RIP Hank von Hell

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

RIP Hank von Hell

Post by RolanK »

Hank von Hell passed away earlier this week. RIP

Former Turbonegro singer Hank von Helvete has died aged 49
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

tinnitus photography

Re: RIP Hank von Hell

Post by tinnitus photography »

"I Got Erection" is a classic... Ass Cobra was my intro to the band.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

I saw them open for QOTSA in a venue associated with Disney World, which was pretty funny when you think about it. RIP.

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

chuckrh wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:00 pm
I saw them open for QOTSA in a venue associated with Disney World, which was pretty funny when you think about it. RIP.
I think it was one of the bands trade marks really. Never took themselves too seriously. Something cartoon-ish about them. In a fun and entertaining way (mostly).

First time I saw them was at Roskilde, Denmark in '98, that was just a few days/weeks before his collapse/break-down in Milano and the band gave it up for a few years. Hank wasn't making much sense on stage. Not sure if they managed to get through a whole song. It was a sad thing to witness. Then again at the comeback show in 2002 which was a completely different thing. Great show and very entertaining with ass-rockets and everything.

I never saw the band nor Hank solo again after he quit Turbo. He was living nearby in my small town so I saw him around from time to time. Had gained a lot of weight and clearly didn't look healthy. He was supposed to play a small acoustic show at a small local club here a couple of days before he was found dead in a park in Oslo. Cause of death not confirmed, but the place he was found is a well known "hangout" for junkies. As for many musicians he was hit hard with the consequences of the covid lock-down.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa