Music Documentaries

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

RevMatt

Re: Music Documentaries

Post by RevMatt »

My son and I caught the new Stones concert film last night from the 1978 tour. Although technically it is not a documentary, the film kicks ass. The concert footage and the performances put it right up in the same categoty as Gimme Shelter and Ladies and Gentlemen, The Rolling Stones. Total badass Stones attitude. Keef and Ronnie are on fire.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

brstigerfan

Post by brstigerfan »

This was great. Showing on HBO and HBO on demand now.

scotto

Post by scotto »

Any of you guys Fishbone fans? One of my favorites back in the '80s and some of the most high-octane shows I ever witnessed. New documentary out; probably at some snooty art house cinema near you now:

http://www.fishbonedocumentary.com/

More fun from Boing Boing: http://boingboing.net/2011/10/18/gweek-022-the-fishbone-documentary.html

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Kenny Roby (formerly of Six String Drag) usually does a Magnetic Fields cover (one of which is "The Book of Love") in his sets and recently recommended this documentary about Stephin Merritt called Strange Powers.

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

hail, hail rock and roll.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Saw Pearl Jam 20 last night. I've got a friend who's really into PJ, travels all over to see them, etc. Last night we watched the 20 dvd at my house, next week we'll watch Secret to a Happy Ending at his. I thought 20 was pretty good. The most amazing thing is that Cameron Crowe took so much footage of all the Seattle bands (interviews and live shows) back in the 80's when nobody knew these guys outside of the city. The film does a good job capturing the late 80's Seattle scene and PJ's first couple of years, which covers about half the movie. The second half of the movie, which covers the mid-90's to the present, drags a bit. Some great concert footage though. What got me was the "bigness" of it all. Big crowds, big arenas, big records, big songs, big rock stars (only Vedder, really). Such a contrast to DBT.
If you don't run you rust

dee dee

Post by dee dee »

Really interesting look at the music and lives of R.L. Burnside, Junior Kimbrough, and T-Model Ford. I'm not saying I lead a privileged life growing up in Iowa, but it was kind of eye opening seeing how these guys - whose music I found about way too late and really grew to enjoy - and how they live.

dime in the gutter

Clams wrote:Saw Pearl Jam 20 last night. I've got a friend who's really into PJ, travels all over to see them, etc. Last night we watched the 20 dvd at my house, next week we'll watch Secret to a Happy Ending at his. I thought 20 was pretty good. The most amazing thing is that Cameron Crowe took so much footage of all the Seattle bands (interviews and live shows) back in the 80's when nobody knew these guys outside of the city. The film does a good job capturing the late 80's Seattle scene and PJ's first couple of years, which covers about half the movie. The second half of the movie, which covers the mid-90's to the present, drags a bit. Some great concert footage though. What got me was the "bigness" of it all. Big crowds, big arenas, big records, big songs, big rock stars (only Vedder, really). Such a contrast to DBT.

caught that a few weeks ago. not sure whether it confirmed my mehness toward them or if my mehness made me dislike the film. couldn't get thru it. they and it seem so contrived, but are really good at pulling it off.

been watching the evolution of heavy metal on vh1. it is outstanding. and i don't even like metal muchly.

dime in the gutter

very cool. surprised me. was expecting black panther rock and roll (which would have been rad enough in it's own right) but these dudes came from a whole nother place.

paulc

Post by paulc »

Dr Feelgood's Oil City Confidential is one of my favourites. Especially poignant given Wilko Johnson's health.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CZMLs8Ke40

PS. how do you embed a youtube vid?

Kudzu Guillotine

paulc wrote:Dr Feelgood's Oil City Confidential is one of my favourites. Especially poignant given Wilko Johnson's health.

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CZMLs8Ke40[/url]

PS. how do you embed a youtube vid?

Wrap everything past the equals sign in the YouTube tag. Or you can quote this post and see what I did.

brstigerfan

Post by brstigerfan »

this is pretty good and on Netflix right now.

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

dee dee wrote:Image

Really interesting look at the music and lives of R.L. Burnside, Junior Kimbrough, and T-Model Ford. I'm not saying I lead a privileged life growing up in Iowa, but it was kind of eye opening seeing how these guys - whose music I found about way too late and really grew to enjoy - and how they live.

That looks excellent, dee dee. Is it available on Netflix?
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

Kudzu Guillotine

I probably never would have watched this if not for a conversation I recently had with friends about bands we all like despite how unpopular or uncool they may be. One of my friends said they had just bought tickets to see Journey and highly recommended this documentary. I'd heard about it and was familiar with the story of Neal Schon finding a new singer for Journey via YouTube but like Journey or not, I consider the documentary a must see. I'm not much of a Journey fan but I found the movie very inspiring on several levels. Perhaps what struck me most is how Arnel Pineda was living in poverty before being discovered by Schon and by joining Journey, he helped to propel them to popularity on an international level. A level of success they hadn't enjoyed before. That, and the motherfucker can sing his ass off.

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

I watched this on YouTube last night. It's excellent and I highly recommend it. Celtic Frost is one of the seminal metal bands and this followed the tour for their album Monotheist as well as going through the band's history with interviews & archival footage.

The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Watched this on Netflix the other day. Solid film about a guy I assume most of us thoroughly enjoy.

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

brstigerfan wrote:this is pretty good and on Netflix right now.

Of course I had never heard of this band but now I'm interested. Thanks for the suggestion.
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

Gang Green

Post by Gang Green »

Rocky wrote:
brstigerfan wrote:this is pretty good and on Netflix right now.

Of course I had never heard of this band but now I'm interested. Thanks for the suggestion.

I thoroughly enjoyed this, thanks for the recommendations. Their laughing alone is reason enought to watch this.

StormandStatic

Post by StormandStatic »

Instrument will probably always be one of my favorite movies. It lacks talking heads and narrative and replaces them with impressionistic collages, montages, and some of the rawest live footage ever recorded. Case in point:

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

Iowan wrote:Image

Watched this on Netflix the other day. Solid film about a guy I assume most of us thoroughly enjoy.

Watched it a couple of days ago. Excellent!
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

Kudzu Guillotine

From the same folks that brought you Athens, GA Inside/Out:

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

I still need to see that Death documentary. Bill, thanks for the heads up on the Tom Warrior one.

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

tinnitus photography wrote:Bill, thanks for the heads up on the Tom Warrior one.

You're welcome. It's very interesting. I am kicking myself that I never saw Celtic Frost. At least I still have the chance to see Triptykon.
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

njMark

Post by njMark »

Anyone seen Mistaken for Strangers? I love the National and I hear its being released in theatres soon
I haven't really seen many music docs, obviously TSTAHE but the only other I can recall is "Do You Remember" about the Bouncing Souls. They formed in New Brunswick in 87 and were the first band I ever saw live, I believe for a donation or a can of food in a basement in NB. They've gone on to mainstream success but I say they are responsible for making me a live music fan.

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

Bill in CT wrote:
tinnitus photography wrote:Bill, thanks for the heads up on the Tom Warrior one.

You're welcome. It's very interesting. I am kicking myself that I never saw Celtic Frost. At least I still have the chance to see Triptykon.

i saw Triptykon a few years ago when they toured w/ 1349. good show.

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

I saw this one last night. I think you'd really like it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWyUJcA8Zfo

Barely_Oakely

Post by Barely_Oakely »

Probably shouldn't be watching this at work, but I do love me some rock-a-billy...
"Allman Brother's up and windows down." LB3

TW_2.0

Post by TW_2.0 »

Heartworn Highways Revisited ?

Trailer here: http://heartwornhighways.com/
I can't dance a lick but sometimes I can flat rock and roll

Kudzu Guillotine

TW_2.0 wrote:Heartworn Highways Revisited ?

Trailer here: http://heartwornhighways.com/

Thanks for posting, that looks very promising. Though I'm sure we could all come up with a long list of folks we'd like to see in the 2014 edition in addition to catching up with Guy, David Allan Coe, Steve Young, etc.

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

John McCauley looks burnt. I can't believe David Allen Coe is still alive. He's probably surprised too.