Get Back: Beatles Documentary Series on Disney+

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

beantownbubba

Get Back: Beatles Documentary Series on Disney+

Post by beantownbubba »

It costs $8 to add Disney+ for one month. That works out to about a buck an hour for this documentary, 50 cents if you watch with somebody else. Do it. Plus you can then watch all your disney guilty pleasure to your heart's content.

This documentary is extraordinary in more ways than I can easily identify. It both confirms things you thought you knew about each of the Beatles and the band as they slid towards their breakup while also making you question everything you thought you knew. Fascinating glimpses and moments abound. But to me the 2 biggest things are the insights into the actual creative process which are like nothing I've ever seen before and the undeniable joy the Beatles take, individually and collectively, in just making music. Fascinating, wonderful and totally absorbing. I could talk about this show for hours but I'll let you discover it for yourselves.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Zip City

Re: Get Back: Beatles Documentary Series on Disney+

Post by Zip City »

It really is great. I thought Part 1 was a slog at times, but Parts 2 and 3 are fantastic. Film restoration is remarkable, sound is superb, and it truly feels like a fly on the wall experience (once they move to Apple Studios, the filming feels completely non-invasive.

Highly recommend
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Flea

Post by Flea »

beantownbubba wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 3:35 pm
But to me the 2 biggest things are the insights into the actual creative process which are like nothing I've ever seen before and the undeniable joy the Beatles take, individually and collectively, in just making music.

Yes, this. I've been trying to find a way to define my feelings about the release, and I think you nailed it.
Now it's dark.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

I've got it cued up. I have been waiting for a time when I'm not in a "fuzzy" state. Have been through the grinder the past week with medicine being practiced on me. Looking forward to this hugely!

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

I startet watching it a week ago or so, and was really struggling through approx first half of ep.1, and almost jumped off. Glad I finally made it through and watched that whole episode, and eventually the whole thing. Absolutely fascinating on so many levels.

Having been in bands, and attempted to write a few tunes back in the days, both solo and in band/rehearsal environment - at a completely different level off course, and galaxies away in terms of talent (no comparison intended there) - I think the Beatles songwriting process is not that different from how many musicians go about it, and how many songs now considered classics have been written. But still, witnessing it in this documentary was mind-blowing.

So much other stuff going on as well besides the purely musical things.

The documentary has made me want to go back and listen some of their albums again, something I haven't done for years. When I was maybe 12-13 yo I convinced my dad to buy a box-set of their "core-catalogue" UK album releases (13). (He was a fan, but wasn't really a records collector). I remember my favorites back then was the white album, abbey road and rubber soul. Its been an interesting experience, and I find I listen to those albums with a completely different perspective as an adult - I think I may not have completely understood how great they were when I was younger. It's like "discovering" the Beatles for the first time, almost. Huge bonus.

I am also enjoying the McCartney - Rick Rubin documentary. Breaking down some of those songs, it strikes me how hard they played/rocked on many tunes. Haven't really noticed that before - perhaps apart from a few obvious exceptions (Helter Skelter).

I agree with a lot of what Otis Gibbs has to say about the documentary, and Beatles in general here. Some things said about being in bands I can relate to as well (again - sans the talent of course).

Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

RolanK wrote:
Sat Dec 11, 2021 5:53 am
I agree with a lot of what Otis Gibbs has to say about the documentary
I'm interested but I can't sit and listen to a talking head for 26 minutes (nor do I find podcasts appealing). Highlights?
RolanK wrote:
I find I listen to those albums with a completely different perspective as an adult - I think I may not have completely understood how great they were when I was younger. It's like "discovering" the Beatles for the first time, almost. Huge bonus.
Sounds like a fabulous experience. I should probably follow suit.
RolanK wrote:
sans the talent
How the hell can you speak English well enough to use an expression like this? I "hate" you.

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

beantownbubba wrote:
Sat Dec 11, 2021 12:40 pm
RolanK wrote:
I agree with a lot of what Otis Gibbs has to say about the documentary
I'm interested but I can't sit and listen to a talking head for 26 minutes (nor do I find podcasts appealing). Highlights?
Otis wrote: "If someone comes up to me and say they can't stand the Beatles I know I don't have to talk to or listen to a single word that person have to say about anything remotely related music ever again!"
(or something to that effect).

Also he runs through the band members and talk about how every group he has been in have had "similar" personalities and how he recognize some of the dynamics going on. (I have seen other people on twitter making a point of this (David Crosby among others), and I see what they are saying).

He continues talking about some of the other characters as well. Otis published a couple of interviews that he did earlier this year on youtube featuring the "ginger" kid (now an older gentleman and quite a character, with a long list of merits as a roadie working for big names) holding up the lyrics sheet for John to read during the roof top concert, so he obviously got some insights into some of the "behind the scenes" from those sessions.
beantownbubba wrote:
RolanK wrote:
sans the talent
How the hell can you speak English well enough to use an expression like this? I "hate" you.
Thanks! and I love you bubba!! "Sans" is a french word btw... ;)
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

RolanK wrote:
Sat Dec 11, 2021 1:18 pm
"Sans" is a french word btw...
Now you're pushing it, kid. :lol: That's part of what blew me away; your totally proper use of a french word adopted into English which is not your native language.

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

beantownbubba wrote:

RolanK wrote:
sans the talent
:lol:
Always go to the show

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

RolanK wrote:
Sat Dec 11, 2021 1:18 pm

Thanks! and I love you bubba!! "Sans" is a french word btw... ;)
The burn is real. :lol:
Always go to the show

305 Engine

Post by 305 Engine »

Like everyone else I absolutely loved this.

My main takeaway was that when they sat down and just played together, they were still just the band who played 7 days a week in Hamburg. Despite all the progression in the studio, their first instincts were still to play Chuck Berry together.

The other big takeaway... I think the truth of the breakup of that band is that noone really wanted to breakup the band. They had their fall outs and friction but they were brothers. Alan Klein and the squabbling over the business side is what really killed it.

And I absolutely loved the crowd interviews during the final show. And Mal Evans stalling the coppers.

The only doc that I think comes close to this is the One Plus One footage of the stones putting Sympathy for the Devil together. But even there you dont get things like watching McCartney composing Let it Be while someone reads the paper.