RIP Justin Townes Earle

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

rlipps

RIP Justin Townes Earle

Post by rlipps »

bovine knievel

Re: RIP Justin Townes Earle

Post by bovine knievel »

2020 just keeps on kicking. RIP JTE
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

Jesus! RIP
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

roland

Post by roland »

Fuck. This. Year.

RIP.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

RIP. Far too young.

docturk

Post by docturk »

This is heartbreaking.

Howlinwolf

Post by Howlinwolf »

This one just hurts y'all. Such a nice person and what amazing talent. Blessed I had an opportunity to see and meet him while he was just starting out in 2007 supporting Isbell on a few dates and continued to see him throughout the years. Loved his song" South Georgia Sugar Babe" and would always shout it out at shows, and always got a smile from him in return. (and sometimes get my request played!)Too young to go Justin, may you be in peace - your music and spirit will live on....

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

This one hit hard. I've had enough 2020.
Love each other, Motherfuckers!

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

I’m sorry to hear this.

The song “Lone Pine Hill,” got me on Pandora or a similar program years ago. I would work out in front of our lone smart tv in our old house. I would type on DBT, and this song would play; it mentions “Saylors Creek” which is close to where I lived and “Five Forks,” which is very close to my college.

Clams

Post by Clams »

I saw the news about JTE on facebook soon after it was announced the other night. My first reactions were, Fuck that's awful and Damn I didn't see that one coming. And then yesterday and today I've been playing his records and really, and I mean really, listening to the lyrics. And what I noticed right away was that it was all right there in his own words: sadness, fear, loneliness, confusion and even foreshadows of death. The man really did lay his emotions and troubles bare to all of us. Yes it's hindsight but when you listen today in context, maybe we should've seen it coming after all. Same goes for the lyrics of David Berman and I'm sure others who've left us too soon. RIP JTE.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I don't want to speculate about COD too much, but han't Earle had some substance abuse issues in the past?

EDIT: Yep

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/2 ... 631099002/
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

Zip City wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:43 pm
I don't want to speculate about COD too much, but han't Earle had some substance abuse issues in the past?

Unfortunately not a surprise. He had been to rehab like 9 times and always struggled with substances...heroin. Such a waste. Such a bummer.
Love each other, Motherfuckers!

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

pearlbeer wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:53 pm
Zip City wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:43 pm

Unfortunately not a surprise. He had been to rehab like 9 times and always struggled with substances...heroin. Such a waste. Such a bummer.
As far as I'm concerned, COVID killed him, in the sense that, without COVID, I bet he'd be alive today.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

I've been listening to JTE, and revisiting some podcasts with him over the years.

In 2017, he was on Walking The Floor, and it was a great interview. He was obviously sober. Yesterday, Broken Record put out a podcast with him that was recorded in 2020 (but pre COVID). He doesn't sound at all the same. He sounds like using. Jumpy, jittery, like he's barely holding it together. Still really entertaining, and his performances were great, but I'm thinking this was trending the wrong way before COVID.

Fucking heroin.

WarHenRecords

Post by WarHenRecords »

Unbelievably sad news.
Saw and worked with Justin many, many times over the last 10 years or so. To the point where we considered each other friends.
Big hugs, great hangs. Always felt like he wanted to spend more time hanging out in my office than he did in his green room.
Some wonderful memories with him.
RIP.
This is my label > http://warhenrecords.bandcamp.com/
Label IG > @WarHenRecords

WarHenRecords

Post by WarHenRecords »

Some notable shows:

Solo at HSBF in 2007 (maybe 2008). First time seeing him. Steve sat in a chair on the side of the stage and watched the whole thing.
The Big Surprise Tour in 2008 or 2009, whenever that was. Duo w/ Cory Younts. Killer revue style show with JTE, Felice Bros, Gillian & Dave and OCMS.
Opening for The Hold Steady in Charlottesville. The vibe all day was so righteous. We all grilled out by the buses for dinner.
JTE w/ American Aquarium opening, when JTE's band was the Centro-matic rhythm section and Paul Niehaus on guitar & steel. Incredible.
A couple killer trio sets with Amanda Shires & Bryn Davies.
Solo at The New England Festy in 2016 when he was riding around with just his dog in his truck for the tour. Aside from his time on stage, we hung out the entire day together.

I'm going to miss him a lot.
I already do.
This is my label > http://warhenrecords.bandcamp.com/
Label IG > @WarHenRecords

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

Broken Record podcast dropped a pretty recent conversation/interview with JTE this week.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I saw him live once......opening for Bright Eyes?

*checking*

Nope, opening for The Decemberists in 2011
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

KcGhostToMost

Post by KcGhostToMost »

No artist meant more to me than JTE. I was able to see him in KC at Knuckleheads right before the pandemic hit. He was outside smoking before the show and I walked up and struck up a convo with him. Completely genuine and real guy. We noticed the guy put Townes Justin Earle on the sign out front. I commented to the guy the sign was wrong in front of JTE. The guy got offended went inside and he and I changed the sign together then took a selfie I have on my desk at work. I listen to so many artists in the folk/Americana genre and no other has ever moved me like JTE. He could successfully blend so many styles of old effortlessly and was able to write songs lyrically that really brought you into the story. He had a way of making his songs so real and personable to the listener. I was very very sad when he passed. I’m sad for his wife and daughter most. His catalogue of music is the best I’ve ever listened to. I still listen to his albums straight through weekly. He did not make a bad album. He had so many classics from The Good Life to Harlem River Blue all the way to one of his very best in my opinion Saint of Lost Causes. It’s sad there will not be another album by him. I feel similar right now as I did when another genius songwriter died way too young Chris Porter. Those two were just starting to see what they could really do. JTE’s music will live on no doubt but few songwriters In my lifetime will ever reach his level of talent. Rip to truly of the the greatest of all time.