The Neverending Thread for Political Shit

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

pearlbeer

Re: The Neverending Thread for Political Shit

Post by pearlbeer »

The Elephant is totally outdated as a mascot of the Republican Party. Now taking submissions for an update. Here are a few I came up with:

Love each other, Motherfuckers!

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

With Bolton looming, the GOP has swung from “perfect call, totally innocent” to “Trump probably did everything you’re accusing him of, but that’s not impeachable”
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

Zip City wrote:With Bolton looming, the GOP has swung from “perfect call, totally innocent” to “Trump probably did everything you’re accusing him of, but that’s not impeachable”
Or his own counsel's stated position of "whatever might be out there doesn't rise to the level of an impeachable offence." (refer to the monkey image submitted earlier. ) ;)

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Sorry, pearlbeer, you're too late. We're now past see/hear/speak no evil straight on into evil. This may well be the end of the world as we know it. Today, Dershowitz made the extraordinary, I would say unheard of, claim that the president's interest in re-election is synonymous with the national interest.

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2020/impea ... itz-argues (See what are presently the 2nd and 4th captions but this appears to be a live update so the order may be different later - I don't think you'll have any problem finding the relevant sections).

My jaw literally dropped when I first read this and my stomach turned over and is still in knots. This is even worse than Nixon telling David Frost that "if the president does it, it's not illegal." This is Louis XIV stuff. As I wrote in response to hearing about this for the first time:

What. The. Actual. FUUUUCK. The last time anyone was heard making this argument before Nixon, it was in French: L'etat c'est moi. This is just beyond the pale. Frightening. Just when I thought I was immune to being surprised by anything these thugs do they've gone to the "democracy? this ain't no stinkin' democracy" offense (not defense). "My election is the national interest"???????? I can't fathom this. How can any American allow this to go on? And if at least 34 Senators do allow it (for which, read 53), that is the end of this country in any recognizable form. Holy shit, people. My head hurts. My stomach is turning.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

beantownbubba wrote:Sorry, pearlbeer, you're too late. We're now past see/hear/speak no evil straight on into evil. This may well be the end of the world as we know it. Today, Dershowitz made the extraordinary, I would say unheard of, claim that the president's interest in re-election is synonymous with the national interest.

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2020/impea ... itz-argues (See what are presently the 2nd and 4th captions but this appears to be a live update so the order may be different later - I don't think you'll have any problem finding the relevant sections).

My jaw literally dropped when I first read this and my stomach turned over and is still in knots. This is even worse than Nixon telling David Frost that "if the president does it, it's not illegal." This is Louis XIV stuff. As I wrote in response to hearing about this for the first time:

What. The. Actual. FUUUUCK. The last time anyone was heard making this argument before Nixon, it was in French: L'etat c'est moi. This is just beyond the pale. Frightening. Just when I thought I was immune to being surprised by anything these thugs do they've gone to the "democracy? this ain't no stinkin' democracy" offense (not defense). "My election is the national interest"???????? I can't fathom this. How can any American allow this to go on? And if at least 34 Senators do allow it (for which, read 53), that is the end of this country in any recognizable form. Holy shit, people. My head hurts. My stomach is turning.
Confused...are you voting for the Locus Swarm or Pit of Snakes?

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

pearlbeer wrote:The Elephant is totally outdated as a mascot of the Republican Party. Now taking submissions for an update. Here are a few I came up with:
How about a taint? Sorry, I wasn't going to Google up a picture of that :lol:
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

pearlbeer wrote:Confused...are you voting for the Locus Swarm or Pit of Snakes?
Let me try to be clear: We have entered into a new, unprecedented era in American political history, and it may be that we will shortly enter into a new era of American history. The President's position, and by extension the position of the Republican Party and its members, is breaking old ground in a new way. reversing the arc of history which is supposed to bend towards justice. It's not ignoring evil like ostriches w/ their heads in the sand or monkeys covering their eyes & ears; it IS evil. It's not snake-like because this is now boldly out in the open and a straightforward power grab. It's not locust-like because it's gonna take a lot more than spraying some pesticides around to neutralize the threat.

Maybe you (that's the collective you) heard it differently, but the way I understand it is that the conditions and assumptions summarized by "L'etat c'est moi" led more or less directly to the French Revolution, the overthrow of the monarchy and the establishment of something approximating democracy (once they got past the Reign of Terror). We are now reversing that process. Accepting that the President's interest in being re-elected is the same as the national interest is not a step, but a leap to authoritarianism and the death knell of whatever approximation of democracy we now take for granted. If this stands, if all of the enablers don't stand up and shout ENOUGH, there may well be no way back.

Flea

Post by Flea »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
pearlbeer wrote:The Elephant is totally outdated as a mascot of the Republican Party. Now taking submissions for an update. Here are a few I came up with:
How about a taint? Sorry, I wasn't going to Google up a picture of that :lol:
My taint is extremely insulted by that comparison. How dare you!
Now it's dark.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

pearlbeer wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:Sorry, pearlbeer, you're too late. We're now past see/hear/speak no evil straight on into evil. This may well be the end of the world as we know it. Today, Dershowitz made the extraordinary, I would say unheard of, claim that the president's interest in re-election is synonymous with the national interest.

Confused...are you voting for the Locus Swarm or Pit of Snakes?
Neither. Both. Does it matter?

The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

beantownbubba wrote:
Let me try to be clear: We have entered into a new, unprecedented era in American political history, and it may be that we will shortly enter into a new era of American history. The President's position, and by extension the position of the Republican Party and its members, is breaking old ground in a new way. reversing the arc of history which is supposed to bend towards justice. It's not ignoring evil like ostriches w/ their heads in the sand or monkeys covering their eyes & ears; it IS evil. It's not snake-like because this is now boldly out in the open and a straightforward power grab. It's not locust-like because it's gonna take a lot more than spraying some pesticides around to neutralize the threat.

Maybe you (that's the collective you) heard it differently, but the way I understand it is that the conditions and assumptions summarized by "L'etat c'est moi" led more or less directly to the French Revolution, the overthrow of the monarchy and the establishment of something approximating democracy (once they got past the Reign of Terror). We are now reversing that process. Accepting that the President's interest in being re-elected is the same as the national interest is not a step, but a leap to authoritarianism and the death knell of whatever approximation of democracy we now take for granted. If this stands, if all of the enablers don't stand up and shout ENOUGH, there may well be no way back.

Yeah, it is just beyond depressing. I'm in agreement, btb, the Republican Party is truly evil. What used to be driven by fear and greed now seems to be motivated by an overwhelming desire to watch it all burn to the ground. I honestly can't comprehend the motivation. What is more insane, is that they all KNOW the evidence will trickle out. When Bolton's book drops (one way or another) soon, I'm sure there will be endless handwringing and talk about 'if I knew then what I know now'....arrrgh. Fuck these motherfuckers.

When Trump was elected, my first thought/fear (of many) was: "this is going to end with violence". Eventually, I dismissed this fear as hyperbole. But the continued and blatant subversion of the electorate continues. Marches don't matter. Calls to your Senator don't matter. Voting probably doesn't matter (because cheating is now allowed/encouraged). Until the population rises like in Hong Kong, nothing will matter. The Republican Party has no fear. There are no consequences for their actions.

I now look my children in the eye and say, "You can be anything you want. Believe anything you want. Love anyone you want. But if you ever vote Republican, you are no child of mine."

Mr. B

Post by Mr. B »

beantownbubba wrote:

It is astonishing that there are no "freedom loving" republicans (other then the George Conway types who show at least some courage in their convictions) who are calling out the Trump/Dershowitz line of defense, which taken to its logical conclusion is a pretty scary thing. The Republican Party is a cult.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Yeah, the Dershowitz thing is by far the most terrifying part of this entire trial. If what he says becomes the precedent moving forward, we are all screwed
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Zip City wrote:Yeah, the Dershowitz thing is by far the most terrifying part of this entire trial. If what he says becomes the precedent moving forward, we are all screwed
Mr. B wrote:It is astonishing that there are no "freedom loving" republicans (other then the George Conway types who show at least some courage in their convictions) who are calling out the Trump/Dershowitz line of defense, which taken to its logical conclusion is a pretty scary thing. The Republican Party is a cult.
True story, fellas.

Dershowitz, who has no shame, no pride and very few brain cells left, is now of course trying to walk this back by, guess what?, blaming the media. That guy is so full of shit he's going to explode. It is obvious by what he's said (as of late this morning anyway) that he's walking it back because of embarrassment not because he thinks he said anything outrageous much less wrong. Did I mention how full of shit he is?

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Mr. B wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:

It is astonishing that there are no "freedom loving" republicans (other then the George Conway types who show at least some courage in their convictions) who are calling out the Trump/Dershowitz line of defense, which taken to its logical conclusion is a pretty scary thing. The Republican Party is a cult.
I would amend that in saying “no freedom loving Republicans in office as most of them out of office side with George Conway, Rick Wilson and the like. It’s about power pure and simple.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

oilpiers

Post by oilpiers »

The biggest piece of shit in all of this is Mitch. Friday he walks into the senate chambers with a smirk on his face as he orchestrates the implosion of the rule of law. If there is voter fraud, I hope it is the kind that lets me vote against him multiple times in November.

Mr. B

Post by Mr. B »

oilpiers wrote:The biggest piece of shit in all of this is Mitch. Friday he walks into the senate chambers with a smirk on his face as he orchestrates the implosion of the rule of law. If there is voter fraud, I hope it is the kind that lets me vote against him multiple times in November.
I have a long-running debate with some friends over whether Mitch or Lindsey is the biggest turd in the punch bowl over the last year or two. Its a very close call, but I tend to lean to Graham because he takes hypocrisy to a new level.

jr29

Post by jr29 »

One of my senators, Lamar Alexander, is retiring after his current term and instead of going out with some dignity he went out like a total weasel.
Tennessee has had a pretty solid history of bipartisanship and has been a pretty well governed state. The current crop of elected officials is forcing me to quickly lose faith though.

Sterling Bigmouth

Post by Sterling Bigmouth »

jr29 wrote:One of my senators, Lamar Alexander, is retiring after his current term and instead of going out with some dignity he went out like a total weasel.
Tennessee has had a pretty solid history of bipartisanship and has been a pretty well governed state. The current crop of elected officials is forcing me to quickly lose faith though.
Lamar Alexander found a way to ruin years of good will in the span of one presidential term. Good riddance.

Now if we could only do something about Marsha...
Turn it up to 10 and rip off the knob

jr29

Post by jr29 »

Sterling Bigmouth wrote:
jr29 wrote:One of my senators, Lamar Alexander, is retiring after his current term and instead of going out with some dignity he went out like a total weasel.
Lamar Alexander found a way to ruin years of good will in the span of one presidential term. Good riddance.

Now if we could only do something about Marsha...
I'm afraid we're gonna end up with two Marshas. If Phil Bredesen can get trounced like he did I don't see any democrat standing a chance in the foreseeable future.

I'd really love to get a Ned McWherter type of democratic candidate in some of these races. A Tennessee native who is a good ole boy and who could MAYBE connect with the rural counties.

Flea

Post by Flea »

Rush Limbaugh has advanced lung cancer. Let's all send our thoughts & prayers.
Now it's dark.

oilpiers

Post by oilpiers »

Mr. B wrote:
oilpiers wrote:The biggest piece of shit in all of this is Mitch. Friday he walks into the senate chambers with a smirk on his face as he orchestrates the implosion of the rule of law. If there is voter fraud, I hope it is the kind that lets me vote against him multiple times in November.
I have a long-running debate with some friends over whether Mitch or Lindsey is the biggest turd in the punch bowl over the last year or two. Its a very close call, but I tend to lean to Graham because he takes hypocrisy to a new level.
Hard to say, but Mitch is calling the shots.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Klobuchar and Buttigieg took my precinct

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Iowan wrote:Klobuchar and Buttigieg took my precinct
Finally, some results from Iowa!
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Well, make them give it back! It's your precinct.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

Swamp wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:
Swamp wrote:Psycho-philosophical geometry :roll:
Is that a graduate level class at MIT?
Could be, I have never googled it as it was a term I made up after realizing we will never see, and or comprehind things the same due the differant angles we look at them. Of corse there are other factors like where our shoes have been which is constantly changing the angles.
And then theres this which the media is really good at

and is this even real

Either way I got a good chuckle out of it
and that pussy Alec Baldwin blew that girl away, and speaking of pussy Steve got it all!

jr29

Post by jr29 »

I'm sure the right won't use the caucus mess to question the legitimacy of upcoming elections.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

They were going to do that anyway, especially if Trump loses.

jr29

Post by jr29 »

Iowan wrote:They were going to do that anyway, especially if Trump loses.
Oh sure. This fuels the fire though.
The Biden camp is questioning it already.....that seems way less than helpful.

Clams

Post by Clams »

LBRod wrote:
Finally, some results from Iowa!
:lol:
If you don't run you rust

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »