New Sturgill

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

drommel56

New Sturgill

Post by drommel56 »

The Ballad of Dood and Juanita is a pretty damned good record.
I would like to apologize to anybody that I have not offended. Please be patient, I will get to you.

Iowan

Re: New Sturgill

Post by Iowan »

I was underwhelmed. But I’ve learned to stick with Sturgill albums.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

I love it. I can’t stop listening to it. I love the songs and love the musicianship of this bluegrass band that he put together. But I probably like traditional bluegrass more than most people here. The last album was that but this is something more. Sort of a blend of old time mountain ballad type stuff with some Johnny Horton mixed in. Really cool to me that he decided to do a concept album that is actually a linear story that you can follow. Not all of them are like that. He isn’t to outsmart himself or the listener here. This is straight forward story telling which I think serves this music best and the fact that it’s a fictionalized story about his grandparents is awesome to me.

There no accounting for taste but it’s really something to me that Sound and Fury was so well received here but this has mostly been ignored and isn’t getting much buzz. Of course I realize it just came out but still. I’m e joying the new McMurtry but this is more in my sweet spot than that is. To me Sound and Fury was awful and this and Cutting Grass are great. I’ll be steadily listening to this one for a while.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

I should add that Sam hits home particularly hard to me right now but also makes me smile. I lost my Lucy back in June after almost eleven years of friendship. She wasn’t a coon hound like Sam she was a half English half American bulldog and she was the best dog I ever had and I’ve had some good ones and know a little about dogs. Also as a coon Hunter I love a ballad about a coon hound. My all time favorite was a female Plot we had named Honey Bear. Man she had a good sounding bay on her and was stronger than most male dogs her size. If you don’t much about hounds the Plot is my personal favorite. Bred in the Smokey Mountains as bear hounds so they are extremely gritty and have a will that rivals the pit bull. Wonderful dogs though. Sam from the song was a Walker and they’re good but I prefer the Plot.

boyyourself

Post by boyyourself »

Cole Younger wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 10:59 am
I love it. I can’t stop listening to it. I love the songs and love the musicianship of this bluegrass band that he put together. But I probably like traditional bluegrass more than most people here. The last album was that but this is something more. Sort of a blend of old time mountain ballad type stuff with some Johnny Horton mixed in. Really cool to me that he decided to do a concept album that is actually a linear story that you can follow. Not all of them are like that. He isn’t to outsmart himself or the listener here. This is straight forward story telling which I think serves this music best and the fact that it’s a fictionalized story about his grandparents is awesome to me.

There no accounting for taste but it’s really something to me that Sound and Fury was so well received here but this has mostly been ignored and isn’t getting much buzz. Of course I realize it just came out but still. I’m e joying the new McMurtry but this is more in my sweet spot than that is. To me Sound and Fury was awful and this and Cutting Grass are great. I’ll be steadily listening to this one for a while.

Yall are motivating me to try it. Might need the cd, some weed and whiskey and an endless dirt road. Easy.
Headed to the record store now. Been awhile since ive driven around just to listen to a record. thats my sweet spot honey.

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

I like the individual songs well enough, but the story needs an Act II. Killing the dog is sad because, well, it’s always sad when dogs die. But we never got to know Sam, really. He never really does anything to show us the bond between him and Dood. It’s like “Sam is a dog. Here is a song about a horse. Oh, Sam is dead now.”

Enjoyable record. More like an EP than a proper album though.
All it takes is one wicked heart, a pile of money, and a chain of folks just doing their jobs

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Mundane Mayhem wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 4:40 pm
I like the individual songs well enough, but the story needs an Act II. Killing the dog is sad because, well, it’s always sad when dogs die. But we never got to know Sam, really. He never really does anything to show us the bond between him and Dood. It’s like “Sam is a dog. Here is a song about a horse. Oh, Sam is dead now.”

Enjoyable record. More like an EP than a proper album though.
That’s a fair criticism. More songs to fill out the story would be nice.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Cole Younger wrote:

I hated Sound and Fury on first listen and came around in a big way. Cuttin' Grass was very immediate to me, but this one isn't for some reason.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Iowan wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:00 pm
Cole Younger wrote:

I hated Sound and Fury on first listen and came around in a big way. Cuttin' Grass was very immediate to me, but this one isn't for some reason.
Hard to say. I know we both like real country but I have no real
idea of where you are on bluegrass but you said you liked Cuttin Grass...

I love this album. I like it more as I listen to it more. Like I said it’s right in my sweet spot. Sound and Fury was unlistenable to me initially and still is. It almost seems like a prank that he has maintained all this time it’s so bad to me. Like I said, no accounting for taste.

Clams

Post by Clams »

I'm with Cole on this one. Everything about this record is great - the songs, the stories, the music, Sturgill's voice. This bluegrass band he's put together is so fucking good! Best example is the pickin and fiddlin on the song about his horse Shamrock. So tight.

I love how Sturgill just truly doesn't give a fuck anymore. He just does what he pleases without regard to what anyone wants him to do. And it works because he's just so damn good. Total respect.
If you don't run you rust

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

How many Sturgill albums is this now since he declared he wasn't making any more albums? :lol: :lol: :lol:
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

drommel56

Post by drommel56 »

Zip City wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:44 am
How many Sturgill albums is this now since he declared he wasn't making any more albums? :lol: :lol: :lol:
He most recently said 'solo' albums
I would like to apologize to anybody that I have not offended. Please be patient, I will get to you.

drommel56

Post by drommel56 »

I probably would had never heard of Sturgill if not for him opening for DBT in 2014.

305 Engine

Post by 305 Engine »

This one isn't quite clicking for me yet. But every album of his (maybe apart from Cuttin Grass 1 +2 which were pretty immediate) has grown on me over time.