Last Movie Watched

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

njMark

Re: Last Movie Watched

Post by njMark »

Wreck it Ralph
Hotel Transylvania
Rise of the Guardians

In an endless loop with my 4 year old.

dogstar

Post by dogstar »

"Guitars talk. If you really want to write a song, ask a guitar." Neil Young

dogstar

Post by dogstar »

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

i rarely see movies in the theatre, but watched Spring Breakers yesterday. overall, pretty good. Franco did a great job.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

tinnitus photography wrote:i rarely see movies in the theatre, but watched Spring Breakers yesterday. overall, pretty good. Franco did a great job.

Hmmmm, I think you may have missed the big picture there, tin(m),
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

on Netflix instant---these are all must sees for music buffs:

In my blood, there's gasoline..

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

beantownbubba wrote:
tinnitus photography wrote:i rarely see movies in the theatre, but watched Spring Breakers yesterday. overall, pretty good. Franco did a great job.

well the boobs were good, too.

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

tinnitus photography wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:

well the boobs were good, too.

I liked Jason Isbell's tweet about having to see this (a trade-off for seeing Money Mike or something?)....i remember loving Gummo, but then again, it was made in Xenia, Ohio and i was going through my weird/indie phase. if i saw Kids or Gummo today, i'd walk out..

dogstar

Post by dogstar »

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

Probably not everyone's kind of humor but there were periods when I could not breath.
Beebs is not a ragey man

Mrs Swamp

Post by Mrs Swamp »

Just watched this movie and it was craaaaaaaaazyyyyy,,, but hilarious.. :lol:
http://www.imdb.com/media/rm609531392/t ... f_=tt_ov_i
I've heard tales of what goes down there ...

dogstar

Post by dogstar »

Flea

Post by Flea »

Now it's dark.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

ImageImageImageImage

A slew of documentaries. Thanks to Penny for the heads up on the Ronnie Lane one. A friend of mine was raving about it several years back but I wasn't aware it was on the Netflix streaming site. It showed that I knew next to nothing about Ronnie Lane despite the fact that I'd heard his name so often through the years whether it was in conjunction with the Faces, the Rough Mix album with Townshend or via the A.R.M.S. concerts in the 80's. I guess the same could be said about Roky Erickson, Harry Nilsson and Big Star as well. I think the only thing I have by 13th Floor Elevators is "You're Gonna Miss Me" from the Nuggets box set so there's lots of exploring left to do there. When I was growing up I had a friend that was way into Harry Nilsson but I've never delved into his work at all. He came to my attention again a couple of years ago when a local DJ friend dropped "Jump Into the Fire" into one of his sets. I had no idea he was responsible for so many other songs including "One Is the Loneliest Number" or that the beat of the song had been inspired by a busy signal. Also, be forewarned that "Living Without You" will leave an earworm ringing in your head for days afterwards (at least it did with me).

Nothing Can Hurt Me: The Big Star Story was showing for free yesterday as the Full Frame Documentary Festival came to a close in Durham. I rode over on the off chance of getting in and just so happened to luck out by being the first in line. Like a lot of folks, I came to Big Star late in the game. In so doing, I found it hard to get into their music at first, despite the fact that so many bands I love had cited them as an influence. My first real breakthrough in that regard were the Big Star Sister Lovers/Third concerts that Chris Stamey orchestrated at the Cat's Cradle in Carrboro back in 2010. I had picked up the #1 Record/Radio City two-fer years ago and had learned to appreciate it but hearing some of those songs live as part of the Sister Lovers/Third concerts is what really did the trick. This documentary has only helped to deepen that appreciation as it digs deep into the interpersonal relationships among the band members that really made that group tick. I also have to cite Brent Best and the Drams here as their cover of Chris Bell's "I Am the Cosmos" at a woefully under attended show at the Hideaway BBQ in Raleigh several years ago played a huge part in me realizing just how big of a role Chris had played in Big Star. The movie not only does an excellent job of covering their formative years and all of the obstacles they faced, it also goes into great detail in regards to the post Big Star years, the majority of which I was completely oblivious to. Very highly recommended as I know there are lots of Big Star fans here. From what I've read, it sounds like Nothing Can Hurt Me: The Big Star Story will be out on DVD in the fall. This movie deserves a wide theatrical release but I doubt it receives one. I guess it's indicative of their whole story that it only seems to be being shown at places like SXSW (last year) and at documentary fests such as Full Frame. Also, I must say Chris Stamey and the Fellow Travelers (a collective of local artists he's embraced such as Django Haskins [The Old Ceremony], Brett Harris, Skylar Gudasz [Spooky Woods], Matt McMichaels (Mayflies USA), etc.) as well as a string section did a remarkable jot of setting the stage for the documentary by performing a short set of Big Star covers prior to the screening.

The lone non-music documentary here is Waiting For Lightning, the story of Danny Way, who jumped over the Great Wall of China on his skateboard back in 2005. While that event serves as the centerpiece of the movie, it's only a part of it as the documentary gets into all of the challenges he faced growing up in a broken home and how that fueled the fire when it comes to his passion for skateboarding. Very inspiring and a must see for anyone that's a fan of the sport.

Kudzu Guillotine

I thought this was pretty well done but for those expecting a concert film, it's not really that at all (though there is music). It's more of a documentary based around reaction to the war in Iraq with CSNY's Freedom of Speech tour in 2006 serving as the catalyst. Neil's Living With War was new at the time so that also figures very prominently into it. The main thing I got out of it was that Neil (as well as Crosby, Stills and Nash) was just wanting to stir up some sort of emotion and get people to react, good or bad to the war in Iraq. There is a great juxtaposition to how their music was received in the 60's and 70's against the backdrop of the Vietnam war compared to how we respond to war in the present day. So, in that sense Déjà Vu serves as a wake up call of sorts. The film gets really interesting in that regard when it hits the South (Atlanta, in particular). When they launch into Neil's "Let's Impeach the President" there is a very visible response from the crowd. However, the thing that baffles me is that some of the people refer to what they've just witnessed as "too political". These are the same people that are supposedly fans of a band and artists that have done political material and have been very outspoken in that regard throughout their respective careers. I'm not exactly sure what they were expecting. There are also plenty of touching moments, especially their performance of "Find the Cost of Freedom" while a widescreen display of those killed in Iraq is shown behind them onstage with the total increasing the entire time.

dogstar

Post by dogstar »

Really enjoyed this and I highly recommend it. As someone who coaches kids rugby there was lots in this film I could relate to, although the kids I coach come from a much better neighbourhood we're dealing with some of the same issues and trying to instill the same values.

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

Duplass bros. films always seem to be built on some silly bromance, schtick but turn out to be good, sincere stories.
Beebs is not a ragey man

dogstar

Post by dogstar »

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Lurleen & I saw this on Saturday night. It was a really good film with some good insight from Keith Richards, Mick Jagger, Clarence Carter, Aretha Franklin and others. It was really the story of Rick Hall and the Swampers (David Hood, Roger Hawkins, Jimmy Johnson) and all the great music that came out of there in the sixties and seventies. The one thing I kept thinking is what a great cable TV series or mini series this would make. The stories, even some only briefly touched upon, are amazing. Highly recommend this film.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Kudzu Guillotine

Tequila Cowboy wrote:Image

Lurleen & I saw this on Saturday night. It was a really good film with some good insight from Keith Richards, Mick Jagger, Clarence Carter, Aretha Franklin and others. It was really the story of Rick Hall and the Swampers (David Hood, Roger Hawkins, Jimmy Johnson) and all the great music that came out of there in the sixties and seventies. The one thing I kept thinking is what a great cable TV series or mini series this would make. The stories, even some only briefly touched upon, are amazing. Highly recommend this film.

Some friends of mine saw this at the Full Frame Documentary Festival in Durham a couple of weekends ago and were floored by it. Unfortunately I've yet to attend anything other than a couple of screenings there, the Kinks documentary Do It Again: One Man's Quest To Reunite the Kinks (2010) and Big Star: Nothing Can Hurt Me (2013). Maybe next year I'll get a pass to the whole thing. By the way, in the review I recently posted for Big Star: Nothing Can Hurt Me in this thread, I said it would be out on DVD in the fall. That may still be true but I also recently read it would be opening theatrically on July 3rd. On that same date it will also be available through iTunes and on demand.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

This was SO GOOD! (this has probably been discussed on here before)

Throughout the whole thing, I kept wondering...was BillinCt at this Webster Hall Pentagram Bobby Liebling comeback show??? I need to know.

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

Penny Lane wrote:This was SO GOOD! (this has probably been discussed on here before)

Throughout the whole thing, I kept wondering...was BillinCt at this Webster Hall Pentagram Bobby Liebling comeback show??? I need to know.

I wasn't at that show! Pentagram remains on my bucket list...really need to see that band.
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

dogstar

Post by dogstar »

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

Beebs is not a ragey man

Flea

Post by Flea »

Now it's dark.

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

I saw the New England premiere of this one on Saturday at the Somerville Theatre in Massachusetts. It was part of the Independent Film Festival that is held in the Boston area every Spring. I had never read this play and now I want to do so. I thought it was lots of fun and the actors were terrific. Cast members Fran Kranz and Jillian Morgese did a q&a following the movie. We learned that Joss Whedon had a 2-week vacation from The Avengers and was originally going to use the time to go to Italy...but then changed his mind and shot this film at his house in 12 days.
One of my friends who was there said she is currently playing Ursula in a production of MAAN and there is an unwritten theatre rule that actors doing a play should not see said play in any form while their production is running but her director gave her permission to attend. :)
The movie opens in New York, San Francisco, and Los Angeles on June 7 with other cities to follow thereafter. I highly recommend checking it out if it comes near you.
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

The Black Canary

Post by The Black Canary »

I know it hasn't come out yet, but totally juiced for this one!!!! they really did a great job on the pre-quill to the original series!!! Campy and fun!!!! love love love!!!!
so what is it like living with your mommy again BWAHAHAHAHAH