R.I.P - Charlie Daniels

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

tinnitus photography

Re: R.I.P - Charlie Daniels

Post by tinnitus photography »

Cole Younger wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:10 pm
Never in a million years did I think somebody would stop and take the time to pick apart my saying I respected Charlie Daniels for speaking his mind regardless of who it offended.
so, whatever anyone says is OK? it'll take you a million years to figure that one out?

got it.

granted as bigots and idiots go, CDB doesn't register too far on the scale so maybe i piled on the wrong person here.. he's kinda garden variety harmless MAGA white dude with some fucked up thoughts.

enjoy your CDB tribute thread.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Cole Younger wrote:
Never in a million years did I think somebody would stop and take the time to pick apart my saying I respected Charlie Daniels for speaking his mind regardless of who it offended. I do t know why you can’t even have a thread paying respect to someone who passed on anymore without people acting like pricks.

Every time Patterson Hood opens his pie hole and starts committing out political opinions a lot of people act like he’s doing something brave or like he even really knows what he’s talking about. Why? He’s on the right side.

And accusing Charlie Daniels of being a racist is about the stupidest damn thing I’ve ever heard. People who are obsessed with racism are usually racists.
There's a few valid points in this post, but the bolded is something I just don't abide by. I've never seen you say anything racist here, but I sure see a lot of folks on social media say and post really racist things, and then hide behind it when someone calls them out on it. Not accusing you of that at all (again, I've never seen you make a racist post), just pointing out the general observation.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Cole Younger wrote:
Never in a million years did I think somebody would stop and take the time to pick apart my saying I respected Charlie Daniels for speaking his mind regardless of who it offended.
I actually agree with you about that. It's a good personal quality to say what you think if you want to be heard. That he used that personal virtue to say things I sometimes thought were crappy--I'm mostly thinking of the Uneasy Rider remake, which just wasn't necessary, though not as bad as folks say. I mean, I bought the original single when it first came out**--doesn't mean the outspokenness itself isn't a virtue. I'm not big on "'Shut up,' he explained," as critique. I do occasionally give it as advice, including to myself, but that's another matter.
Cole Younger wrote:
I do t know why you can’t even have a thread paying respect to someone who passed on anymore without people acting like pricks.
This is one more part of what happens the less people talk to each other and talk more to the social media void.

It's also that right now, the zeitgeist is feisty and not in a forgiving mood. I also get that. When people feel as though they're breaking free of something bad, you'd best expect them to misbehave some in the process and expect them to exhibit some excessive zeal. It's very human.

There's a certain amount of justice that happens from the excess, too. It took this crisis for people in Arkansas to finally confront the contradiction of our great foreign policy liberal internationalist and domestic policy conservative segregationist J. William Fulbright. I've been making an argument along these lines with sweet reason going back to the mid-nineties, not long after his death,* and been greeted with crickets until the last few months. It took some yelling and some "fuck you too" to clear away the mystique.

Getting the "fuck you too" from folks this time around has been a great validation. They're having to deal with the actual argument now and I'm glad.
Cole Younger wrote:
And accusing Charlie Daniels of being a racist is about the stupidest damn thing I’ve ever heard. People who are obsessed with racism are usually racists.
I started to answer those two sentences separately, but I realized they're kind of linked.

In that first sentence, you're complaining--and I think fairly--about using the abstracted concept, the term of art "racism", which is intended to be a systemic critique, as though it were instead the concrete concept, the vernacular usage "racism", which is about the evil in men and women's acts and hearts and minds. It's not that there's no connection between the two; it's that tacitly equating the two is a cheap verbal trick which should only be played on the guilty, if even on them. I'll get to that in a bit.

There are two "racism"s in play there-- at least two, but I think they're the biggies, so I'll leave it at two--and that leads us to the second sentence.

I'm not going to try to parse it to divine your exact meaning--that's another cheap trick, where I get to retroactively define your terms for you--though anything you can make out of the distinction is something I'd like to hear about.

"Obsessed with racism" isn't the best phrasing. Not every deep and abiding concern that fills our days is an obsession. I grant you that it is an obsession in some, but that's not broad enough to cover all the cases. I see two things playing out which are other, distinct cases.

The first is the excessive zeal shown by every new convert to every new cause everywhere. That's a problem inherent to being human, as near as I can tell. If there were actual organization on the left, it'd be possible to refocus people somewhat, but there isn't. It has to be outlasted. It wears down.

The other is the built-up guilt finally being activated among white liberals of a certain age, who have known perfectly well over the years that they did not walk the walk like they talked the talk, not like they have for other causes.

A fair amount of the loudest crying about racism now is coming from liberals and moderates overcompensating from guilty consciences, about what they ignored and let fester, often to the quiet gain of their pocketbooks. Some of that is stimulated by cheap verbal tricks like I've mentioned and more sophisticated ones. I've decided not to care if irresponsible people with the time and money to know better are being guilt tripped by bullshit arguments. It goes against the grain to tolerate bullshit of any sort, but this just amounts to piled higher and deeper, and you have to stack bullshit somewhere.

(I'm not sure if this means crossing the Rubicon or jumping the shark or today I am a man, but tolerating bullshit seems like a major change in me.)

What's interesting to me, though, about your statement is that some people highly concerned, in some cases obsessed, with race are openly out-and-out bigots, racists in the common sense of the word, whereas others are racist (to my eye) in the abstracted sense, and the rest don't classify neatly.

**You know, now that I wrote this, I'm not sure that's true. I think I got that single after it got its second life through Dr. Demento, not when it first came out. But I did buy it in the seventies from hearing it on the radio. If my singles were organized, I'd find it and see. I'm sure I bought it new.
*And yes, I did let the body get cold before I did it, even though I was the publisher of the newspaper and I guess could have crapped right on his funeral had I felt like it. I think I wrote and printed some of it while he was still alive, too, but I'd have to go through the files and see to be sure.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

Cole Younger wrote:
Never in a million years did I think somebody would stop and take the time to pick apart my saying I respected Charlie Daniels for speaking his mind regardless of who it offended. I do t know why you can’t even have a thread paying respect to someone who passed on anymore without people acting like pricks.

Every time Patterson Hood opens his pie hole and starts committing out political opinions a lot of people act like he’s doing something brave or like he even really knows what he’s talking about. Why? He’s on the right side.

I`m with you Cole. This is a rest in peace thread, not the political bs thread. What is wrong with people? Oh yeah, I forgot "love everybody motherfuckers, except for the ones you hate", ;) the liberal motto.
Also, just because you`re a Ga fan doesn`t mean I hate you. :)
Last edited by Swamp on Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
and the rest as they say is uh er uh, well somebodies history somewhere?

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

Howlinwolf wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:53 pm
Really don't care about all the negativity - but I do know that CDB's "Saddle Tramp" and "Fire On The Mountain" are two of the finest Southern Rock n Roll albums ever.
I knew the first time we met, in front of the music farm, about 10 years ago we had more in common than just dbt. I get chills every time I hear "Saddle Tramp". Fire on the Mountain was my first Southern Rock or as Greg Allman would say rock rock album.
and the rest as they say is uh er uh, well somebodies history somewhere?