Wilco's Cruel Country

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Kudzu Guillotine

Wilco's Cruel Country

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

The first taste from Wilco's Cruel Country which will be available for digital download on Friday, May 27th. Over the course of the past few albums I've slowly lost interest in them. Not as a live band but as far as their studio albums. So much so, that after hearing some of their last album I didn't even bother purchasing it. A first for me with Wilco. However, if the rest of the new album (which is a two album set) sounds anything like this, consider me all in. More info on the new record via an article from Variety below.

https://variety.com/2022/music/news/wil ... M11OJDCAxI

Zip City

Re: Wilco's Cruel Country

Post by Zip City »

Good stuff. I saw them on the Ode to Joy your, and the band looked as bored playing the new songs as the audience did listening to it. A sharp left turn is welcome news
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

KcGhostToMost

Post by KcGhostToMost »

I really enjoyed Ode To Joy a lot as an album. I must be in the minority there, but it is a consistent spin for me still. I will say I have missed their country roots over the years and many albums and welcome it back at any time.....especially an entire double album worth of tracks. Super excited for this. The band has come full circle. :D

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

For me they had a spectacular run from Summerteeth to Kicking Television. Since then, there are good songs on every album but you have to look a bit harder. As I'm not the biggest country fan in the world I have some trepidation about the new record. I will definitely give it a chance though.

Kudzu Guillotine

The first interview Jeff Tweedy has done about Wilco's new album Cruel Country which is out on Friday, May 27th.

https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/m ... interview/

Kudzu Guillotine

Another new song from Cruel Country.

https://youtu.be/NY9ZQMdRAY4

KcGhostToMost

Post by KcGhostToMost »

I’ve listened to Cruel Country 3 times straight through and it is definitely one of my favs all time from them. Jeff’s lyrics are the best they have been in years. The hushed vocals throughout add to the intimacy of these songs for me. I also really love the melodic tone musically through the whole album. I know the band is all world and can play an array of styles but for this album allowing the lyrics to take center stage was what was needed. Obviously I have all summer to listen to it and I’m sure it will grow on me even more over time but right now I put it up there with Being There and Sky Blue Sky which were two of my very fav albums by Wilco. Heading into my summer officially today…..this was exactly what I needed.