my records are finally home

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

tinnitus photography

my records are finally home

Post by tinnitus photography »

after being left at my ex-wife's place for a few years, i have finally been reunited with my albums. when i was looking for a place last year, a major consideration was where/how to store my LPs. i had to find a space with good wall space and no baseboard heaters, thermostats, windows, etc. i sacrificed a bedroom for this duty and i think it came out pretty well. if anyone wants/needs custom cabinetry done in the MA area, i can't recommend Nate from www.createandform.com enough. he was super easy to work with and did a great job.

this weekend i finished moving all my LPs from my ex's place and now the shelves are stocked. last duties include filing the LPs chronologically (they are alphabetized, I'm no savage), and also alphabetizing the 10" records. Not entirely sure how I intend to organize the compilation LPs, maybe by genre?

CDs are in basement exile.

Clams

Re: my records are finally home

Post by Clams »

Where's the stereo/record player?
If you don't run you rust

tinnitus photography

you mean i have to PLAY these things?

it's in the other room.

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Man, that is fancy. Seriously--looks great. Apropos the rig, 1--get rid of the Christmas lights (What are you in JHS)--seriously, it's better not to add anything that could contribute noise on your incoming AC line. 2--move both speakers to the left towards the door jamb. Could open up your soundstage
Always go to the show

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Is that a Cambridge CxnV2
Always go to the show

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

I used to have a spare bedroom that was all lps & cds. Ended up having to sell most during a rough patch. At that point I got good money for cds, vinyl not so much. Would be different now. I kept the good stuff though. Still have too many, haha.

tinnitus photography

Jonicont wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 1:40 pm
Man, that is fancy. Seriously--looks great. Apropos the rig, 1--get rid of the Christmas lights (What are you in JHS)--seriously, it's better not to add anything that could contribute noise on your incoming AC line. 2--move both speakers to the left towards the door jamb. Could open up your soundstage
but i LIKE my fairy lights!

how far should I move the speakers? I don't really have a lot of room tbh. and the asymmetry of the speakers relative to the stereo might fuck w/ my head.

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

tinnitus photography wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:33 am
after being left at my ex-wife's place for a few years, i have finally been reunited with my albums. when i was looking for a place last year, a major consideration was where/how to store my LPs. i had to find a space with good wall space and no baseboard heaters, thermostats, windows, etc. i sacrificed a bedroom for this duty and i think it came out pretty well. if anyone wants/needs custom cabinetry done in the MA area, i can't recommend Nate from www.createandform.com enough. he was super easy to work with and did a great job.

this weekend i finished moving all my LPs from my ex's place and now the shelves are stocked. last duties include filing the LPs chronologically (they are alphabetized, I'm no savage), and also alphabetizing the 10" records. Not entirely sure how I intend to organize the compilation LPs, maybe by genre?

CDs are in basement exile.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

cortez the killer

Jonicont wrote:
1--get rid of the Christmas lights (What are you in JHS)--seriously
:lol:
- DPM

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

After years of having to haul them out every time there was the threat of a hurricane on the NC coast, I put my vinyl into storage after Hurricane Floyd in 19999. I was reunited with it around 2010 but didn't end up buying a stereo system (used) until 5 or 6 years ago. I got about 2 months out of it before the receiver went wonky. Now, due to current space limitations my entire music collection is in storage. There's also the very real likelihood that I'm going to have to part with it (as well as all of my physical media) in the not too distant future.

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Mon Mar 14, 2022 2:55 pm
Jonicont wrote:
but i LIKE my fairy lights!

how far should I move the speakers? I don't really have a lot of room tbh. and the asymmetry of the speakers relative to the stereo might fuck w/ my head.
Ideally 3’ from the side walls. In reality, whatever you can handle mentally. An inch or two can make a difference
Always go to the show

tinnitus photography

cool, i will move them around and experiment.

but my jr high lights stay!

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:35 pm

Fine. But turn them off when you’re listening and turn them on when you’re (ahem) entertaining
Always go to the show

cortez the killer

Jonicont wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:18 pm
Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:35 pm

Fine. But turn them off when you’re listening and turn them on when you’re (ahem) entertaining
- DPM

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Congratulations, looks great! Perhaps you will inspire me to get my act together, or not.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Tin, ditch the lights, add a lava lamp.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard