RIP John Prine

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

schlanky

Re: RIP John Prine

Post by schlanky »

Beaverdam wrote:The last sentence of Isbell’s article/eulogy is particularly touching.
Agreed. The paragraph just before is the one that gets me.
SXDX wrote:
When I was a baby, my 17-year-old mother would lay me on a quilt on the floor of our trailer in Alabama and play John Prine albums on the stereo. Forty years later, my daughter would call him Uncle John as he bounced her on his knee. My wife and I would sing his songs with him in old theaters or sometimes in his living room. In the summer, we’d all eat hot dogs with our feet dangling in his swimming pool. Now he’s gone and my heart is broken.
Isbell's music may have drifted away from what I'm into these days, but he has a gift with words. The perspective Isbell gave in that article is best thing I've read commemorating Prine.
Let the outside air in

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

schlanky wrote:My beer post of the evening is that Cooley could sing the hell out of "Far From Me." It sounds a lot like a song Cooley would write.
Really like the JTE cover of "Far From Me" on that Prine tribute album that came out years back. The one with the Cooley-sung "Daddy's Little Pumpkin."
All it takes is one wicked heart, a pile of money, and a chain of folks just doing their jobs

drommel56

Post by drommel56 »

It's clear that we all love John... The above tributes are wonderful. I've been drinking vod/ginger ale, watching JP youtube videos and crying for three days. Not sure why this hits so hard, I was late to the party, never heard of him until a girl who was breaking my heart played Bonnie's cover of 'Angel' around '91... and then rediscovered ~2005. My wife laughed at me when I listened to John, because, before we met, my profile said something about not being a fan of country music. I believe that John's simple message of kindness is what he was. I feel so fortunate to have seen him live, the goodness that radiated off of this man was incredible. I'm just gutted here
I would like to apologize to anybody that I have not offended. Please be patient, I will get to you.

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

The zen of John Prine (in three lines) by Jason Wilber

https://americansongwriter.com/zen-of-john-prine/
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

Todd Snider did a fun Stream on Sunday morning. All John Prine. Worth a listen for sure.

https://purplebuildinglive.com/

Todd also had a nice write up on Prine published in Rolling Stone:

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/musi ... ne-980532/
Love each other, Motherfuckers!

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

Another lovely tribute to John Prine.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/musi ... tt-981646/
Love each other, Motherfuckers!

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

drommel56 wrote: I believe that John's simple message of kindness is what he was. I feel so fortunate to have seen him live, the goodness that radiated off of this man was incredible. I'm just gutted here
For a guy with a whole lot of sad songs, he sure had a way of making you happier----complex emotions in simple words. And maybe some of it was just comfort in knowing we've all been there.

How the hell can a person go to work in the morning and come home in the evening with nothing to say?

She still laughs with me, but she waits just a second too long

Silence is golden 'til it screams
Let the outside air in