3DD Artist o' the Week 9/13/2010 - Springsteen's Nebraska

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

littlemamma

Re: 3DD Artist o' the Week 9/13/2010 - Springsteen's Nebrask

Post by littlemamma »

well done FNW!!!!! and thanks to 3dd for getting me hooked on Bruce...
NSFW

sactochris

Post by sactochris »

RevMatt wrote:
Clams wrote:A good read as always, Rev. I agree with a lot of it and I disagree with a lot, too.

I don't think you can find two serious music fans who have the exact perspective on Springsteen.

In 2006 I went through a divorce. My wife threw me out of the house and I had to live in a place with no furniture. But instead of furniture I bought a brand new Triumph Bonneville. And every night I had this ritual. I would listen to the song "Darkness on the Edge of Town." The line, "Well if she wants to see me, you can tell her that I'm easily found. Tell her there's a spot out 'neath Abram's Bridge, And tell her, there's a darkness on the edge of town." Then, with that song stuck inside my head I would fire up the bike and, first, ride past Springsteen's house in Rumson. Then it was off to Ocean Ave to ride fast and carve corners with the rest of the bike scene.

I don't know If I have ever heard the same kind of raw emotion and intensity that I hear when I hear Bruce sing, "Well If she wants to see me" It just slays every time I hear that line. It has lost none of the impact, or the punch that it packed back when I first heard it when I was just a little boy listening to KZAP, 98.5 FM In Sacramento, back in the days when the AOR format ruled the FM airwaves. Ask OBL, I'm sure she remembers those days. Great post Rev. I love reading your stuff. I have my eye on the new Bonnie T100.
Keep calm and have a cigar

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

IT'S MONDAY, WHERE'S MY NEW AOTW???????
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Clams

Post by Clams »

Zip City wrote:IT'S MONDAY, WHERE'S MY NEW AOTW???????

Monday still has 8 hours left in it. Chill.
If you don't run you rust

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Clams wrote:
Zip City wrote:IT'S MONDAY, WHERE'S MY NEW AOTW???????

Monday still has 8 hours left in it. Chill.

NEVER!
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

Just heard on abc news that his bike wasn't born to run.
and that pussy Alec Baldwin blew that girl away, and speaking of pussy Steve got it all!

jr29

Post by jr29 »

Great piece about Atlantic City that popped up on my facebook yesterday via No Depression.
http://nodepression.com/article/they-bl ... ign=buffer

Sterling Bigmouth

Post by Sterling Bigmouth »

jr29 wrote:Great piece about Atlantic City that popped up on my facebook yesterday via No Depression.
http://nodepression.com/article/they-bl ... ign=buffer
Great piece. I got to see Greensky Bluegrass/Mandolin Orange cover Atlantic City at Bonnaroo this year, possibly my favorite moment of the entire weekend.
Turn it up to 10 and rip off the knob

Beaverdam

Re: 3DD Artist o' the Week 9/13/2010 - Springsteen's Nebraska

Post by Beaverdam »

I just read a great quote from Brian Williams (NBC) in which he referenced our country’s polarization and referred to “the darkness on the edge of town”. Williams is retiring (or at least taking a break) from journalism for such reasons.

Is “darkness on the edge of town” a commonly used phrase? I wonder if Williams is such a Springsteen fan that the phrase was unintentionally used. I mean, if I were ever interviewed, I could imagine me saying things like, “well you know we were heathens,” or “that was a long way, like a 26 mile drive,” without even thinking of the source; the phrases are just part of my vernacular.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Beaverdam wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:58 pm
I just read a great quote from Brian Williams (NBC) in which he referenced our country’s polarization and referred to “the darkness on the edge of town”. Williams is retiring (or at least taking a break) from journalism for such reasons.

Is “darkness on the edge of town” a commonly used phrase? I wonder if Williams is such a Springsteen fan that the phrase was unintentionally used. I mean, if I were ever interviewed, I could imagine me saying things like, “well you know we were heathens,” or “that was a long way, like a 26 mile drive,” without even thinking of the source; the phrases are just part of my vernacular.
Interesting question and I understand totally what you mean - I use DBT lyrics in conversation all the time, usually to puzzled reactions. FWIW I don't remember the phrase "darkness on the edge of town" being common before the Springsteen song so i think it does go back to him and a quick google search did nothing to change that conclusion. Whether his use of it reflects Williams's fandom or the evolution of the phrase into the broader vernacular (or a bit of a combination) I couldn't say.
All opinions and commentary in my posts are solely my own and are made in my personal capacity.

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

BTB, I was thinking of you and attorneys when I posted!!!! I guess I could google the definition of plagiarism, but the discussion is so much fun.

Plagiarism vs. imitation/the sincere form of flattery

I should probably have put those last few words in quotation marks since they are not my own!!!

Clams

Post by Clams »

Williams is a huge Springsteen fan and I believe they are good friends as well so his use of the phrase wasn't a coincidence.
If you don't run you rust

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

Well this community breathes a collective sigh of relief as Williams says, “ I’m retiring, but don’t blame clams!”