Life is Unfair, Part MCXXII

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

beantownbubba

Life is Unfair, Part MCXXII

Post by beantownbubba »

By way of the mysterious workings of the internet, I happened on a tweet by singer songwriter Amy Rigby. She was fairly well known at least on the East Coast in the 90's and 00's and was more or less the definition of a "critic's darling." She posted a short video of herself working behind a bar and writes: "When a song you wrote recorded by the great Ronnie Spector comes on during a busy bar shift just smile, look up to heaven and keep working."

I'm not saying she deserves to be rich and retired in Malibu or whatever, but geez, it would be nice if talented musicians could at least make a living.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Re: Life is Unfair, Part MCXXII

Post by RolanK »

beantownbubba wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 12:38 pm
By way of the mysterious workings of the internet, I happened on a tweet by singer songwriter Amy Rigby. She was fairly well known at least on the East Coast in the 90's and 00's and was more or less the definition of a "critic's darling." She posted a short video of herself working behind a bar and writes: "When a song you wrote recorded by the great Ronnie Spector comes on during a busy bar shift just smile, look up to heaven and keep working."

I'm not saying she deserves to be rich and retired in Malibu or whatever, but geez, it would be nice if talented musicians could at least make a living.
That’s funny because I saw the same thing (was it a tweet) and had no idea who she is or was. But yes, I agree the world is unfair, and real talent is often not appreciated or recognised.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

305 Engine

Post by 305 Engine »

Looked up the video.

Life isn't fair but... she looks happy. And I understand shes still playing and recording new music.

Life isn't fair but I wouldnt mind betting she's happier than a lot of guys still on the road and going through the motions.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

305 Engine wrote:
Sat May 06, 2023 6:43 pm
Looked up the video.

Life isn't fair but... she looks happy. And I understand shes still playing and recording new music.

Life isn't fair but I wouldnt mind betting she's happier than a lot of guys still on the road and going through the motions.
Fair comment. I'm not sure I agree but that's a reasonable takeaway from the video & commentary.

And yes, RolanK, it was a tweet.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

Wow! I haven't seen that name come up in a while.

I saw Rigby open for Todd Snider at Zydeco in Birmingham a very long time ago. My best guess is 2002 on Todd's tour promoting "New Connection" .

I'd never heard of her before that night, but she did a great show---good enough that I remember it this many years later. She won the crowd with "Keep It to Yourself" and her complete deadpan delivery. Great song that's worth looking up.

I bought an album or two. "Keep it to Yourself" and "Beer and Kisses" and "20 Questions" still pop up every now and then on very old iPod mixes I listen to driving to trailheads.

She was on stage with David Olney when he died at the 30A festival a few years ago:

https://abc7news.com/david-olney-30a-so ... l/5863670/
Let the outside air in

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

beantownbubba wrote:

She’s married to the great Wreckless Eric
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:09 pm
beantownbubba wrote:

who also had a bit of fleeting fame

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

tinnitus photography wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2023 1:57 pm
whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:09 pm
beantownbubba wrote:

who also had a bit of fleeting fame
Saw him a few years back at a house concert here in Chico. Just him, and he’s still got it
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

the only time i saw him was at a house concert, and that was easily 10 years ago. good show though w/ some poetry readings peppered in.