Last Movie Watched

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Re: Last Movie Watched

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

I have a ticket for Star Wars: The Force Awakens for tonight, I bought it weeks ago but after traveling for the last 2 weeks almost non stop I'm considering skipping it. Of course I'm finally excited about this thing and if I don't go tonight I might not go for a couple of weeks so there is that plus I've paid for the thing.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:I have a ticker for Star Wars: The Force Awakens for tonight, I bought it weeks ago but after traveling for the last 2 weeks almost non stop I'm considering skipping it. Of course I'm finally excited about this thing and if I don't go tonight I might not go for a couple of weeks so there is that plus I've paid for the thing.
The local theatre I referred to said there hasn't been much demand for tickets for their early screenings tonight. They attribute this to there being so many other theatres in this area offering screenings. I'm also guessing that a lot of folks gravitate towards the stadium style theatres these days. If I knew I wouldn't have to fight a crowd tonight, I might give it a shot. I am excited about the new Star Wars but not to the point that I've seen on social media from other folks. When it comes to sci-fi, I'm more of a Planet of the Apes person than a Star Wars or Star Trek one though I do enjoy those. I've also found myself missing the hobbits this year. I know some folks were less than enamored of the The Hobbit but I enjoyed it.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:I have a ticker for Star Wars: The Force Awakens for tonight, I bought it weeks ago but after traveling for the last 2 weeks almost non stop I'm considering skipping it. Of course I'm finally excited about this thing and if I don't go tonight I might not go for a couple of weeks so there is that plus I've paid for the thing.
The local theatre I referred to said there hasn't been much demand for tickets for their early screenings tonight. They attribute this to there being so many other theatres in this area offering screenings. I'm also guessing that a lot of folks gravitate towards the stadium style theatres these days. If I knew I wouldn't have to fight a crowd tonight, I might give it a shot. I am excited about the new Star Wars but not to the point that I've seen on social media from other folks. When it comes to sci-fi, I'm more of a Planet of the Apes person than a Star Wars or Star Trek one though I do enjoy those. I've also found myself missing the hobbits this year. I know some folks were less than enamored of the The Hobbit but I enjoyed it.
I'm more of a Star Trek fan than a Star Wars fan myself but since Abrams "Star Wars-ized" Trek in his two films in that universe it will be nice to see what he does with the genuine article. Unlike most I do not hate the prequels and prefer exposition and explanation of motivations to endless action but I know what I'm getting into with SWTFA. The reviews are 95% positive so if I don't enjoy it I guess it's my own fault.

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
I'm more of a Star Trek fan than a Star Wars fan myself but since Abrams "Star Wars-ized" Trek in his two films in that universe it will be nice to see what he does with the genuine article. Unlike most I do not hate the prequels and prefer exposition and explanation of motivations to endless action but I know what I'm getting into with SWTFA. The reviews are 95% positive so if I don't enjoy it I guess it's my own fault.
Someone on YouTube took every clip from every trailer, teaser, TV ad, foreign trailer, etc. and pieced it together into a guessed chronological sequence, and the story that unfolds, though simple, looks pretty good. There's not a ton to it, as I think it's mostly creating a framework for Ep8 and Ep9, but the barrage of random shots that trailers give us makes sense in his edit
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

In honor of The Force Awakens

Beebs is not a ragey man

Flea

Post by Flea »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:I have a ticket for Star Wars: The Force Awakens for tonight, I bought it weeks ago but after traveling for the last 2 weeks almost non stop I'm considering skipping it. Of course I'm finally excited about this thing and if I don't go tonight I might not go for a couple of weeks so there is that plus I've paid for the thing.

Going to see it on a 50' x 70' IMAX screen the day after Xmas. People who spoil will be hunted down and terminated with extreme prejudice.
Now it's dark.

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

I really enjoyed this movie and plan to see it again.
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

Kudzu Guillotine

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
I also enjoy Star Trek but have gotten sort of burned out on the big blockbuster type movies in general in recent years. There's an art house cinema just up the street from me that's going out of business soon. There are others around town (and in this area) but I'm going to miss this one. Probably my last movie there was Brooklyn a few weeks ago. I can't stand the big stadium like theatres though I do still find myself there on occasion.

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

Bill in CT wrote:Image

Same here, loads of fun .

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

I was impressed and didn't expect to be. If I hadn't bought my ticket weeks ago I almost certainly would have let the hype get me, hunkered down in a fit of stubbornness and just blown it off, at least until it got to iTunes or whatever. Of course that's why I bought the ticket because after 54 years I know me a little bit and I've seen every Star Wars film within a day release over the last 39 years. Anyway I'm glad I went. My initial reaction is that this is the best Star Wars movie since The Empire Strikes Back. I've said many times before that I don't hate the prequels, ok The Phantom Menace did kind of suck, but while the story of those films was entertaining the execution was lacking. In all three of those films the only really solid performances were from Ian McDiarmid as Palpatine and Ewan McGregor as Obi Wan. The rest ranged from meh to awful and that hurt the movies. Now I enjoy even the silliest sci fi movies so I was able to look past those flaws. Heck even the original trilogy had some questionable execution from the Ewoks to Mark Hammil's occasional bad acting. This one was very well acted by virtually everyone and moved at the fastest pace of any SW movie since Empire. If the purpose of a big budget movie is to be thoroughly entertained and occasionally delighted this one succeeded at both.

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:I've said many times before that I don't hate the prequels, ok The Phantom Menace did kind of suck, but while the story of those films was entertaining the execution was lacking.
The Phantom Menace sucked so bad I didn't bother seeing the next two.
Beebs is not a ragey man

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I thought JJ Abrams made the best Star Wars movie that was possible given the baggage the franchise carries. I loved it

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Erdlivz

Post by Erdlivz »

Yes. Badass. It exceeded my expectations and my expectations were high.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

Beebs wrote:In honor of The Force Awakens

just watched that a few days back, 10+ minutes of pure hilarity
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

whatwouldcooleydo?

Bill, I came so close to texting you this morning to ask how many times you've seen it so far :lol:

whatwouldcooleydo?

quite entertaining. The scene with Free Bird alone makes it a worthy watching

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

I saw this on 12/19 at Film Forum in NYC. It combines performance footage with interviews to great effect. I recommend it very much.

Something that Johnny Cash said about Maybelle Carter reminded me of something that NFL Hall of Famers have said about Jim Brown. If a bunch of Hall of Famers are sitting in a room and Brown walks in, the rest of them stand up and pay attention to him. Cash said that Maybelle was the biggest star he's ever been around without even trying to be a star…and he's been around them all.

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

"I've never seen Star Wars" the new "I'm a vegan"

http://newsthump.com/2015/12/17/ive-nev ... m-a-vegan/

Kudzu Guillotine

whatwouldcooleydo?

watched this last night, had not seen it since watching it in the theater when it was originally released

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

thoroughly enjoyed.

Flea

Post by Flea »

Now it's dark.

whatwouldcooleydo?

thoroughly enjoyed our traditional plate of Christmas movies!

Flea

Post by Flea »

Damn you, JJ Abrams!
Now it's dark.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Really beautifully shot. Makes me regret not forking over the cash to see it in person

Flea

Post by Flea »

Zip City wrote:Image

Really beautifully shot. Makes me regret not forking over the cash to see it in person

I did, and it was worth every penny.
Now it's dark.