Music Documentaries

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

allisonsdc
Site Admin

Re: Music Documentaries

Post by allisonsdc »

Finished watching this 4 hour and 19 minute Tom Petty documentary last night. It is streaming on Netflix, and was well worth the time invested.
I keep it all together for the sake of the kids.

potatoeater

Post by potatoeater »

I don't think anyone posted this one yet. I really enjoyed this doc about Sound City. There is a lot of talk about getting into the 80s and 90s and the digital recording studios outpacing the old analog/tape studios such as Sound City.

From Wikipedia:
Sound City Studios was located in the San Fernando Valley, amidst rows of dilapidated warehouses. The little-known recording studio housed a unique analog Neve recording console and had a reputation for recording drums. Artists such as Nirvana, Kyuss, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Fleetwood Mac, Neil Young, Rick Springfield, Tom Petty, Rage Against The Machine, and Slipknot recorded groundbreaking music at the studio. The film tells the story of the studio from its early days in 1969 until its closing in 2011. It then follows Dave Grohl's purchase of the studio's custom analog Neve console, which he moved to his personal studio, Studio 606. Rupert Neve is an English engineer who founded Neve Electronics in 1961, designed and manufactured the Neve 8028, "one of four in the world",[4] and is interviewed by Grohl in the film.[5] Famous musicians who recorded at Sound City reunite at Studio 606 for a jam session and to make an album of "all-new all-original songs, each one composed and recorded exclusively for the film within its own 24-hour session on that console."
http://buy.soundcitymovie.com/
I'd like to say I'm sorry, I'd like to say I'm sorry, I'd like to say I'm sorry...BUT I AIN'T SORRY!

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

DiamondDave

Post by DiamondDave »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
Well, since I already know the ending.......
"If I'm not smiling, I'm just thinking...."

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
Fucking A.

Patterson is in it briefly.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Kudzu Guillotine

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

WarHenRecords

Post by WarHenRecords »

Just watched this on Netflix the other day and thought it was a great.

This is my label > http://warhenrecords.bandcamp.com/
Label IG > @WarHenRecords

Kudzu Guillotine

WarHenRecords wrote:Just watched this on Netflix the other day and thought it was a great.

I saw it last year at UNC, which was sponsored by the Southern Folklife Collection at Wilson Library on campus. The event was hosted by Joe Boyd, which was originally supposed to be a screening of the Aretha Franklin documentary Amazing Grace. Unfortunately, she wouldn't allow the movie to be shown (it's not the first time). That said, it was cool to get an education in James Booker. Boyd also spoke about his book, White Bicycles, his involvement with the UFO Club in London, Pink Floyd, Nick Drake, etc. Dude was also kind enough to sign my copy of Fables of the Reconstruction. Not a bad evening at all.

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

"the best black, gay, one-eyed junkie piano genius New Orleans has ever produced." - Dr. John
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

211poundsofpork

Post by 211poundsofpork »

Saw this documentary the other night on some channel called AXS? Really impressed with this one and thought it helped fill in the blanks in that period from '74 to '89.

Kudzu Guillotine

Stephen Judge of Schoolkids Records (Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill, NC) is among those interviewed in this new documentary.

Kudzu Guillotine

Fathom Events, ole, Anthem and Zoe are excited to bring Rush | Time Stand Still to movie theatres nationwide for a larger-than-life one night event on Thursday, November 3!

The popularity of a rock band can often be built on the road. That is how Rush did it over their 40-year history. Building a bond with their fans that has carried them through countless gold and platinum albums and, eventually, into the Rock'n Roll Hall of Fame. But ... what happens if this unique, reciprocal relationship between Rush and their devoted fans may be severed?

In 2015, Rush went out for a 40th anniversary tour and it was rumored it may be their last tour of its kind. This might actually be the end of their life on the road. Rush | Time Stand Still is an event which covers the R40 tour and the unique relationship Rush have with their devoted fans.

Exclusive behind-the-scenes access to the band and crew throughout the tour provide the raw and vivid emotional undertones of this one-night event. At the core of the event are Rush's devoted fans. Their undying devotion and their quirky sense of ownership are on full display as the R40 tour comes to a crescendo in Los Angeles.

Personal stories highlight the importance Rush holds in their lives and the lasting impressions of their extensive catalog. For Rush, they are quick to acknowledge the role their fans have played in their success, which makes this tour so difficult.

Candid interviews with Geddy Lee, Alex Lifeson and Neil Peart bring Time Stand Still to an emotional conclusion for a band who built their career the old-fashioned way. One show at a time.

Featuring exclusive extras including Rush | A Salute to Kings - a 20-minute in-depth discussion with Gene Simmons (KISS), Chad Smith (Red Hot Chili Peppers), Taylor Hawkins (Foo Fighters), Ann & Nancy Wilson (Heart), Scott Gorham (Thin Lizzy), and the band's producer Nick Raskulinecz as they share their unique stories about Rush at home and away for over 40 years.

Kudzu Guillotine

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

had been waiting a long time to see this and it was well worth the wait! I vividly recall Orion, pretty sure he played regularly in Asheville at the Nashville Club (a place that died off by the time I came off age but sounded like a place likely with chicken wire and wife-swapping and fighting--a place surely Margo and Harold visited at least once). Excellent film on several levels: the Elvis connection, the southern music industry angle that reminds me a lot of Muscle Shoals, and not the least the story of a talented guy who last his identity trying to live the dream. Highly recommend this movie
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

Kudzu Guillotine

Per this post from filmmaker Gorman Bechard, it looks like Sarah Shook and the Disarmers will be the topic of his next documentary. For those that may be unfamiliar with Gorman, he's made documentaries on Lydia Loveless, Archers of Loaf, the Replacements, Grant Hart, etc. in the past.

Kudzu Guillotine

whatwouldcooleydo?

caught this again flipping around on cable the other night. Really good film

love the way they pronounce the word "massacre"--muh-sock-er

disgruntledgoat

Post by disgruntledgoat »

whatwouldcooleydo?

whatwouldcooleydo?

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

Some Kind Of Monster and Lemmy are both on Netflix now, so i finally saw them.

SKOM was eh... hey, shocking news... lars is a dick!

Lemmy was awesome though. really enjoyed that one. what a human being.

whatwouldcooleydo?

tinnitus photography wrote:Some Kind Of Monster and Lemmy are both on Netflix now, so i finally saw them.

It's been years since I watched SKOM, but my lasting takeaway is that the film made James look like a much bigger tool than Lars, and that takes some doing

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

tinnitus photography wrote:

This.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

211poundsofpork

Post by 211poundsofpork »

My Metallica fandom came to a screeching halt after the s**t show that was the Black album. That said, the only Metallica film I recommend is Cliff 'em All. If any of you were a fan of them in the 80's, I highly recommend this. Great early concert footage as well as hilarious Cliff bits.

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
tinnitus photography wrote:Some Kind Of Monster and Lemmy are both on Netflix now, so i finally saw them.

It's been years since I watched SKOM, but my lasting takeaway is that the film made James look like a much bigger tool than Lars, and that takes some doing

zoid

Post by zoid »

The Cars... Best 80's documentary I've seen i awhile.

Bon Scott's AC/DC

Post by Bon Scott's AC/DC »

[youtube]eSxR35k1SC4&ytbChannel=MyTravelClips[/youtube]

The Story of Jamican Music. Parts 1, 2, 3.
It still amazes me how such a small county of not much more than 2 million could create such the wonderful music forms of ska/rocksteady/reggae, which went so world wide, and is so loved throughout the world. Very few counties so small have created music forms that went truely global.

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

Bon Scott's AC/DC wrote:

The Story of Jamican Music. Parts 1, 2, 3.
It still amazes me how such a small county of not much more than 2 million could create such the wonderful music forms of ska/rocksteady/reggae, which went so world wide, and is so loved throughout the world. Very few counties so small have created music forms that went truely global.
Link didn't work.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa