Zappa doc

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Flying Rabbit

Zappa doc

Post by Flying Rabbit »

Came out today. Directed by Alex Winter (Bill and Ted, Lost Boys) and it is probably the best approximation of Zappa that we could hope to receive.

If you are new to Zappa, I think this would be an excellent primer. If you are a Zappa fan, you'll enjoy all the nooks and crannies that Winter was able to dig up. Some of this footage I've seen previously (SNL) but looks pristine. Winter said on twitter that the sunset strip stuff with the Mothers and exteriors was somehow dredged up and was new.

The only downside is that it is only 2 hours. Editorial choices had to be made--and it looks like they really leaned on bookending his career and focusing on the Mothers and his orchestral side. Everything in-between goes fairly quickly. As soon as Sheik Yerbouti is mentioned, its a machine-gun through his catalog until they hit Valley Girl.

While Gail was interviewed, Dweezil, Ahmet (who produced), Diva and Moon Unit were noticeably absent. Again, I think editorial choices had to be laid out and while FZ's compulsion and extramarital exploits are mentioned, this wasn't a doc to delve into whether he was a good or bad person. It's simply laid out as a career-spanning look.

Highly recommended. It's available to rent now for less than a good coffee.

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4F0rT0F6OQ[/media]

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Re: Zappa doc

Post by RolanK »

Cool! Hopefully it will be available through one the the streaming platforms I got access to. I went through a brief Zappa period back in the days, but never took the deep dive.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

RolanK wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:33 am
Cool! Hopefully it will be available through one the the streaming platforms I got access to. I went through a brief Zappa period back in the days, but never took the deep dive.
Likewise. Saw him once with Steve Vai on stunt guitar I think. It was a long time ago, haha. Like Ween, I have to be in the right mood for the lyrics. I'll watch the film out of curiosity for sure. Maybe something will hit me at my advanced age.

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Never saw him live, but I've been swimming in the deep end for years.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

Flying Rabbit

Post by Flying Rabbit »

RolanK wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:33 am
As much as I hated to do it, I rented it from Amazon for $4.99.