Music Documentaries

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Rocky

Re: Music Documentaries

Post by Rocky »

dogstar wrote:

I wish the interview with Cindy Wilson was an hour long!
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Rocky wrote:
dogstar wrote:

I wish the interview with Cindy Wilson was an hour long!

I could have done without the Janeway, but Sharon Jones at the piano for Wade In The Water is fantastic.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Totally agree with you Rod. I tend to think Sharon Jones oversings but she was just right on that song.

grapico

Post by grapico »

dime in the gutter wrote:
tinnitus photography wrote:i could never understand why they spent so much footage on Fatso Jetson.

tough to combine black flag, howling wolf, link wray and devo with proper proportions..........unless you are the quadrajets.

This quote was shown to a Quadrajet tonight. He thought it ruled.

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Fred in 2002
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

watched a Rock Doc on Pink Floyd earlier on AXSTV. Kind of bizarre/low budget, especially since they used almost no actual Pink Floyd music in it. There was a bunch of generic, Floyd-ish stuff in the background, but its like they couldn't afford the rights to any of the actual songs
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

jr29

Post by jr29 »

Very Extremely Dangerous...a doc about a guy from Memphis named Jerry McGill. Robert Gordon who has written several books about Memphis music was one of the films producers and very heavily involved in the project.
here's a trailer/promo...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjnMxed4H2E

linkous

Post by linkous »

Part 3 of Reginald D Hunters Songs of the South courtesy of Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4f7iUKCwszE

"In the final part of his road trip, Reginald D Hunter takes a leaf out of Huckleberry Finn with a trip down the Mississippi from Memphis to New Orleans through the Delta to learn about the birth of blues and how it manifests itself today.
In Louisiana Reg takes a detour to a bayou to learn about Creole culture and zydeco before winding up in New Orleans to meet the city's musical triumvirate of Dr John, Allen Toussaint and Irma Thomas.
Also featuring Stax musicians Steve Cropper and Eddie Floyd"

Comprehensive playlist of all three episodes via Spotify or Deezer

http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/playlists/zzzzf2

TW_2.0

Post by TW_2.0 »

Anyone watch the Cobain doc on HBO last night ? Thoughts ?

I have read some good things, excited to see it when I have some time.
I can't dance a lick but sometimes I can flat rock and roll

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

TW_2.0 wrote:Anyone watch the Cobain doc on HBO last night ? Thoughts ?

I flipped back and forth to it. Lots of personal video and diary entries. Very intimate. I liked what I saw
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Flea

Post by Flea »

Recorded it for time shifting.
Now it's dark.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

has anyone seen this one?

http://www.orionthemovie.com/

I am dying to but no way it will ever come to Chico, so it will have to be Netflix or something of that ilk. I remember Orion vividly, he played around Asheville a lot when he was on his roll but I was too young to see the majesty
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

dbtfan4life

Post by dbtfan4life »

Zip City wrote:

I flipped back and forth to it. Lots of personal video and diary entries. Very intimate. I liked what I saw
very good and very sad...great documentary though

whatwouldcooleydo?

watched it last night, very good.

Vincent

Post by Vincent »

Stumbled onto the VH1 Zevon doc on youtube. 45 minutes you will not regret watching.
Dave

RMD

Post by RMD »

The Ginger Baker doc "Beware Of Mr. Baker" is the best doc I have seen in awhile. Ginger is bat shit crazy. :lol:

Barely_Oakely

Post by Barely_Oakely »

Last night on the train ride home a overheard a college age kid describe some Rush documentary as the one movie he would choose if he could only choose 1 to bring to a deserted island. No offense Rush fans, but I have a hard time believing that anything about Rush could be that good. Does it exist?
"Allman Brother's up and windows down." LB3

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

A Poem Is A Naked Person (1974/2015)
Originally a work for hire by Leon Russell, A Poem Is A Naked Person was filmed by Les Blank during 1972-74, while living at the Russell/Shelter records recording studio compound on Grand Lake Of The Cherokees in NE Oklahoma. It is feature-length, with appearances by Willie Nelson, George Jones and some amazing characters in Oklahoma, where much of it was shot. At least two major critics have declared it the best film ever made on Rock and Roll.

This film was never released, and has rarely been shown in public except at non profit institutions with Blank in attendance. After Les Blank’s death in 2013, his son Harrod Blank came to terms with Leon Russell to re-master and release the film. Criterion and Janus Films will be distributing the film in North America. We will be offering the DVD/Blu Ray as soon as it becomes available.

Kudzu Guillotine

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
A Poem Is A Naked Person (1974/2015)
Originally a work for hire by Leon Russell, A Poem Is A Naked Person was filmed by Les Blank during 1972-74, while living at the Russell/Shelter records recording studio compound on Grand Lake Of The Cherokees in NE Oklahoma. It is feature-length, with appearances by Willie Nelson, George Jones and some amazing characters in Oklahoma, where much of it was shot. At least two major critics have declared it the best film ever made on Rock and Roll.

This film was never released, and has rarely been shown in public except at non profit institutions with Blank in attendance. After Les Blank’s death in 2013, his son Harrod Blank came to terms with Leon Russell to re-master and release the film. Criterion and Janus Films will be distributing the film in North America. We will be offering the DVD/Blu Ray as soon as it becomes available.
A review of the movie from The New York Times. For those interested in screenings in your area, you can find a listing of them here.

Review: ‘A Poem Is a Naked Person’ Is a Jam Session
of a Documentary

The musician Leon Russell in “A Poem Is a Naked Person,” an early-1970s documentary by Les Blank
that is receiving a United States theatrical release.

Credit Janus Films

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Haven't seen it but the new Amy Winehouse documentary supposedly kicks all kinds of ass.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

just got my Decline of Western Civilizaton box in today... 8-)

Kudzu Guillotine

beantownbubba wrote:Haven't seen it but the new Amy Winehouse documentary supposedly kicks all kinds of ass.
Haven't seen it either but I'm hearing the same thing. In all honesty, I was never a fan but that doesn't mean I wouldn't watch the movie.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:Haven't seen it but the new Amy Winehouse documentary supposedly kicks all kinds of ass.
Haven't seen it either but I'm hearing the same thing. In all honesty, I was never a fan but that doesn't mean I wouldn't watch the movie.

I am a fairly big fan; I believe I first heard of her from a tweet by Jason Isbell. Such a sad story, and the attitude and jokes that came out right after her death bothered me in a serious way. I can't wait to watch this.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

Lincoln Center will have their annual Sound + Vision series from July 29 through August 7. There are many films of interest including Heartworn Highways and Heartworn Highways Revisited with producer Graham Leader in attendance as well as a Julien Temple retro.

http://www.filmlinc.com/films/series/sound-vision-2015
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

linkous

Post by linkous »

Courtesy of Aquarium Drunkard

http://www.aquariumdrunkard.com/2015/07 ... more-44801

When I was 11 years old T - Rex were the first band I got into, I was nuts about them and bought everything going. Still play Electric Warrior and The Greatest Hits albums.
As a big fan of the blues now, I was totally oblivious to the fact that back then Bolan was just re-channeling loads of old blues riffs and glamming them up, albeit brilliantly..

Kudzu Guillotine

whatwouldcooleydo?

Smitty wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:

I am a fairly big fan; I believe I first heard of her from a tweet by Jason Isbell. Such a sad story, and the attitude and jokes that came out right after her death bothered me in a serious way. I can't wait to watch this.
My wife and I were in Europe summer of 2011, doing Black Crowes tour. We AirbNBed an apt in Edinburgh on Leith St for 8 days and were living it up. One day we came out of the door of our building and saw this on the newstand, "Our Amy dead." As I remember it, it was the day after the mass shooting in Norway. We had traveled from Brussels to Edinburgh the day of the Norway massacre and then the next day woke up to Amy's death. I recall being asked at the train station in London (in transit from Brussels to Edinburgh) if we had been in Norway.

Kudzu Guillotine

Five-Eight: WEIRDO REBORN documentary
This is the story of the band Five-Eight, from Athens, Georgia. Twenty-one years ago, they made a great record called WEIRDO, but what was released to stores was sonically damaged by record company meddling. In 2015, Five-Eight went back to WEIRDO and made things right. This is a story about mental illness and passion and friendship and sticking to your guns for the love of music.

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

^^^^ Thanks kudzu. That was cool as shit.