College Basketball 2015-16

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

whatwouldcooleydo?

Re: College Basketball 2015-16

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

Zip City wrote:He looked like a try-hard in a YMCA pick up game
a YMCA try-hard who has the NCAA record for career 3s
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

whatwouldcooleydo?

one of the commentators in last night's VA Tech/St Louis game pronounced the VA Tech mascot as "Hulkies," so we've decided that from here out in this house they'll forever be the Hulkies!

Hulkies smash!!! :lol:

Sterling Bigmouth

Post by Sterling Bigmouth »

Not a very entertaining day of games so far apart from Maryland/LSU. My favorite part of every game has been the commentators plugging some terrible new CBS show by exclaiming “Steve Buscemi is GOD!” Can’t say I disagree with them there.
Turn it up to 10 and rip off the knob

whatwouldcooleydo?

Sterling Bigmouth wrote:Not a very entertaining day of games so far apart from Maryland/LSU. My favorite part of every game has been the commentators plugging some terrible new CBS show by exclaiming “Steve Buscemi is GOD!” Can’t say I disagree with them there.
I have to admit to absolutely loving the State Farm commercial when Clutch goes all Tony Montana with the fully-automatic t-shirt gun. I laugh every single time

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
Sterling Bigmouth wrote:Not a very entertaining day of games so far apart from Maryland/LSU. My favorite part of every game has been the commentators plugging some terrible new CBS show by exclaiming “Steve Buscemi is GOD!” Can’t say I disagree with them there.
I have to admit to absolutely loving the State Farm commercial when Clutch goes all Tony Montana with the fully-automatic t-shirt gun. I laugh every single time
have to agree with you on that one. the james harden 1 don't care for so much. not hoops related but the commercial that always makes me giggle (& i don't giggle much at this point in life) is "what day is it?" "it's HUMP DAY!". don't know why i still laugh but it's got some little touches like the band that keep it interesting. & the camel's voice is perfect. i'm hoping the auburn/kansas game turns out to be a good one. if it's not i can switch over to portland/detroit nba game. it hurts me though, haha.

whatwouldcooleydo?

You do not want this smoke, young fella

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Now LSU-MD was a tournament style game! More, please.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

chuckrh wrote:i'm hoping the auburn/kansas game turns out to be a good one. if it's not i can switch over to portland/detroit nba game.
So, how was the Portland/Detroit game?
Let the outside air in

whatwouldcooleydo?

schlanky wrote:
chuckrh wrote:i'm hoping the auburn/kansas game turns out to be a good one. if it's not i can switch over to portland/detroit nba game.

Kansas was beaten from pillar to post, and I am all for it

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

schlanky wrote:
Good game. Damian Lillard is a hell of a player. They have a great team & made some good moves at the trade deadline. Probably aren't going to take Golden State out but should be dangerous in the playoffs. It's bittersweet. Portland's coach was a Sonics assistant & they also got the Sonics' announcer to do their telecasts. I used to have a season ticket in the front row of the upper deck behind the basket. $10 a game. Those days are gone forever...GO HUSKIES!

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Huskies are playing NC tough, leaving it all on the floor. They may not win but the Tarheels are going to know they have been in a game.

whatwouldcooleydo?

chuckrh wrote:Huskies are playing NC tough, leaving it all on the floor. They may not win but the Tarheels are going to know they have been in a game.
Tar Heels

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

I wonder if 538 or some other analytics site has any data on results after a team comes back from, say, 20+ points? My guess is that the comebacking team loses well more than half the time either because of the energy expended in catching up or because the original lead is more indicative of the relative quality of the teams than the comeback is. But that's just my impression w/out any data.

Tough loss, Iowa, but the comeback is something to be proud of during the long off season.

Whenever I watch Tennessee basketball I always think of the Bernard King/Ernie Grunfeld days (brooklyn & queens, respectively). Can't remember the details but damn that team should have won a championship. And that also reminds me of little brother Albert King who I once saw drop 50 (I think, some big number like that) on UNC in Chapel Hill. One of the more amazing performances I've ever seen in person.

whatwouldcooleydo?

beantownbubba wrote:Whenever I watch Tennessee basketball I always think of the Bernard King/Ernie Grunfeld days (brooklyn & queens, respectively). Can't remember the details but damn that team should have won a championship.
I remember the Ernie & Bernie days fairly well. They were good and got a ton of hype, especially being only 100 miles away. If I remember correctly they lost in the 2nd round both times they made the tournament, so I don't know how close that gets them to "should have won a championship". Grunfeld was a member of the Dean Smith-led gold medal winning 1976 Olympic team. A lot of friends attended the Ray Mears basketball camp at Tennessee when Grunfeld and King were counselors- my folks wouldn't pony up the $ for me to go :cry:

Albert King remains one of my very favorite non-UNC ACC players ever. #55 had a ton of game

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

chuckrh wrote:Huskies are playing NC tough, leaving it all on the floor. They may not win but the Tarheels are going to know they have been in a game.
Tar Heels
isn't tar toxic?

whatwouldcooleydo?

chuckrh wrote:
Tar Heels
isn't tar toxic?
Stay gold, Ponyboy

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

you got my Dawgs, this year. hopefully we'll get at least a few teams that aren't same old same old. i'll have to root for gonzaga & their cheer squad, the flying catholic girls.

whatwouldcooleydo?

chuckrh wrote:
Tar Heels
isn't tar toxic?
it is to Huskies

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Tar Heels[/quote]

isn't tar toxic?[/quote]

it is to Huskies[/quote]

i should stick to my football. hope you never have to sit behind the guy with the hair at the movies.

whatwouldcooleydo?

chuckrh wrote:the flying catholic girls.
a great Zappa song

whatwouldcooleydo?

chuckrh wrote:i should stick to my football. hope you never have to sit behind the guy with the hair at the movies.
(1) Stay in yer lane, bro :lol: :lol: :lol:

(2) funny you say that about sitting behind Coby White at the movie: when we lived in Chapel Hill we literally had to sit behind all 7' of Eric Montross at Misery. Theater was completely sold out and we had no other option. It was, dare I say miserable. We also had to deal with him at Shadows and Fog but it wasn't sold out so we moved to less-obstructed seats

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

chuckrh wrote:hopefully we'll get at least a few teams that aren't same old same old.
Well, chuckrh, there's always the Auburn Tigers. I'm hoping tar isn't toxic to Tigers.
Let the outside air in

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

schlanky wrote:
chuckrh wrote:hopefully we'll get at least a few teams that aren't same old same old.
Well, chuckrh, there's always the Auburn Tigers. I'm hoping tar isn't toxic to Tigers.
Charles Barkely is certainly psyched. he's 1 of my fave sports talking heads. i've been known to tune into TNT games just to watch him & Shaq squabble then change channels when the game starts.

whatwouldcooleydo?

chuckrh wrote:
schlanky wrote:
Charles Barkely is certainly psyched. he's 1 of my fave sports talking heads. i've been known to tune into TNT games just to watch him & Shaq squabble then change channels when the game starts.
Ah, noted Mensa member Shaq Fu-Schnickens :lol: :lol: :lol:

whatwouldcooleydo?

MADtv never got the respect it should have received

whatwouldcooleydo?

Given how similar the majority of brackets are in my money pools, the Buffalo/Texas Tech game may very well be make or break when it comes to me getting paid

whatwouldcooleydo?

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:Given how similar the majority of brackets are in my money pools, the Buffalo/Texas Tech game may very well be make or break when it comes to me getting paid
went for the differential pick and whoa Nelly!, did I get burned :roll: :roll: :roll:

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote: did I get burned :roll: :roll: :roll:
Early Cuyler knows that feeling...

Let the outside air in

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

What the hell is in the water at UCF? Were they even in Div. 1 10 years ago? Now they're going undefeated in football in multiple years and taking the # 1 seed to the last second in a very winnable game in the tournament. Well, it's either the water or a recruiting scandal waiting to happen. Whatever, still impressive.

That was a fun, mostly well played game and once UCF closed the 8ish point gap in the second half I really thought they might pull it off. Several stellar perofrmances on both sides, but even so, the number of missed foul shots, lay ups and dunks (!) in the last 5 minutes were a real shame both aesthetically and because UCF had more of them including those last 2. Have no idea how the second one didn't drop in. Off to see if I have any life left in my brackets. I have my doubts.

Sterling Bigmouth

Post by Sterling Bigmouth »

Iowan wrote:
Yeah, that looks about right.
If your choice of conference for team winning it all were ACC/SEC or the field, what would you choose?
Woke up today thinking about this, considering that 9 of the Sweet 16 come from these two conferences.
Turn it up to 10 and rip off the knob