. Bruce dern was fantastic and there was enough here to make a really great movie but forte felt insanely miscast to me. Never really established the right chemistry and felt like a waste of derns work. It was really only that casting that felt off but such a central character it's hard to ignore

Black and White seemed like a fairly pointless gimmick too. The visuals and sound were enough to make it worth watching but it could have been a knockout
I really enjoyed Nebraska, but it's been some time since I saw it. My favorite road movie with old folks is David Lynch's The Straight Story. Check it out, it's very NON-Lynchian.
Now it's dark.

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

not a great movie by any stretch of the imagination (im not into judging old shit by todays standards but the "pretend youre someone else to win the girl" shtick has aged about as bad as any romcom trope) but i really enjoy watching steve guttenberg. no complaints here

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

As a small child living in rural Alabama I loved to take a 3 or 4 foot long stick, my moma called it a switch, and herd my aunt's cows around the pasture while singing the theme song from "Raw Hide". The Blues Brothers sure brought back some memories. I had no idea who Clint Eastwood was back then, I only knew the song.
Recently I've been on a Clint Eastwood kick. I stumbled accross "Paint Your Wagon". Lee Mavin, who I love, was also in it! When I was telling my son about it he told me of a Simpsons episode that covered it. Wish I had seen that first. While I did enjoy it, the movie is a musical and nobody can sing! I still can't get the image of CE singing "onions may burn your eyes but people will make you cry" in a sad/romantic way out of my mind :shock:
Hopfully The Outlaw Josey Wales will remedy this.
and the rest as they say is uh er uh, well somebodies history somewhere?

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Swamp wrote:Recently I've been on a Clint Eastwood kick.
If you haven't and you can, give Honkytonk Man a whirl.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

scotto

Post by scotto »

Finally got around to this last night:

Holy fucking shit.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

cortez the killer wrote:

This is excellent!
This was really good. Blew me away.
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

i watched _Crash_ last night... the Haggis film, not the Cronenberg one which I originally thought i was watching.

lots of things to unpack about racism in america.

Flea

Post by Flea »

tinnitus photography wrote:i watched _Crash_ last night... the Haggis film, not the Cronenberg one which I originally thought i was watching.

lots of things to unpack about racism in america.
That Cronenberg film was kinky.
Now it's dark.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Shaft, the 2019 remake. I really enjoyed this. It didn't take itself too seriously and mostly hit what it aimed for. It's not exactly Oscar material but especially if you know and love the original it's 2 hrs well spent.

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

this was fine. im not really a big documentary fan but it was a hell of a story (joseph brinkley, who built an empire off transplanting goat testicles and also a country radio station) and kept the talking heads to a reasonable handful. the shifting animation style could be a bit much but it was only 80 minutes, not too hard to sit through
Can't remember exactly when I first saw this but my memory of it was vague enough it was like watching it fresh anyway. held up pretty well I thought, especially since teen comedies generally dont. very much a time capsule but i had a good time with it

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

Boyz n’ The Hood

I grew up in the 80’s and was in high school in the mid ‘90’s but had never seen it.

walthers

Post by walthers »

scotto wrote:Finally got around to this last night:

Holy fucking shit.
Yep, outstanding movie and the scenery is unreal. That guys got zero fear. I just went back and listened to his interview on the Joe Rogan Experience, interesting guy. His solar company sounds like a real good thing.

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

this was excellent. hard to fathom its initial X rating by todays standards but thats trivial. bleak with just the right amount of humor, great score, mostly tasteful hallucinatory sequences, and two phenomenal lead performances. hard to ask for more.

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

and this the night before
maybe a bit too close to simply redoing superbad with tweens, and it rode the kids saying bad words gimmick harder than it needed to considering its surprisingly sweet storyline, but not really a movie to nitpick. a good time overall

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Shakespeare wrote:Image
this was excellent. hard to fathom its initial X rating by todays standards but thats trivial. bleak with just the right amount of humor, great score, mostly tasteful hallucinatory sequences, and two phenomenal lead performances. hard to ask for more.
A classic for sure. When I finally got to see it I couldn't understand the X rating either. Given my age at the time and the very different (i.e. pre internet) world we lived in, I was also disappointed that it hadn't done more to earn it :)

Flea

Post by Flea »

beantownbubba wrote:
Shakespeare wrote:Image
A classic for sure. When I finally got to see it I couldn't understand the X rating either. Given my age at the time and the very different (i.e. pre internet) world we lived in, I was also disappointed that it hadn't done more to earn it :)
I suspect the X rating was because of the frank portrayal of homosexuality (Joe's theater encounter, the flashback rape scene0) and the unspoken bond between Joe & Ratso.
Now it's dark.

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

big fan of the book and the true grit movies so i was really curious about this one. far from a great movie but i enjoyed it a lot. portis wrote great characters and glen campbell had a natural charm and that was enough to carry it for me.

scotto

Post by scotto »

Always worth another watch:

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Bad Education, the latest greatly hyped movie from HBO is very well acted from top (Hugh Jackman & Allison Janney to the bottom), but the movie never rises above mediocre. Maybe it's the predictable plot which plays out entirely by the numbers, or the slow pacing, or maybe the story (which is based on a true story I remember) just doesn't support a feature film, but it did not hold my interest and I was more than ready for it to end. The most interesting character to me was the "girl reporter" but she didn't get nearly enough screen time.

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

My son and I have been watching all of the Star Wars movies in chronological order (according to plot, not release date). I like Star Wars but am not a rabid fan, but I’ve always wanted to watch the movies in order. My son is 9 years old and is a rabid fan; he always reminds me or the characters on That 70’s Show when he starts naming characters and vehicles from the movies!

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Beaverdam wrote:My son and I have been watching all of the Star Wars movies in chronological order (according to plot, not release date). I like Star Wars but am not a rabid fan, but I’ve always wanted to watch the movies in order. My son is 9 years old and is a rabid fan; he always reminds me or the characters on That 70’s Show when he starts naming characters and vehicles from the movies!
That should keep you occupied for a while, lol. Enjoy!

walthers

Post by walthers »

The Beastie Boys Movie - If you read the book that came out last year you really are not going to learn anything new but it is very entertaining. One of my all time favorite bands.