Always Go To The Show (is now meaningless)

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

chuckrh

Re: Always Go To The Show (is now meaningless)

Post by chuckrh »

I used to camp out overnight for tickets sometimes in the old days. We also had a drug store with ticketmaster in the middle of gangland that not many people used. When REM came on the Monster tour I got a friend who was packing to go with me as I had hundreds of dollars for tickets. Bought him breakfast for his trouble.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Been there, done all that, more or less, and even used some stone age even more non-technological methods, like begging or calling your father's old friend that he hasn't spoken to in a decade but he works for some company tangentially related to the band or venue. The bottom line is, was and always will be that Ticketmaster sucks. The TM resale market takes the word "scam" to new levels of scumbaggery. I know that it's legal, but that doesn't mean it should be. And just to beat a dead horse, TM and LiveNation should not be part of the same company.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

the one thing you can't get around though is demand... for some shows, there is going to be a ton of competition for a limited inventory, esp if you want good seats. it's not a basic human right that you can buy a ticket to any show.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

tinnitus photography wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 2:45 pm
the one thing you can't get around though is demand... for some shows, there is going to be a ton of competition for a limited inventory, esp if you want good seats. it's not a basic human right that you can buy a ticket to any show.
Yep. We've had this convo a million times and there is indeed no way around it. Better that the money go to the artist than the scalpers or the ticketmasters of the world, though the way TM scams things, partially described in that post, it's not even clear that the artists are getting all the money they should be. Why there are so many people still willing to pay into four figures to see, ahem, legacy acts, is another story but no doubt the words "baby boomers" and "one percenters" are part the story. And who knows? We haven't yet discovered what I may be willing to pay to see Bruce one more time. It's certainly more than would have been seemly even a few short years ago. Whether it's what sellers want is still an open question.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

beantownbubba wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 3:12 pm
Fri Nov 04, 2022 2:45 pm
Yep. We've had this convo a million times and there is indeed no way around it. Better that the money go to the artist than the scalpers or the ticketmasters of the world, though the way TM scams things, partially described in that post, it's not even clear that the artists are getting all the money they should be. Why there are so many people still willing to pay into four figures to see, ahem, legacy acts, is another story but no doubt the words "baby boomers" and "one percenters" are part the story. And who knows? We haven't yet discovered what I may be willing to pay to see Bruce one more time. It's certainly more than would have been seemly even a few short years ago. Whether it's what sellers want is still an open question.
I ended up paying about the same for Bruce as I did for the last River tour. Not bad. Funny how all these things that used to be the realm of organized crime (ticket scalping, legalized gambling, pot, etc) aren't any better now that they're legal. Just wait, there are going to be some huge gambling scandals coming. It will be with the officials & lower echelon or college athletes Sorry to get off track.

Clams

Post by Clams »

A friend said, “Always go to the show, right?” Yes and no. "Always go to the show means" don’t wimp out if you are holding a ticket and you are tired or work sucks or you don’t want to leave the house. It means, going to the show is important for your soul and I know it’s hard to go from work to a club and get home late, do not neglect your spiritual health because of this stupid grind we are forced to participate in. “Always go to the show” does not mean spending crazy, insane money for a regular tour (I’m not talking about a benefit or the Rock Hall induction or some kind of truly once-in-a-lifetime event).

https://jukeboxgraduate.letterdrop.com/ ... eaningless
Was Dr John actually interviewed for this story? Did someone else actually coin the phrase Always go to the show?? Have we been giving John false credit for all this time??? So many questions!!

Oh and Ticketmaster is a for profit corporation and all they care about is making $$. They dont give a shit about ticket buyers, the artists, the venues or anything other than their own bottom line. So the whole surge pricing thing shouldn't surprise anyone, it's just the next step in the price gouging process. 5 years from now it'll be something even worse.

Also, cost is one of the many reasons why I've pretty much sworn off shows by bigger artists and bigger venues. There are rarely any cost or capacity issues when buying tickets to see 99% of the bands I like. Plus the venues are so much better and so is the sound, and it's always cheaper and the beer is always better. But yeah it sucks when you're trying to see the Boss on a Beaver Brown budget ;) .
If you don't run you rust

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Clams wrote:
Sat Nov 05, 2022 8:19 am
Was Dr John actually interviewed for this story? Did someone else actually coin the phrase Always go to the show?? Have we been giving John false credit for all this time??? So many questions!!
I took it from the other end, figuring jonicont can do no wrong. I was wondering whether we or the doc have claims for copyright and/or trademark infringement. How dare she?!

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

beantownbubba wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 2:46 pm
Clams wrote:
I interpreted it from the other end, figuring jonicont can do no wrong. I was wondering whether we or the doc have claims for copyright and/or trademark infringement. How dare she?!

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

Clams wrote:
A friend said, “Always go to the show, right?” Yes and no. "Always go to the show means" don’t wimp out if you are holding a ticket and you are tired or work sucks or you don’t want to leave the house. It means, going to the show is important for your soul and I know it’s hard to go from work to a club and get home late, do not neglect your spiritual health because of this stupid grind we are forced to participate in. “Always go to the show” does not mean spending crazy, insane money for a regular tour (I’m not talking about a benefit or the Rock Hall induction or some kind of truly once-in-a-lifetime event).

https://jukeboxgraduate.letterdrop.com/ ... eaningless

Oh and Ticketmaster is a for profit corporation and all they care about is making $$. They dont give a shit about ticket buyers, the artists, the venues or anything other than their own bottom line. So the whole surge pricing thing shouldn't surprise anyone, it's just the next step in the price gouging process. 5 years from now it'll be something even worse.

Also, cost is one of the many reasons why I've pretty much sworn off shows by bigger artists and bigger venues. There are rarely any cost or capacity issues when buying tickets to see 99% of the bands I like. Plus the venues are so much better and so is the sound, and it's always cheaper and the beer is always better. But yeah it sucks when you're trying to see the Boss on a Beaver Brown budget ;) .
I bailed on the Boss here in Austin when, like the author of the article stated, I was like "how can this many people afford these prices?" or "there are 20,000 people in Austin who like the Boss a HELL of a lot more than me. I'm going to wait day of, or maybe even visit a friendly scalper 10mins after the show starts.

I've been okay with the recent rise of non-national tickets which seemed to have moved up from $20 to $30 or $40. I saw Emmylou last week for $50. Fine. They've got to eat and touring now pays the bills. But, anything over $100 is still pretty damn expensive in my book. I'm going to go shake my old-man fist at the sky now.
Love each other, Motherfuckers!

brettac1

Post by brettac1 »

I have been keeping an eye on Bruce prices for MKE and they're still as bad as they were right after the sellout.
Wound up bleeding on the bar floor
We don't bet on the ball no more

tinnitus photography

Thom Yorke and Jonny Greenwood's new project The Smile is playing next week and tickets are $90... it's in a small room for them (3500) but it's not Radiohead.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Mon Nov 07, 2022 8:55 pm
Thom Yorke and Jonny Greenwood's new project The Smile is playing next week and tickets are $90... it's in a small room for them (3500) but it's not Radiohead.
Tickets in the rafters for the Who here were over $100 here in our shiny new arena. I'd heard they were going for $25 in other cities close to the show. I might've went for that just to see Pete but I haven't been wild about the tapes I've heard with the orchestra. Can't wrap my head around "Won't Get Fooled Again" acoustic. It was ok as a novelty in 1996 (the T.E.D. Quadrophenia tour) but I had no real desire to hear it again. Can't remember if I've written about it here but when I did what may be my last hurrah for rock road trips in September for NIN in Oregon I was struck by the efforts Trent Reznor made to keep things fan friendly. The non festival shows (except Cleveland) were mostly in under 10000 seat outdoor venues & the tickets were GA $100. They sold out immediately. Also, they changed the sets every night so I saw 2 very different shows. Finally, the merch was reasonable & high quality. Shirts were $30, $40 long sleeve. In comparison, RHCP were charging $50 for a regular shirt. I love RHCP with John Frusciante but I don't think I'd go see them in a stadium again. Tickets were really expensive & they only played 90 minutes. Depending on some things my show going days may be coming to screeching halt very soon. I'm seeing Flaming Lips & Particle Kid next week & that's it for this year. It's going to be a struggle but I love the Lips & Particle Kid was my favorite record this year. Anything beyond that is going to be up to doctors unfortunately. & budget.

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

OG in the house! My buddy got MMJ tix for a silly price. They were half of what he paid a week before the show
Always go to the show

tinnitus photography

i am pretty shocked that NIN t shirts were only $30... they probably didn't even make any money on them unless they were able to talk the venue out of their cut.

The Who with an orchestra is not gonna have a changing set list. it's not like they were freewheeling on tour in the past anyways. i thought the orchestra backing the Tommy and Quadrophenia stuff sounded really good; i saw that tour twice.