Last Movie Watched

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Bill in CT

Re: Last Movie Watched

Post by Bill in CT »

I saw this on Monday night. I really enjoyed it. I will probably see it again at the cinema before it leaves.
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Bill in CT wrote:Image

I saw this on Monday night. I really enjoyed it. I will probably see it again at the cinema before it leaves.

I enjoyed it as well
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

I saw War Horse last night. It was slightly artsy-fartsy (being British & all); but it was a very good story. Spielberg/Dreamworks adaptation of a book written by Micheal Morpurgo. He based the story on conversations he had with WW1 veterans & created the ultimate tale of the bond between a boy & a horse. It was visually magnificent & the battle scenes were very realistic. I'd recommend this one.
A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Mrs Swamp

Post by Mrs Swamp »

I love Holiday movie`s and I loved this one ...
I've heard tales of what goes down there ...

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Very enjoyable movie but mostly from a special effects standpoint since the acting (or maybe it was just a shitty script) left so much to be desired. Also can't say that I ever bought into Kristen Stewart as Snow White.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:Image

Very enjoyable movie but mostly from a special effects standpoint since the acting (or maybe it was just a shitty script) left so much to be desired. Also can't say that I ever bought into Kristen Stewart as Snow White.

She was decent as Marylou in On the Road. On the positive side, she was naked 90% of the time.

Kudzu Guillotine

Smitty wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:Image

She was decent as Marylou in On the Road. On the positive side, she was naked 90% of the time.

Her acting wasn't all that bad but she doesn't exactly exude sunshine. Sort of like Robert Smith of the Cure playing Santa. I'm curious about seeing On the Road even though I have a sinking feeling that I'm not going to like it. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be playing in my neck of the woods yet and even if it was, the next time I fork over the cash to see something at the theatre it's most likely going to be for The Hobbit.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
Her acting wasn't all that bad but she doesn't exactly exude sunshine. Sort of like Robert Smith of the Cure playing Santa. I'm curious about seeing On the Road even though I have a sinking feeling that I'm not going to like it. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be playing in my neck of the woods yet and even if it was, the next time I fork over the cash to see something at the theatre it's most likely going to be for The Hobbit.

I got an imported DVD (it's already out in some European countries). It's got a couple good performances (the guy who plays Dean and Viggo Mortenson as Old Bull Lee, although it severely rushed) and if I had not read the book I may have enjoyed it more, but all in all it was a severe disappointment and about what you would expect trying to condense OTR into a 2 hour movie. The cinematography and locations were beautiful, though.
It also has a sex scene featuring Steve Buscemi which is nothing I cared about seeing (and I don't remember it happening in the book; he plays the driver when Dean & Sal are carpooling with back to NY after Camille kicks them out of San Fran)

LuthierJustin

Post by LuthierJustin »

LJ: 3DD's resident hipster

Kudzu Guillotine

Reviews from critics seem to be pretty mixed on this but most people I know that have seen it, loved it. It's not like a bad review was going to stop me from seeing it anyway. I opted for the 2-D experience and was not disappointed. Yes, it's long (just as the others were) and there's some moments where the story moves pretty slow but there were plenty of intense action sequences to make up for any lulls. I haven't read the book since high school and even then, I don't think I ever finished it. Probably need to revisit it just to compare it to the movie.

Kudzu Guillotine

I used to play some cuts off of the soundtrack to this movie on our college radio station but I'd never actually seen the documentary until today. For some reason, I was thinking it was going to be more of an actual documentary rather than a series of live clips. Still, I wasn't disappointed by it in the least and thought it did a very good job of representing this era of 80's music in regard to the bands. In other words, not every artist that reached prominence in the 80's was typical of the usual MTV fare.

Back in the 80's, my oldest nephew would introduce me to a lot of the music he was into whether it was the Dead Kennedys, the Circle Jerks, Bauhaus, the Jesus and the Mary Chain, Butthole Surfers, Gene Loves Jezebel or the Minutemen. A connection wasn't always made but at least I was exposed to music I would have never heard otherwise. By the way, this was before cable came to my neck of the woods so there was no 120 Minutes or Postmodern MTV. All I had were music magazines and the local album rock stations as far as getting turned onto anything beyond the norm. Thankfully WQDR and Spectator magazine were very receptive to our local music scene so I did hear about local and regional bands such as R.E.M., the dB's, Let's Active, Dayroom Monitors, Other Bright Colors, UV Prom, the Connells, etc. without the benefit of MTV. All that said, I never really connected with the Minutemen and I still don't, even after watching this documentary. However, what I do have is an appreciation of them. I know of lots of folks that wouldn't even make the effort. They'd hear the first few notes of one of their songs and say, "turn that shit off".

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

blessedcurse

Post by blessedcurse »

With the boy.....
Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them. - Thoreau

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Love Actually - I still really like this movie after many years and many viewings.

Les Miz - If you already love it, you'll probably love the movie too, and at the very least there's no reason that you wouldn't at least like it a lot. If you're mystified by all the fuss, i don't think this version will change your mind. I thought Hugh Jackman was excellent, Russell Crowe wasn't and the female leads were fine but unremarkable.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Django Unchained - Fanfuckingtastic!!! But be warned, seriously violent/gory in the Tarantino tradition.

LuthierJustin

Post by LuthierJustin »

Flea

Post by Flea »

Now it's dark.

UTHeathen

Post by UTHeathen »

Finally watched Christmas Vacation for the first time ever and, while it made me laugh out loud a couple of times, I sure didn't get the warm fuzzies like everyone else seems to with this movie. Maybe I just haven't had multiple viewings or maybe it's a generational thing.

After Christmas Vacation we watched The Artist. Totally different reaction to this fine film. I absolutely loved this movie. It's not really true that "it took a dog to make the story good", but it sure didn't hurt. Satisfying from start to finish. And now I'm in love with another stunning unattainable actress. Thanks a lot Bérénice Bejo! Thanks a (sniff) lot.

LuthierJustin

Post by LuthierJustin »

The Black Canary

Post by The Black Canary »

Saw "the Debt", pretty much all I can say is I saw it...dragged on like mollasses on a front porch in January in Maine!!!!
so what is it like living with your mommy again BWAHAHAHAHAH

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

i watched this last night...pretty fucking heavy. talk about fuck-ups:

also this one...had just finished Get In The Van and was surprised that Rollins made no mention of Markey and his camera on this tour...the scant bits of Henry off stage make it clear he didn't like Markey (as well as the slag in the book about his band, Painted Willie).

Last edited by tinnitus photography on Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Looper - I enjoyed this, but time travel movies always make my head hurt.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

beantownbubba wrote:Looper - I enjoyed this, but time travel movies always make my head hurt.

I love time travel movies! Have been meaning to check this out.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

dogstar

Post by dogstar »

beantownbubba wrote:Yeah, the name is kind of stupid and the movie pulls its punches in the last 20 minutes or so, but i gotta tell ya, i really really, really liked Silver Linings Playbook. Never even heard of it until about an hour before we went, so it was a very nice surprise. Great acting by all and Jennifer Lawrence is whatever comes after hot (godDAMN, brains are so fucking sexy [too]!!). Nice to see DeNiro actually act for a change instead of just trying to chew up scenery or pick up a paycheck. Acting, writing, directing, heat/chemistry, this movie pretty much has it all.

Oh, yeah, forgot to say: Alabama Shakes, among others, on the very good soundtrack.

x2.
"Guitars talk. If you really want to write a song, ask a guitar." Neil Young

Sian-of-the-dead

Post by Sian-of-the-dead »

Just watched Grown Ups with Adam Sandler, Chris Rock et al. Nothing arty, farty or deep, just damn funny :D
Truck Log Auditor extraordinaire.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

I'm not a movie buff at all.

I mostly like westerns and older (read WWII) war movies. So I aint in my element here.

I watched Tinker, Taylor, Soldier, Spy last night.

I guess it was alright. I got the feeling that I was missing something like something important had happened and I didn't catch it. Seemed like they did a good job at what they were trying to do. It was slow in spots to me. My sister loves movies and raved about it but I tend not to like the stuff that movie lovers think is great so who knows?
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Watched a shitload of movies lately (got a Roku player for my TV for Christmas):
On The Road
Hope Springs
This is 40
The Fighter
Pearl Jam Twenty
Salton Sea
Killer Joe
Cabin in the Woods
Paranorman
DBT 6/22/06 amazing show/video -

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Cole Younger wrote:I'm not a movie buff at all.

I mostly like westerns and older (read WWII) war movies. So I aint in my element here.

I guess it was alright. I got the feeling that I was missing something like something important had happened and I didn't catch it. Seemed like they did a good job at what they were trying to do. It was slow in spots to me. My sister loves movies and raved about it but I tend not to like the stuff that movie lovers think is great so who knows?

Was this the movie version or the old Alec Guinness TV version? I'm guessing the movie version whichI remember liking but thinking that if you hadn't read the book it might be difficult to follow. That appears to be what happened, which is too bad - it's a great story. If you've a mind to, both the book & the TV version are well worth your time but fair warning, I'm pretty much a nut when it comes to John LeCarre.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

beantownbubba wrote:
Cole Younger wrote:I'm not a movie buff at all.

Was this the movie version or the old Alec Guinness TV version? I'm guessing the movie version whichI remember liking but thinking that if you hadn't read the book it might be difficult to follow. That appears to be what happened, which is too bad - it's a great story. If you've a mind to, both the book & the TV version are well worth your time but fair warning, I'm pretty much a nut when it comes to John LeCarre.

Yeah it was the movie bubba. Had no idea there was a book but I'm glad you told me. Like I said, I don't care about movies that much but I love to read so I would enjoy the book version of anything over the movie no matter what it was. I'll give it a shot.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.