Radiohead The Bends

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

oilpiers

Radiohead The Bends

Post by oilpiers »

How is OK Computer considered the best album of the 90''s according to so may polls, when The Bends seems so much better to me? I bought OK Computer when it came out, and still have not "got it". The Bends is far superior listening my mind. Every time I listen to OK Computer, I am dumbfounded how most sources have it as one of the greatest albums of all time.

Flea

Re: Radiohead The Bends

Post by Flea »

oilpiers wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:27 am
How is OK Computer considered the best album of the 90''s according to so may polls, when The Bends seems so much better to me? I bought OK Computer when it came out, and still have not "got it". The Bends is far superior listening my mind. Every time I listen to OK Computer, I am dumbfounded how most sources have it as one of the greatest albums of all time.
I prefer Kid A and Amnesiac to both of them.
Now it's dark.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

I love OK Computer but the Bends is my favorite by Radiohead. Saw them in clubs a couple of times during that era. Unreal great. The later stuff is all good, too.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Both great records, though I prefer OK Computer. It’s not as radio friendly as The Bends but still completely accessible
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

oilpiers

Post by oilpiers »

I recently purchased The Bends on vinyl. Never heard Radiohead on vinyl prior to it. Listening to it last night cranked up. It was wonderful. I remember a review when it came out stating it was the album U2 probably wished they made, which was pretty high praise for the time.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

The Bends is probably their best work, IMO.

OK Computer is pretty damn good too, and I think it gets such high marks because it's the transition from the anthemic high point of Radiohead into the weird, tuneless, unlistenable shit that critics raved about and everyone pretends to like. It has some of the electronic weirdness that was to come, but not enough to sabotage the album.

Flea

Post by Flea »

Iowan wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:25 am

OK Computer is pretty damn good too, and I think it gets such high marks because it's the transition from the anthemic high point of Radiohead into the weird, tuneless, unlistenable shit that critics raved about and everyone pretends to like. It has some of the electronic weirdness that was to come, but not enough to sabotage the album.
I'm not pretending.
Now it's dark.

oilpiers

Post by oilpiers »

Iowan wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:25 am

You know, I kind of agree with the gist of your post, though maybe not as strong as you stated. But I have to admit, I know nothing about Flea besides his posts and his avatar, but I have acquired a significant respect for his concise and often hilarious comments. I doubt he pretends on this issue.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

I don't doubt Flea's sincerity, but I think in general my point is true. There are a lot of people who don't really enjoy those albums, but will say they're Radiohead's greatest work.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Iowan wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:44 am
I don't doubt Flea's sincerity, but I think in general my point is true. There are a lot of people who don't really enjoy those albums, but will say they're Radiohead's greatest work.
That’s definitely true with Kid A, which has some brilliant songs but also some self-indulgent nonsense. OK Computer is all killer, no filler (outside of Fitter, Happier, which is a simple skip)

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Zip City wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:12 am
Iowan wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:44 am
That’s definitely true with Kid A, which has some brilliant songs but also some self-indulgent nonsense. OK Computer is all killer, no filler (outside of Fitter, Happier, which is a simple skip)
I like OK Computer a lot, and I think a lot of people legitimately love it. I'm talking about Kid A and Amnesiac.

Flea

Post by Flea »

Kid A was my introduction to Radiohead (outside of randomly hearing Creep or High & Dry on the radio), rapidly followed by Amnesiac. They remain, IMO, their apex.
Now it's dark.

oilpiers

Post by oilpiers »

Flea wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:48 am
Kid A was my introduction to Radiohead (outside of randomly hearing Creep or High & Dry on the radio), rapidly followed by Amnesiac. They remain, IMO, their apex.
Sometimes your intro to an band that you like supersedes everything else they have done. My first Velvet Underground exposure is the live album 1969. I knew that album backwards and forewords before I ever heard anything in the studio. Top 10 album of all time for me. No other VU albums would be.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

This seemed like the best place to post this.

OK Computer turns 25. The "pro" side is well represented by this piece in the New Yorker:

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/cultu ... _content=B
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

beantownbubba wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 5:47 pm
This seemed like the best place to post this.

OK Computer turns 25. The "pro" side is well represented by this piece in the New Yorker:

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/cultu ... _content=B
Top 10 all time album for me