Happy Bob Day!

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

chuckrh

Happy Bob Day!

Post by chuckrh »

Today is Bob Dylan's 80th birthday. Hopefully the Neverending Tour hasn't ended!

John A Arkansawyer

Re: Happy Bob Day!

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

chuckrh wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 5:29 am
Today is Bob Dylan's 80th birthday. Hopefully the Neverending Tour hasn't ended!
I want to see him perform this new material so bad I can taste it.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

305 Engine

Post by 305 Engine »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 5:47 am
chuckrh wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 5:29 am
I want to see him perform this new material so bad I can taste it.
Seconded. That last album was remarkable.

305 Engine

Post by 305 Engine »

Don't necessarily agree with all of this article (I love seeing Dylan live) but it's a good read.

"Dylan’s fans are practised in lowering the bar. A crowd-pleasing set of beloved hits? Grow up. A hello, goodbye or thanks-for-coming? Dream on. He is the only artist I know of who routinely disfigures the melodies of his classic songs, often beyond recognition. At Hyde Park, my friend said that he was hoping to hear Make You Feel My Love and I had to inform him that Dylan had already played it."

https://unherd.com/2021/05/bob-dylan-doesnt-like-you/

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

305 Engine wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 3:25 pm
I had to inform him that Dylan had already played it."
This has not literally happened to me but I can definitely see how it could.

The NYTimes has a big article on Dylan as "our most underappreciated comic" but I haven't read it yet. I get that Dylan's particular sense of humor may not be easily understood (and I doubt that anyone gets all the intended jokes/sarcasm/commentary), but the idea that he doesn't have one is pretty surprising to me.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

305 Engine

Post by 305 Engine »

beantownbubba wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 5:14 pm
305 Engine wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 3:25 pm
I had to inform him that Dylan had already played it."
This has not literally happened to me but I can definitely see how it could.

The NYTimes has a big article on Dylan as "our most underappreciated comic" but I haven't read it yet. I get that Dylan's particular sense of humor may not be easily understood (and I doubt that anyone gets all the intended jokes/sarcasm/commentary), but the idea that he doesn't have one is pretty surprising to me.
Yeah I think Dylan's humour is hugely underrated and it's a big part of his secret. Some of the early talking blues stuff is hilarious to this day. You cant say that about many 60 year old jokes.

I've been to Dylan shows and it's been halfway through a song until I've realised what it is, so I can understand how the experience confuses the shit out of casual fans.

I think the article is tongue in cheek though. Suspect the man himself will enjoy that someone has chosen his 80th birthday as a suitable occasion to mock him a bit.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

So the Times article is kind of mediocre. It's here if you're interested:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/24/arts ... 029039208a

But the article is significant because it links to Steven Hyden doing Steven Hyden, ranking all of the Bobster's studio albums in his typically masterful way. Everyone will disagree w some aspect of his writing or his rankings, but there is a good thoughtful reason for everything Hyden says and the arguments are sort of the point of this kind of exercise. Plus he slams "Joey" the way it needs to be slammed and goes further by linking to Lester Bangs's dismantling of "Joey" in the Village Voice. For all of you "Joey" fans out there, and I know you're out there, some of you are even my friends, this is essential reading.

https://uproxx.com/indie/bob-dylan-albu ... -birthday/

https://www.villagevoice.com/2020/03/08 ... s-no-hero/

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

305 Engine wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 6:21 pm
[
I've been to shows and it's been halfway through a song until I've realised what it is..
Happened in the late 70's with Aerosmith. They were so wasted.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

LBRod wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 9:09 pm
305 Engine wrote:
[
I've been to shows and it's been halfway through a song until I've realised what it is..
I saw Jeff Beck open for Aerosmith on the Rocks tour. By the time Jeff did "Train Kept A Rollin'" for an encore, Aerosmith should've just stayed in the dressing room & called it good.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

beantownbubba wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 6:23 pm
But the article is significant because it links to Steven Hyden doing Steven Hyden, ranking all of the Bobster's studio albums in his typically masterful way. Everyone will disagree w some aspect of his writing or his rankings, but there is a good thoughtful reason for everything Hyden says and the arguments are sort of the point of this kind of exercise. Plus he slams "Joey" the way it needs to be slammed and goes further by linking to Lester Bangs's dismantling of "Joey" in the Village Voice. For all of you "Joey" fans out there, and I know you're out there, some of you are even my friends, this is essential reading.

Every Bob Dylan Studio Album, Ranked
Revisiting all 39 records by the legendary singer-songwriter on the eve of his 80th birthday.
That's the listicle most in line with my own views that I've seen. The problem with Bob is that he has so many undeniably Top Ten records:

The Freewheeling Bob Dylan
The Times They Are A Changing
Bringing It All Back Home
Highway 61 Revisited
Blonde on Blonde
The Basement Tapes
Planet Waves
Blood on the Tracks
Desire
Street-Legal
"Love and Theft"
Rough and Rowdy Ways

I dare you to rank those in order from one to ten!
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

305 Engine

Post by 305 Engine »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 7:10 am
beantownbubba wrote:

Every Bob Dylan Studio Album, Ranked
Revisiting all 39 records by the legendary singer-songwriter on the eve of his 80th birthday.
That's the listicle most in line with my own views that I've seen. The problem with Bob is that he has so many undeniably Top Ten records:

The Freewheeling Bob Dylan
The Times They Are A Changing
Bringing It All Back Home
Highway 61 Revisited
Blonde on Blonde
The Basement Tapes
Planet Waves
Blood on the Tracks
Desire
Street-Legal
"Love and Theft"
Rough and Rowdy Ways

I dare you to rank those in order from one to ten!
I like that the guy rates John Wesley Harding as one of the very best. I'm not sure why that one tends to be overlooked. Totally on board with him there.

305 Engine

Post by 305 Engine »

LBRod wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 9:09 pm
305 Engine wrote:
[
:)

305 Engine

Post by 305 Engine »

beantownbubba wrote:
So the Times article is kind of mediocre. It's here if you're interested:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/24/arts ... 029039208a

https://uproxx.com/indie/bob-dylan-albu ... -birthday/

https://www.villagevoice.com/2020/03/08 ... s-no-hero/
Great articles. Thanks for this.

I read Psychotic Reactions and Carburettor Dung cover to cover more than once in my teens but I can't remember reading that Joey Gallo piece before. Great stuff.

I actually quite like the NYT article. I agree that his humour is an underrated part of his appeal and can easily imagine that for people seeing his early shows, the comedy numbers will have won them around.

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

Otis Gibbs posted a funny little Dylan-story on the tube the other day. Perhaps not THE funniest story as advertised, but it made me laugh...

Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

RolanK wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 3:56 pm
Otis Gibbs posted a funny little Dylan-story on the tube the other day. Perhaps not THE funniest story as advertised, but it made me laugh...

Once again makes me wonder what must it be like to be Bob Dylan? I guess the alien dna helps him cope. :lol:

And yeah, funny, but not THAT funny lol.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

305 Engine wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 1:48 pm
I read Psychotic Reactions and Carburettor Dung cover to cover more than once in my teens but I can't remember reading that Joey Gallo piece before. Great stuff.

I actually quite like the NYT article. I agree that his humour is an underrated part of his appeal and can easily imagine that for people seeing his early shows, the comedy numbers will have won them around.
I think I remember reading the Bangs piece at the time in the Village Voice, but I may be making that up. It was a long time ago.

Humor has always been part of Dylan's persona and his music, I don't think that's arguable. I would not have thought it underrated, but as has been discussed in a variety of contexts on this site, underrated is mostly in the eye of the rater. I didn't disagree w/ the article I was just disappointed that it was mostly obvious or maybe surface-y.

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

beantownbubba wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 10:22 am
RolanK wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 3:56 pm

Once again makes me wonder what must it be like to be Bob Dylan? I guess the alien dna helps him cope. :lol:

And yeah, funny, but not THAT funny lol.
Yes agree, but with everything Otis (even if that was not actually Otis telling the story), I think the journey is more important than the destination.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

RolanK wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 1:24 pm
Yes agree, but with everything Otis (even if that was not actually Otis telling the story), I think the journey is more important than the destination.
LOL, exactly right. That's an "it's about the journey story" if ever there was one. BTW do you know who's telling it? I didn't catch his name.

305 Engine

Post by 305 Engine »

beantownbubba wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 1:42 pm
RolanK wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 1:24 pm
LOL, exactly right. That's an "it's about the journey story" if ever there was one. BTW do you know who's telling it? I didn't catch his name.
Chuck Mead.

305 Engine

Post by 305 Engine »

Enjoyed this piece on definitely his worst album.

https://www.insidehook.com/article/musi ... ock-bottom

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

Oh man, they were so close to getting it 🤣

This isn’t the perfect place for this but it’ll do
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

i saw Dylan for the first time last night. splendid show.
https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/bob-dyla ... 0518f.html

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

It’s always the answer 😉

Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing