aotw 10/5/20: rich hopkins-godfather of desert rock

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Kudzu Guillotine

Re: aotw 10/5/20: rich hopkins-godfather of desert rock

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

dime in the gutter wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:34 am
just when shit was getting good.....sidewinders were sued by a NC cover band of the same name. 3 years of legal battles result in the band being forced to change their name to the sand rubies. yeah...not nearly as cool...but whatever.
Not to be pedantic but just to clarify, the NC band was Sidewinder. While they were known for being a cover band, they did have one album of mostly original material (Fade to Black). I saw them frequently back in the day, more so because they were often the opening act and were also a staple at festivals. It may also be worth noting that they once counted Robert Kearns (Cry of Love, Bottle Rockets, Skynyrd, Sheryl Crow) and Audley Freed amongst their members. Over the years, I believe they've had 30 in all. Apparently, the idea from the beginning is that they would have a revolving lineup. In the "You Can't Make This Shit Up" dept., in a recent FB post Patterson said Sidewinder gets a shoutout in a new DBT's song (not sure which one). That reminded me that at one time they were apparently quite well known outside of NC, especially on the club circuit. At one point they made it to the finals on Star Search but were beat out by Sawyer Brown.

On the Sidewinders tip, I first heard of them when I saw the video for the title track to Witchdoctor on MTV's 120 Minutes many years ago. I liked what I heard but never sought out any of their records. It wasn't until many years later that I learned of the lawsuit. BTW, I'm guessing you're aware they played at SXSW in 2016. I'm not sure if it was a one-off or if there were other shows. I just remember seeing their name on the roster back then.

Howlinwolf

Post by Howlinwolf »

Yea Kudzu I caught the Sidewinders in Phoenix back in Sept last year in a small club and they just kicked ass. They did another gig in Tucson a month later but I could not make that happen. Hopkins lives in Houston while the other cats live in Tucson so they don't play too often unfortunately

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 4:27 pm
dime in the gutter wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:34 am
just when shit was getting good.....sidewinders were sued by a NC cover band of the same name. 3 years of legal battles result in the band being forced to change their name to the sand rubies. yeah...not nearly as cool...but whatever.
Not to be pedantic but just to clarify, the NC band was Sidewinder.
thanks for reading the fine print and clarifying that important fact for me.

so the lawsuit is even a bigger load of horseshit than before i understood this fact.

rock and roll means well, but it can't help tellin young boys lies.