The Neverending Thread for Political Shit

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

beantownbubba

Re: The Neverending Thread for Political Shit

Post by beantownbubba »

Thanks to Catherine Rampell of the WaPo for the word of the day: "beclowned"

As in Congress has beclowned itself with the debt limit fiasco.

As always, we have a rush to judgment about who won/lost, is it good/bad, what happens next, but at this point nobody knows nuthin'. Literally. The details haven't been even made public yet and as we know, the devil is in the details. Given their reaction, I guess we can assume the freedom caucus lost but they and we don't really know that yet.

And the fact that the debt limit still exists means that we have all lost big time.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Let's take a minute or three to remember and appreciate the sacrifices of those whose actions and determination bequeathed this still amazing, singular country to us. And their families whose losses are also unimaginable. We owe them more than we can repay but protecting our democracy and being a beacon of freedom for the world seems like the least we can do for them. Let's get our act together.

Wolf

Post by Wolf »

beantownbubba wrote:
Mon May 29, 2023 11:30 am
Let's take a minute or three to remember and appreciate the sacrifices of those whose actions and determination bequeathed this still amazing, singular country to us. And their families whose losses are also unimaginable. We owe them more than we can repay but protecting our democracy and being a beacon of freedom for the world seems like the least we can do for them. Let's get our act together.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQMBhsBBABw

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

"The tan suit" is back. The New York Times wants to know, no, they REALLY want to know: Do dress sneakers belong in the oval office? What next? Shoulder baring dresses? On the men?

Really, New York Times? No wars, disasters, climate change, shootings, acts of kindness, anything else to report? Good grief.

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

sadly that's the clickbait shit that drives eyeballs and page views.

my company's browser has MSN.com set as a home page by default, and the stupid headlines are so fucking annoying.

"NFL world reacts to Tom Brady's sock selection"

"Elon Musk was furious to find out his pantry is out of Rice Krispies"

"Video of toddler juggling flaming batons is going viral"

"Pelosi drops truth bomb about Mitch McConnell's wattle"

it's all so dumb.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

It’s why The NY Times Pitch Bot is one of the funniest follows on Twitter
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

One out of every 3 adults in MA experienced food insecurity in 2022. One in 5 experienced "prolonged" food insecurity during that period.

WATF????? :x :oops: :x :x :x

As it happens, a substantial portion of our charitable giving goes to hunger relief organizations but I had no idea it was this bad right here in my backyard. This is intolerable and shameful. How to fix it is of course the hard question.

brettac1

Post by brettac1 »

Seems like a good time to do some more means-testing and make cuts to TANF in order to make a deal to raise the debt ceiling.
Do you ever get tired of singin' songs
Like all your pain is just another fuckin' sing along?

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

beantownbubba wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 3:19 pm
One out of every 3 adults in MA experienced food insecurity in 2022. One in 5 experienced "prolonged" food insecurity during that period.

As it happens, a substantial portion of our charitable giving goes to hunger relief organizations but I had no idea it was this bad right here in my backyard. This is intolerable and shameful. How to fix it is of course the hard question.
Cut the budget for the Pentagon by say 20%. No more hunger anywhere in the states. Whatever's leftover put to medical research.

brettac1

Post by brettac1 »

chuckrh wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 6:56 pm
beantownbubba wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 3:19 pm

Cut the budget for the Pentagon by say 20%. No more hunger anywhere in the states. Whatever's leftover put to medical research.
https://www.opensecrets.org/industries/ ... 2020&ind=D

Feeding poor people doesn't make money. Selling weapons all around the globe does. Thus, into the woodchipper they go. This problem won't go anywhere as long as the country keeps electing politicians who promise "market-based" fixes for problems that should not involve markets. Money gets shoveled to some NGO's, politicians can tout that they did *something* and the beat goes on.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

brettac1 wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 9:06 am
This problem won't go anywhere as long as the country keeps electing politicians who promise "market-based" fixes for problems that should not involve markets.
No doubt there was a time that this was an essentially correct analysis. I'm not sure it's still true or maybe just not wholly true. I think we've devolved into a "simpler" time which involves some combination of meanness and an "if they're for it I'm against it" mentality. Or perhaps put even more simply, feeding hungry people has become another victim of the culture wars.

brettac1

Post by brettac1 »

beantownbubba wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 2:35 pm
brettac1 wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 9:06 am
This problem won't go anywhere as long as the country keeps electing politicians who promise "market-based" fixes for problems that should not involve markets.
No doubt there was a time that this was an essentially correct analysis. I'm not sure it's still true or maybe just not wholly true. I think we've devolved into a "simpler" time which involves some combination of meanness and an "if they're for it I'm against it" mentality. Or perhaps put even more simply, feeding hungry people has become another victim of the culture wars.
It's probably a uniquely American thing. You can get an awful lot of people on board with things like work requirements, means-testing, and the like because there is virtually zero class consciousness among the working class.

You can always get a majority of this country on board with pissing on people who are poorer than them. We've been indoctrinated with the myth of the meritocracy. I'm sure there is a piece of culture war stuff in there, too, but you'll find plenty of "liberals" who believe in the welfare queen stereotype and things of that sort. It's quite easy to get folks on board with the idea that these people are poor by choice or however you want to frame it. Right-wingers can tell their base that this punishes lazy black people, Democrats can say that it punishes redneck Trump voters who didn't even go to college and therefore deserve to be poor. Everyone wins.

305 Engine

Post by 305 Engine »

brettac1 wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 4:22 pm

You can always get a majority of this country on board with pissing on people who are poorer than them.
This reminded me of a thread I saw on twitter recently from the writer George Monbiot.

I won't cut and paste the whole thing, but while this reflects a fairly negative view of human nature unfortunately it rings true to an extent:

"When life is pretty shit.....- there's a short cut some people take to feeling better: revelling in the suffering of others. If someone else is being pushed down, you've risen in the pecking order, even if your life hasn't improved.

brettac1

Post by brettac1 »

305 Engine wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:36 am
brettac1 wrote:

You can always get a majority of this country on board with pissing on people who are poorer than them.
This reminded me of a thread I saw on twitter recently from the writer George Monbiot.

I won't cut and paste the whole thing, but while this reflects a fairly negative view of human nature unfortunately it rings true to an extent:

"When life is pretty shit.....- there's a short cut some people take to feeling better: revelling in the suffering of others. If someone else is being pushed down, you've risen in the pecking order, even if your life hasn't improved.
That's the culture that things like means-tested programs create. It's intentional.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

305 Engine wrote:
while this reflects a fairly negative view of human nature unfortunately it rings true to an extent:

OMG, 305, no need to apologize for this, it's exactly the way things are. It turns out that status and the lack thereof have a huge impact on human behavior. It explains at least a part of where racism comes from and at least imho is a huge part of the anxiety and displacement of white men we hear so much about. No matter how shit your life was, you still had more status than [pick one or more] African Americans (and damn I can't stand calling them that), women, foreigners, non-heterosexuals and pretty much anyone who wasn't you and that allowed you to feel better about yourself. That is clearly gone (or going wherever it's not gone) and the results are just plain ugly.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

I give up. I cannot make heads or tails about the whole debt ceiling debacle and "resolution." I've been reading a lot about it from different perspectives in the past couple of days and I haven't found a single person who has anything sensible to say about what happened and where we are. Just for starters:

We went to the brink of disaster for THAT result?
Whatever happened to not letting the Repubs hold the credit of the US hostage?
While in some ways the deal is a compromise sort of like the ones we are always urging politicians to make, it's not really like that and the only sensible response for the Freedom Caucus should be to dump McCarthy. Having the ability to do so is why we went through the pain and embarrassment of 15 speaker ballots and yet, that group gets virtually nothing that it wanted (unless you squint really hard) but they're giving the Speaker a pass. I don't get it.
If you care about cutting spending, seriously? You're gonna look the public in the eye and say this bill makes a dent in the debt?
Sensibly raising taxes was never on the table but, once again, what possible justification is there for cutting IRS funding, which was intended to be used to go after tax cheats? What this says is "we're just kidding, we don't expect the law to be enforced." Huh?
I saw one article today that tried to make the case that this is a win for McCarthy and raises his stature. In what universe might that be? The assumptions and characterizations that go into reaching that conclusion seem like pure fiction to me.
Biden once again proved his mettle as a master negotiator? Yeah, if totally caving on your #1 priority (no negotiations over raising the debt ceiling) is good negotiating. Beyond that ("other than that Mrs. Lincoln..."), yeah he did somewhat get the measure of the spineless and useless McCarthy. That's an achievement to celebrate?

Inside the Beltway is just a different country, if not a different planet. Shaking my head.

brettac1

Post by brettac1 »

There was no reason to even negotiate at all. It's a make-believe "crisis." Maybe the all-powerful senate parliamentarian will strike it down.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

brettac1 wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:30 am
There was no reason to even negotiate at all. It's a make-believe "crisis."
That's either true or it isn't. It doesn't matter. As long as people believe it's a crisis, it's a crisis. And people really believed, perhaps this time more than any of the previous iterations of the same nonsense.

brettac1

Post by brettac1 »

beantownbubba wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 12:08 pm
brettac1 wrote:
That's either true or it isn't. It doesn't matter. As long as people believe it's a crisis, it's a crisis. And people really believed, perhaps this time more than any of the previous iterations of the same nonsense.
Who knows what any of them "believe." Apparently it never dawned on the dumbasses in the administration that they should have taken care of this when they had both majorities, even when anyone with a brain could see it coming. Of course then they would have had the old reliable excuse of "we really wanted to do it but Joe Manchin wouldn't let us."

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

brettac1 wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 12:47 pm
beantownbubba wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 12:08 pm
brettac1 wrote:
Who knows what any of them "believe." Apparently it never dawned on the dumbasses in the administration that they should have taken care of this when they had both majorities, even when anyone with a brain could see it coming. Of course then they would have had the old reliable excuse of "we really wanted to do it but Joe Manchin wouldn't let us."
Oh, I have no idea what actual politicians believe, and I share what I infer as your observation that they either believe nothing or whatever's expedient in the moment. But I don't think that there can be any doubt that the surrounding bubble of media, think tanks, talking heads, professional opiners, financiers and bankers and other "thought leaders" really believed that the risk was real.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

305 Engine wrote:
brettac1 wrote:

It’s why so many low wage workers fight against raising the minimum wage. If they are making $11/hr and someone else is making $9, they don’t want everyone to go up to $15 (even though it benefits them as well)
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

"Everybody" is getting excited about Trump's potential indictment on the classified documents fiasco and I hope he is. Trump is certainly going off the deep end about it if his social media post is any indication. If he is indicted it is anybody's guess if he'll be convicted but the possibility that an under indictment presidential candidate will have to withdraw from the '24 race is somewhere between none and zero when it comes to Trump.

As I think I've said multiple times before, there's really no point in beating the dead horse that is Ron DeSantis but OTOH it is hard to let the really outrageous stuff pass without comment. His insistence on resuming his war on migrants is disgusting and once again evidence of his bullying nature but what I don't get is why the people of FL are okay with this. How does jetting migrants from TX to CA benefit Floridians in any way? Are Floridians happy with this use of their tax money?

So now we have a state funded religious school in OK. This was inevitable but no less depressing for that. The sad and scary march towards theocracy continues apace, stoked by the -ahem- apolitical Supreme Court. Issues I thought were decided literally decades ago are suddenly back on the front burner and that ain't good.

Kevin McCarthy continues as speaker which, a week after the debt deal, appears to signal significant weakness in the until this week "all powerful" Freedom Caucus. I don't understand any of it. OTOH I do understand why George Santos is still in Congress (thank you Mr. Speaker) but his behavior gets even shabbier pretty much every news cycle or two. If it were possible at this point his continuation in office would bring Congress into further disrepute.

brettac1

Post by brettac1 »

Trump could get sentenced to life in prison next week and he'd still beat Meatball Ron by 20.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

beantownbubba wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:37 am
Kevin McCarthy continues as speaker which, a week after the debt deal, appears to signal significant weakness in the until this week "all powerful" Freedom Caucus. I don't understand any of it.
Curiouser and curiouser. As I understand it, the Freedom Caucus is now refusing to pass any bills unless/until McCarthy puts in writing his previous agreements w/ the Caucus. ROFL. They have the power to remove him, or at least make him run again and kowtow further in order to win but nope, they want him to sign a piece of paper. What a bunch of pussies.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

You can't make this shit up. I'd call it a circus but these clowns give circuses, and clowns for that matter, a bad name.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... 3a6d4f5e78

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

beantownbubba wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:08 am
You can't make this shit up. I'd call it a circus but these clowns give circuses, and clowns for that matter, a bad name.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... 3a6d4f5e78
This fits the clowns are scary theory. Like Pennywise.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

If it wasn't clear before it's now crystal clear that Trump screwed the pooch with this secret info stuff. I think it's pretty obvious to anyone with 2 brain cells to rub together, but FWIW, I had a "secret" clearance for a few years, and NOBODY, and I mean NOBODY, treated even "plain old secret" info the way Trump handled top secret and eyes only type info. Incredible. And of course Trump's continuing stream of public admissions against interest are astonishing in light of the potential liability he faces. But again, we've known this for a while.

What's even more incredible is the support he's receiving from most Republicans. If you can't criticize him, can't you at least keep your mouth shut? You can't possibly believe that, if proven, what he did was right, good for the country or anything but criminal. This is just beyond the pale to me.

And of course, the ultimate question: Why did he do it? There seem to be only 2 realistic explanations. The first is that it's just a matter of ego; he wanted to preserve the trappings of office and access to the "good stuff." But the second is the kicker: He saw a money making and/or power grabbing opportunity. Did he sell, trade or give truly sensitive info to enemies or potential enemies? Who knows? But did he intend to? The fact that it's even a consideration says all one needs to know about Trump and once again raises the question of what his supporters, especially those in public office, think they're doing.

Just to be clear: Are there risks involved in pursuing criminal charges against a former president, especially one who is running for president again? Absolutely. But this is equally absolutely not that case.

And just to be even clearer: I acknowledge that many people whose views I largely share are celebrating this indictment. I am not. I am relieved and approve of the decision to indict but I'm not at all happy. This is a fucking sad day for our country but one that has basically been inevitable since 2016. This is who the man is and I remain baffled by people who don't see that.

As long as I'm here, how about the media that on Thursday was reporting that the indictment had seven counts? Oooops. Only off by 30.

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

beantownbubba wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2023 9:46 am
And of course, the ultimate question: Why did he do it?
The NYT offers some speculation: https://www.nytimes.com/2023/06/10/us/p ... 029039208a

Robert Hubbell quoting Fintan O'Toole in the NY Review of Books: "Secrets are a kind of currency. They can be hoarded, but if kept for too long they lose their value. Like all currencies, they must, sooner or later, be used in a transaction—sold to the highest bidder or bartered as a favor for which another favor will be returned. To see the full scale of Donald Trump’s betrayal of his country, it is necessary to start with this reality. He kept intelligence documents because, at some point, those secrets could be used in a transaction. What he was stockpiling were the materials of treason. He may not have known how and when he would cash in this currency, but there can be little doubt that he was determined to retain the ability to do just that."

Some weak sauce from Gary Abernathy in the WaPo in defense of Trump/criticizing the decision to indict. A perfect example of someone twisting themselves into an intellectual pretzel in order to reach a result unobtainable in a rational, logical way. Compare and contrast the above quote from O'Toole with Abernathy's blithe and dismissive assurances:

"Yes, these charges are defensible from a strict interpretation of code, but prosecutors always have discretion to consider the broader context, and here the Justice Department has failed the highest-stakes test of prosecutorial discretion one can imagine. As president, Trump had already seen all the classified documents in question. He apparently retained them not for nefarious purposes, but under a misguided sense of entitlement. He was sloppy and careless with them — hardly unprecedented at the highest levels of government. Whether Trump alluded to them in conversation or even briefly showed a document to visitors, felony indictments appear personally and politically vindictive."

I am continually surprised (shame on me) about conservatives' willingness (eagerness?) to abandon long-held and aggressively stated "law and order" or "hawkish" views to downplay wrongdoing by one of their own. I just can't wrap my head around treating Trump's conduct as essentially a minor clerical error. SMH

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... 24c4f5225e

Clams

Post by Clams »

cortez the killer wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2023 10:58 pm
Would
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck