Wednesday

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Mundane Mayhem

Wednesday

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

Obviously most of us are familiar with Wednesday by this point. I haven't had a chance to see the band yet, though that changes Saturday night of Homecoming and then again shortly thereafter when they swing through Denver as headliners. I did get to see MJ Lenderman with his band in the fall and it was one of the very best shows I saw last year, touring behind one of my very favorite albums of 2022.

They just announced their new album, Rat Saw God, and dropped the single "Chosen To Deserve." Of note to those around these parts, the song was explicitly inspired by "Let There Be Rock." Per Stereogum:
“‘Chosen to Deserve’ is a writing exercise I gave myself to try to recreate the iconic song by Drive-By Truckers ‘Let There Be Rock’ but with my own experiences from growing up and fucking around and getting into stupid shit,” the band’s Karly Hartzman said in a statement. “The video directed by Spencer Kelly shows the setting of my upbringing and antics: my parents’ neighborhood in Greensboro, NC and Lake Myers RV Resort.”
I always love to see young bands citing DBT as an influence. Just thought that was a cool tidbit. My wife didn't really care (she was polite about it), so now I get to bother you nice people.

Excited to see Wednesday on...Saturday of Homecoming. Definitely one of my favorite DBT openers in recent memory, and to me they seem poised to become a very buzzy band sooner than later, now that they're on Dead Oceans and Pitchfork has caught wind. They could be part of spreading the gospel of DBT to a new generation.
Last edited by Mundane Mayhem on Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All it takes is one wicked heart, a pile of money, and a chain of folks just doing their jobs

Sterling Bigmouth

Re: Wednesday

Post by Sterling Bigmouth »

With all respect to Lilly Hiatt, T. Hardy Morris, etc., Wednesday is probably my favorite DBT opener in years. I bought one of their previous tapes (Twin Plagues) on DBT’s last tour, and it was well worth it. I think a lot of the board has heard their Women Without Whiskey cover, but that album also has great takes on Gary Stewart, Roger Miller, and Vic Chestnutt.

As said already, MJ Lenderman’s Boat Songs was also phenomenal, and they’re a bunch bursting with potential. I’m excited for their homecoming set and to hopefully see what directions their proper debut is gonna take.
Turn it up to 10 and rip off the knob

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

Explicit DBT mention in the new single, “Bath County.” This album is shaping up to be excellent, DBT references or not.
All it takes is one wicked heart, a pile of money, and a chain of folks just doing their jobs

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Mundane Mayhem wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 3:08 am
My wife didn't really care (she was polite about it), so now I get to bother you nice people.
I think every HeAthen w/ a spouse/significant other has experienced this. We need a name for it. Maybe 2 names, one for the polite response, one for the less polite reaction.

On your larger point, yeah, I share your excitement. I love when DBT shows up in the larger cultural landscape. It's almost by definition good for the band (and, of course, proves our own excellent taste) but I still hope for that one connection, or cover, or quote that pushes the band to the next level.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

This album has “8.7 Best New Music” written all over it.

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

Mundane Mayhem wrote:
Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:40 pm
This album has “8.7 Best New Music” written all over it.
I was really close!

https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/we ... t-saw-god/

Sterling Bigmouth

It’s worth the hype.

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

Craig Finn in conversation with Carly Hartzman (of Wednesday) in the latest episode on his podcast https://creative.talkhouse.com/originals/thatshowirememberit
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

Sterling Bigmouth wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2023 1:27 am
It’s worth the hype.
I'm paying it my highest form of respect by not listening to it until my preorder vinyl arrives so I can sit down with it and give it my undivided attention (with a lyrics booklet, ideally).

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Sterling Bigmouth wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2023 1:27 am
It’s worth the hype.
Big time. My favorite of the young year.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I put on their latest album and didn’t make it through two songs
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Zip City wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 4:13 pm
You don't seem to like much of anything new these days. Those same two tracks you couldn't make it through compelled me to raise the volume until it shook the house.
By far the best opening of an album this year. Different strokes and all that.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2023 6:22 pm
Zip City wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 4:13 pm
You don't seem to like much of anything new these days. Those same two tracks you couldn't make it through compelled me to raise the volume until it shook the house.
By far the best opening of an album this year. Different strokes and all that.
Different strokes indeed. The woman flat out can't sing in those opening tracks, and it grated on my nerves.

I'm happy that everyone else loves it.

305 Engine

Post by 305 Engine »

Absolutely loving this album. Thank you to everyone on this thread that praised it.

I love the early 90s, shoegaze vibe they have but they're also absolutely 100% their own thing. Sorry I didn't see them in Athens.

RolanK

Post by RolanK »

Chosen to Deserve is one of my favourite songs this year.

I was somewhat worn out that fourth night at the 40 Watt a couple of weeks ago and not sure I was gonna make it through the whole show. Hearing that song was like someone flipping a switch.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

305 Engine wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 5:45 pm
Absolutely loving this album. Thank you to everyone on this thread that praised it.

I love the early 90s, shoegaze vibe they have but they're also absolutely 100% their own thing. Sorry I didn't see them in Athens.
I hear a lot of Pavement in their sound too, but definitely their own take on all those influences. Craig Finn had Karly Hartzman on his podcast a couple of weeks ago and she was a great interview. I love younger bands that throw a thousand things in a blender and make their own sound.

RolanK

Post by RolanK »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2023 10:00 am
305 Engine wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 5:45 pm

I hear a lot of Pavement in their sound too, but definitely their own take on all those influences. Craig Finn had Karly Hartzman on his podcast a couple of weeks ago and she was a great interview. I love younger bands that throw a thousand things in a blender and make their own sound.
Absolutely!

I am hearing Throwing Muses, but slowed down and noisier, and with a more pronounced backbeat. Could be just vocals though, that makes me associate with them.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

RolanK wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2023 4:45 am
Craig Finn in conversation with Carly Hartzman (of Wednesday) in the latest episode on his podcast https://creative.talkhouse.com/originals/thatshowirememberit
Thanks for posting this. I was unaware she'd been on Finn's podcast & enjoyed it.

I'm going to the show at Saturn in Birmingham a week from tonight. I've seen Wednesday open for DBT twice and am excited to see what their show is like when they headline.

RolanK---I thoroughly enjoyed chatting with you at Nuci's.
Let the outside air in

RolanK

Post by RolanK »

schlanky wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2023 9:27 pm

RolanK---I thoroughly enjoyed chatting with you at Nuci's.
Likewise! Hope to see you again next HC.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

brettac1

Post by brettac1 »

They are opening a few midwest shows for Jason in September.
Do you ever get tired of singin' songs
Like all your pain is just another fuckin' sing along?

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I gave them another shot and liked them better. We'll see if they continue to grow on me

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

I caught Wednesday at Saturn in Birmingham tonight. This was my third show. First two shows were opening for DBT---Maryville last summer (which I think may have been their first show with DBT) and then Homecoming. I was curious to see what they'd be like headlining because I felt like they may have reined in the heavy sound a little in Athens.

They fucking rocked tonight---they unleashed the beast. This was far and away the best show of the three I've seen---one of those shows when you can see the band is having lots of fun on stage. I dig how they mix really hard and really soft within the same song. The new bass player, Ethan, who played his second show with the band in Athens has settled in.

Wednesday opened with "Hot Rotten Grass Smell" and closed with "Bull Believer" (same closer as they did in Athens). In between was most of the last two albums. Standouts for me were "Formula One," Cody's Only," "Quarry," "Twin Plagues," and "TV in the Gas Pump" (because I love that guitar part at the end of that song).
Let the outside air in

305 Engine

Post by 305 Engine »

https://www.normanrecords.com/features/ ... -wednesday

Thought this was a really good review of the album.

Managed to get tickets to see them in a few weeks.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

They're playing a free outdoor show in Water Valley, MS on Saturday but Beth is sick so I'd have to drive up by myself and come back after their show. I don't think it's going to happen, sadly.

305 Engine

Post by 305 Engine »

If last night's show is a measure, they've built up a strong following in the UK very quickly. It must feel strange to have people shouting out song requests on your first european tour.

And a lot of people with big grins singing along to "listen to drive by truckers" so i guess theres a fair bit of crossover.

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

Wednesday's lead guitarist Jake/MJ Lenderman has some good stuff. Varied sounds with a different vibe than Wednesday---lots of sports references and subtle humor.

I'm digging the "Boat Songs" album, song "TV Dinners" from the "Knockin" EP, and the "Ghost of Your Guitar Solo" album.
Let the outside air in

Sterling Bigmouth

Seeing MJ Lenderman tonight in Nashville. Glad to finally catch him solo after the three awesome Wednesday shows I’ve been to.

Clams

Post by Clams »

I've been listening to this record quite a bit lately and I like it. That said, I'd still rank it no higher than 22 on the all time alt-country list. :D
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Zip Up to Michigan

Post by Zip Up to Michigan »

I've seen them twice in the last month: at a tiny club in my town (Grand Rapids, MI) as headliners and in the daytime at a music festival (Nelsonville). I enjoyed both sets tremendously. They are so good live. They need to work on show length. Their headlining set was barely longer than an hour.

I bought their new record at the show. It was much easier for me to get into them live. I'm still trying with the record. The screaming at the end of Bull Believer is just not a good way to start a record off IMO. I do like it more than I dislike it. I'm sure it will grow on me.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Zip Up to Michigan wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2023 11:26 pm
I've seen them twice in the last month: at a tiny club in my town (Grand Rapids, MI) as headliners and in the daytime at a music festival (Nelsonville). I enjoyed both sets tremendously. They are so good live. They need to work on show length. Their headlining set was barely longer than an hour.

I bought their new record at the show. It was much easier for me to get into them live. I'm still trying with the record. The screaming at the end of Bull Believer is just not a good way to start a record off IMO. I do like it more than I dislike it. I'm sure it will grow on me.
That's cool that you came down for Nelsonville. It's been several years since I've gone, but they always put out a good lineup