Ryan Adams full album remakes

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Zip City

Ryan Adams full album remakes

Post by Zip City »

Ryan Adams has now recorded his own versions of four full-length albums:

1989 - Taylor Swift
Nebraska - Bruce Springsteen
Blood on the Tracks - Bob Dylan
Morning Glory - Oasis

Curious what people's thoughts are about an artist doing this? I can't think of anyone else who has endeavored to do this with more than one album (e.g. the many genre-specific versions of Dark Side of the Moon)
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

beantownbubba

Re: Ryan Adams full album remakes

Post by beantownbubba »

Zip City wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2023 11:10 am
Ryan Adams has now recorded his own versions of four full-length albums:

1989 - Taylor Swift
Nebraska - Bruce Springsteen
Blood on the Tracks - Bob Dylan
Morning Glory - Oasis

Curious what people's thoughts are about an artist doing this? I can't think of anyone else who has endeavored to do this with more than one album (e.g. the many genre-specific versions of Dark Side of the Moon)
I haven't heard any of these albums, didn't even know about 2 of them and am not the world's biggest RA fan so I'm not the best person to comment, but just on the face of it, it seems like a strange thing to do and to continue to do. In an odd way it harkens back to the pre-Beatles/Dylan era, when singers didn't generally sing their own material and often (or at least sometimes) did entire albums based on the work of single songwriters. See, e.g. Sinatra and Ella Fitzgerald among others. Rod Stewart and others (including Dylan!) have had more recent success with a similar approach but not limited to single writers or albums. There have also been multi artist "tribute albums" honoring single albums and I even have a couple of them but that seems pretty different. Bottom line, I just don't get the concept and nothing about it makes me want to rush out and hear any of the albums.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

1989 is actually a pretty cool re-imagining of a pop album as a rock album. The others aren't as successful (to my ears). Some of the takes on the Oasis album are flat out terrible
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

brettac1

Post by brettac1 »

I was formerly a huge DRA fan and I appreciate the idea of these though I think the only one I really liked the execution of was 1989.
Wound up bleeding on the bar floor
We don't bet on the ball no more

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

I have also only heard 1989.

I took a pretty hard break from Ryan Adams when the allegations dropped and haven't really found my way back to him yet.

My mind goes to the "Pickin' On" series, which aren't full album covers but seem somewhat similar in concept. I remember listening to Pickin' On Modest Mouse quite a bit back in the day.
All it takes is one wicked heart, a pile of money, and a chain of folks just doing their jobs