Looking for Red Rocks Recommendations

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

brettac1

Looking for Red Rocks Recommendations

Post by brettac1 »

Finally going to a show at my main bucket list venue, Red Rocks. Looking for any and all recommendations for my time in CO. Primarily lodging, food, and transportation suggestions, as well as tips for navigating the venue itself i.e. lines and such.

Thanks!
Do you ever get tired of singin' songs
Like all your pain is just another fuckin' sing along?

pearlbeer

Re: Looking for Red Rocks Recommendations

Post by pearlbeer »

I saw DBT at Red Rocks pre-pandemic. I can't remember what year, because time gets really weird for me to measure prior to the lockdown. I recall we had a normal president, and it...yes, must have been 2016. The boys played "The Bitch is Back" I think as kind of a prelude to Hillary getting elected, so it must have been then. Anyway...

1) It's not super near anything, so plan on a long shuttle or uber or sober driver.

2) It's fairly close to Lookout Mountain, which isn't from the DBT song, but is cool to visit and a few nice short hikes with some crazy awesome views.

3) Here is my main advice: GET THERE EARLY. This isn't about the crowds, it's about the vibe. IMO, you just can't spend enough time hanging out in such a cool location and be sure to give yourself lots of time to visit the museum which is a must-do for any music buff. Drink beer, smoke weed, watch the sunset. It's pretty awesome.

I want to go back. Take me with you.
Love each other, Motherfuckers!

brettac1

Post by brettac1 »

pearlbeer wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:29 pm
I saw DBT at Red Rocks pre-pandemic. I can't remember what year, because time gets really weird for me to measure prior to the lockdown. I recall we had a normal president, and it...yes, must have been 2016. The boys played "The Bitch is Back" I think as kind of a prelude to Hillary getting elected, so it must have been then. Anyway...

1) It's not super near anything, so plan on a long shuttle or uber or sober driver.

2) It's fairly close to Lookout Mountain, which isn't from the DBT song, but is cool to visit and a few nice short hikes with some crazy awesome views.

3) Here is my main advice: GET THERE EARLY. This isn't about the crowds, it's about the vibe. IMO, you just can't spend enough time hanging out in such a cool location and be sure to give yourself lots of time to visit the museum which is a must-do for any music buff. Drink beer, smoke weed, watch the sunset. It's pretty awesome.

I want to go back. Take me with you.
Thanks for the input! I can't wait to go and experience it. Ever since I was probably 9 years old and I saw a "Moody Blues Live at Red Rocks" video on some random music channel on our big satellite dish, it has been a goal of mine to go there.

I don't drink or smoke weed but I can still appreciate the wonders of nature. I do have GA tix so I expect to get there early. I'm guessing probably a few hours before they open.
Do you ever get tired of singin' songs
Like all your pain is just another fuckin' sing along?

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

If ever a thread called for my input, I suppose this is the one. A few opening questions and some general thoughts.

1) What show? I'm eyeing Isbell right now (naturally) but those tickets tend to be easier to come by as scalpers give up their dreams of 10x profit margins. Keeping an eye on Childers too.
2) How many days are you here?
3) Will you have a car?
4) What part of town would you like to stay in?

With that out of the way, I would say getting there early and getting a spot in the Upper North lot is your best bet. There are four lots that vary in terms of how much walking you will have to do to get into the venue. Upper North fills up first, but it's my preference to avoid endless stairs or long ramps.

Don't roll down your window for the guy who will try to hand you a flyer when you enter the park. It's just trash and you'll throw it away as soon as you exit the vehicle.

Food-wise, if you're looking for a spendy sit-down experience, The Wolf's Tailor is the hot place right now. Root Down is always good. If you are willing to drive a bit, Annette is in Aurora and comes highly recommended (haven't had a chance myself just yet).

Tocabe is a much cheaper option. It's an Indigenous-owned and operated fast-casual place. Think "Chipotle but with frybread."

South Federal Blvd. will you be your go-to for Vietnamese. Vinh Xuong Bakery makes a phenomenal Banh Mi. Pho Duy is great. There are also good authentic Mexican places (think street tacos) in this area.

Lots of good Mexican options. Kahlo's on Morrison Road. Tamayo is an upscale place Downtown. La Diabla makes a mean pozole.

A trendy food hall called Avanti has outposts in Denver and Boulder. Denver Central Market is a similar thing in the trendy RiNo (River North) neighborhood.

Let me know what you're in the mood for and I will point you in the right direction.

For recreation...I dunno, go to Meow Wolf and/or the Museum of Contemporary Art, and then head for the hills. Garden of the Gods is likely to be swamped on weekends, but it's breathtaking. You can drive to the top of Pikes Peak or Mount Evans to say you've been on top of a 14,000-foot summit. Of if you want to put in the sweat equity, Quandary Peak is probably the most popular "first fourteener."

Boulder's flatirons are iconic and worthwhile. Spend some time in Boulder (or Nederland if you're feeling frisky). Let me know if you are looking for mountain recommendations and how long you are willing to drive.

I'll PM you my cell number. No pressure, but would love to meet up for a meal when you're here if schedules work out.
All it takes is one wicked heart, a pile of money, and a chain of folks just doing their jobs

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

Oh also Fire on the Mountain chicken wings. I don't even eat chicken (they have veggie options too) and I still dream about the Jamaican Jerk sauce.
All it takes is one wicked heart, a pile of money, and a chain of folks just doing their jobs