2017-2018 NBA thread

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

tinnitus photography

2017-2018 NBA thread

Post by tinnitus photography »

i couldn't find one, so here it is.

this is great (as is Lin's followup response)
http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/ ... gs_of.html

whatwouldcooleydo?

Re: 2017-2018 NBA thread

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

tinnitus photography wrote:i couldn't find one, so here it is.

this is great (as is Lin's followup response)
http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/ ... gs_of.html
Kenyon Martin has always been a massive tool
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

Clams

Post by Clams »

Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

UTHeathen

Post by UTHeathen »

Go Jazz! That is all.

whatwouldcooleydo?

UTHeathen wrote:Go Jazz! That is all.

Look at me, in my sports shirt, just like an ordinary plebeian. Advance forward, team, advance forward! :lol: :lol: :lol:

cortez the killer

Clams wrote:
- DPM

UTHeathen

Post by UTHeathen »

James Harden is a dirty player and a cheater. There, I said it.

UTHeathen

Post by UTHeathen »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
Look at me, in my sports shirt, just like an ordinary plebeian. Advance forward, team, advance forward! :lol: :lol: :lol:
I think I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.

cortez the killer

Clams wrote:
- DPM

Clams

Post by Clams »

cortez the killer wrote:
Clams wrote:
*sigh*

Trust the process, Cortez
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

cortez the killer

Clams wrote:
cortez the killer wrote:
Clams wrote:
*sigh*

Trust the process, Cortez
Yeah, Boston is old and falling apart. I know it's a pipe dream, but maybe we add a couple of studs like Kyrie Irving & Gordon Hayward to the roster next year. Can't hurt to dream....
- DPM

njMark

Post by njMark »

Never been much of a basketball fan but my oldest loves LeBron James so I guess go Cavs. If nothing else a lot of my coworkers despise him so his continued success will be welcomed.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Jesus,Boston.

This is bloodshed.

cortez the killer

Iowan wrote:Jesus,Boston.

This is bloodshed.
Process.... Butcher style.
- DPM

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

History will record that the Cleveland Cavaliers beat the Boston Celtics in this year's Eastern Conference Finals. But we who saw it know that LeBron James beat the Boston Celtics 1 on 5. Extraordinary.

Get off my lawn department: I acknowledge that the 3 point shot has added something to the game of basketball. But I think it takes away a lot more than it adds. The game is more boring and as has been true since the jump shot was invented, teams that live by the long distance jump shot will die by the long distance jump shot and they will be unable to control when it happens. You can't win the game when you go 6 for 50 or whatever from 3 point land and you can't win the game if you don't have the fundamental game to win in other ways when those shots aren't falling.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

The Warriors-Rockets Game 7 was not w/out some exciting moments, but I thought it was an aesthetic disaster. Tough to watch. And what the fuck is 0 for 24 for 3 pointers? That's not a stat it's a statement that "we suck."

If all I knew was what I saw in the first half, I don't know if Durant would have been among the top 10 picks from the 2 teams to fill a pick up starting 5. He made up for it somewhat in the second half but man that was some seriously bad basketball.

No point in even mentioning foul shooting anymore. I can't understand why it's so bad but it seems like it's become a permanent condition.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

okc sure blew it when they chickened out about signing harden. durant, harden & westbrook could've been dominant. haha. they stole my team. i was a sonic season ticket holder....

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I'm not old enough to remember the era when it was Lakers vs. Celtics nearly every year in the finals, so I wonder if there was a sense of fatigue then as there is now with Warriors vs. Cavs. The media and sports historians paint those old series as the golden age of the NBA, but I'd have to imagine that fans in other cities had to be tired of the same finals year after year
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

cortez the killer

Zip City wrote:I'm not old enough to remember the era when it was Lakers vs. Celtics nearly every year in the finals, so I wonder if there was a sense of fatigue then as there is now with Warriors vs. Cavs. The media and sports historians paint those old series as the golden age of the NBA, but I'd have to imagine that fans in other cities had to be tired of the same finals year after year
It was glorious.
- DPM

cortez the killer

chuckrh wrote:okc sure blew it when they chickened out about signing harden. durant, harden & westbrook could've been dominant. haha. they stole my team. i was a sonic season ticket holder....
Communism. Great in theory, not very practical and/or realistic.
- DPM

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

The Celtics-Lakers matchup didn't happen as often in the 80s as many seem to think. It happened 3 times. The 76ers-Lakers matchup also happened 3 times in the 80s. In each case, the Lakers won 2 of the 3 matchups.
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Bill in CT wrote:The Celtics-Lakers matchup didn't happen as often in the 80s as many seem to think. It happened 3 times. The 76ers-Lakers matchup also happened 3 times in the 80s. In each case, the Lakers won 2 of the 3 matchups.
I was more referring to the 60's, where it happened 7 times in 11 years
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

Zip City wrote:
Bill in CT wrote:The Celtics-Lakers matchup didn't happen as often in the 80s as many seem to think. It happened 3 times. The 76ers-Lakers matchup also happened 3 times in the 80s. In each case, the Lakers won 2 of the 3 matchups.
Gotcha. I don’t think many here remember that era of the NBA. That’s why I thought you were referring to the 80s teams.
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

whatwouldcooleydo?

whatwouldcooleydo?

Zip City wrote:
This is before most, but not all, of our times (I was born in 66 and don't remember the NBA registering with me until around 73-74), so I honestly have no idea what the answer would be. That said, I am pretty sure (but, as always, could be wrong) that in the 60s the NBA was quite a bit behind MLB and the NFL** in the nation's collective sports pantheon, and assuming that to be true, I wonder how many sports fans really cared.

ETA: **= There was probably a sizeable chunk of the 60s in which boxing was still higher in the American sports pantheon than the NBA
Last edited by whatwouldcooleydo? on Wed May 30, 2018 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Zip City wrote:
As a life long hater of anything LA, it was great fun. Also, Havlicek was my guy.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
Zip City wrote:
This is before most, but not all, of our times (I was born in 66 and don't remember the NBA registering with me until around 73-74), so I honestly have no idea what the answer would be. That said, I am pretty sure (but, as always, could be wrong) that in the 60s the NBA was quite a bit behind MLB and the NFL in the nation's collective sports pantheon, and assuming that to be true, I wonder how many sports fans really cared.
Growing up as a basketball mad yoot in a basketball mad town surrounded by basketball mad friends, older kids and adults, I was shocked to learn years later that wwcd is right: The NBA was just not that big a deal in much of the country at that time. But for those who lived & died w/ it, the 60's were about Boston-Philly and Boston - LA and nobody had any problem w/ that. They were the best teams w/ the biggest stars. Everything changed, at least in NY, when Walt Bellamy and Butch Komives were traded to Detroit for Dave DeBusschere in '68. The '69-70 season remains larger than life in my memory (of course that was also the overlapping period when the Mets went from worst to champs and the AFL Jets beat the NFL Colts in the Super Bowl so it was a great time to be a NY sports fan in so many ways).

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Week day playoff games, including the finals, were tape delayed until late night.
The '82 Finals marked the first time since 1978 that all of the games aired live in its entirely;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBA_on_CBS
Last edited by LBRod on Wed May 30, 2018 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

whatwouldcooleydo?

LBRod wrote:P
Week day playoff games, including the finals, were tape delayed until late night when I was a kid.
I remember that quite clearly as well. The legendary game six of Lakers/Sixers 1980 Finals came on at 11:30 PM (it was shown live in something like only 5 cities). I remember I was sleeping over at a friend's house and we ignored his mother and stayed up to watch it