Favorite Records of 2022

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

chuckrh

Re: Favorite Records of 2022

Post by chuckrh »

beantownbubba wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 2:43 pm
As is by now SOP, I didn’t listen to a ton of new music this year, but I feel like I heard most of the albums most likely to grab my attention. The groupings more or less correspond to “A,” “A-,” “B+” and “I feel like I ought to like these a lot more than I do.” Rankings within each group are INPO.

I think I’m the first person to list the Bonnie Raitt album, which I find very surprising. I think it’s among her best work with multiple killer tracks.

Bonnie Raitt – Just Like That
Drive By Truckers – Welcome to Club XIII
The Paranoid Style – For Executive Meeting
SZA - SOS
2nd Grade – Easy Listening
The Beths – Expert in a Dying Field

Lee Bains & The Glory Fires – Old-Time Folks
Beyonce - RENAISSANCE
Alvvays – Blue Rev

Amanda Shires – Take It Like A Man
Craig Finn – A Legacy of Rentals
Taylor Swift - Midnights
Young Guv – III & IV

Plains – I Walked With You A Ways
Big Thief – Dragon New Warm Mountain I Believe In You

Note: Christgau seems to think that the Amyl & the Sniffers album was released in 2022 but it seems pretty clear that it was a 2021 release. It would be probably be in the second category if I included it.
The Beths are touring next month. Great live band, highly recommended. They seem to be doing multiple nights in small clubs this time around. They could probably play bigger venues if they wanted. & you're correct, Amyl & the Sniffers "Comfort to Me" came out in 2021, at least in Australia/New Zealand. Another fantastic live band.