Music Documentaries

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Kudzu Guillotine

Re: Music Documentaries

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Looking forward to seeing this new documentary on Johnny Winter that premiered at SXSW last month but according to this article there's no release date for Blu-Ray/DVD at present.

allisonsdc
Site Admin

Post by allisonsdc »

Rocky wrote:I saw this one last night. I think you'd really like it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWyUJcA8Zfo

I watched this last night and thought it was fantastic. Interesting interviews with Mick Jagger, Sting, Bruce Springsteen, etc. There's also a segment where they interview the background singers on "Sweet Home Alabama" about their initial reaction to being asked to add vocals to a Lynyrd Skynyrd album in Alabama. Some cool live footage too. Great documentary.
I keep it all together for the sake of the kids.

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

^^^^agree. Very good.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

as if you didn't have enough reasons to hate Phil Spector:

cannot stress enough how good this was..

In my blood, there's gasoline..

RolanK

Post by RolanK »

Penny Lane wrote:as if you didn't have enough reasons to hate Phil Spector:

But that little sequence on the recording of Gimme Shelter backing vocals is worth the whole movie...
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

allisonsdc
Site Admin

Post by allisonsdc »

RolanK wrote:

But that little sequence on the recording of Gimme Shelter backing vocals is worth the whole movie...

Yes, indeed! I love how they isolated that vocal track. I listened to Gimme Shelter about five times this morning as a direct result of watching that movie.

And yes, Phil Spector is a dick.
I keep it all together for the sake of the kids.

RolanK

Post by RolanK »

allisonsdc wrote:
RolanK wrote:

Yes, indeed! I love how they isolated that vocal track. I listened to Gimme Shelter about five times this morning as a direct result of watching that movie.

And yes, Phil Spector is a dick.

I think it's my favorite Stones tune. You can hear Mick's spontaneous outburst of joy/excitement after she breaks up on the high note (@ approx 3:02), even in the full track if you listen carefully.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

Kudzu Guillotine

It's probably been mentioned here before (and was something I didn't learn until just a few years ago) but it's worth noting that Merry Clayton (who sings on "Gimme Shelter" and "Sweet Home Alabama") is the sister of Sam Clayton of Little Feat. I loved both Twenty Feet From Stardom and Muscle Shoals, especially the treatment Lynyrd Skynyrd was given. They deserve it.
Last edited by Kudzu Guillotine on Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:It's probably been mentioned here before (and was something I didn't learn until just a few years ago) but it's worth nothing that Merry Clayton (who sings on "Gimme Shelter" and "Sweet Home Alabama") is the sister of Sam Clayton of Little Feat.

I did not know that.
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

linkous

Post by linkous »

Showing on BBC4 tonight. Jimi Hendrix - Hear My Train A Comin'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03gln7r

Watched this when it was shown last winter, and will watch again, the BBC do great music docs. Not a big fan of Hendrix, too much guitar wankery for my tastes (but I do appreciate I am out on a limb here, and I can fully understand why others love his music so much), and this doc is a great insight to the man and what was going on at the time.

Kudzu Guillotine

Out on DVD tomorrow.

emandrisdad

Post by emandrisdad »

All The Labor is available for streaming free for Amazon prime members.

Kudzu Guillotine

Trailer for the upcoming Seeds documentary which premieres at the Egyptian in L.A. on August 16th.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:Trailer for the upcoming Seeds documentary which premieres at the Egyptian in L.A. on August 16th.

Does it go into Sky Saxon's Hawaiian years? I once saw the record he put out then in a collection that wasn't worthy of it and restrained myself from rescuing it. Barely.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Kudzu Guillotine

John A Arkansawyer wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:Trailer for the upcoming Seeds documentary which premieres at the Egyptian in L.A. on August 16th.

Does it go into Sky Saxon's Hawaiian years? I once saw the record he put out then in a collection that wasn't worthy of it and restrained myself from rescuing it. Barely.

It's mentioned briefly in the trailer but I don't know much about the film beyond that and admittedly, The Seeds themselves. I mainly know them from the Nuggets comp. The About section of the YouTube clip directs you to this site but there's not much more about the film there other than the premiere date.

Hud

Post by Hud »

Rocky wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:It's probably been mentioned here before (and was something I didn't learn until just a few years ago) but it's worth nothing that Merry Clayton (who sings on "Gimme Shelter" and "Sweet Home Alabama") is the sister of Sam Clayton of Little Feat.

I did not know that.

X2

cool fact, thanks for sharing KG

or maybe I did know, how much useless knowledge can I retain? I'll never know :D
I've seen my future and I'm scared to close my eyes

Kudzu Guillotine

Hud wrote:
Rocky wrote:

I did not know that.

X2

cool fact, thanks for sharing KG

or maybe I did know, how much useless knowledge can I retain? I'll never know :D

I'm the same way. I may have been told years ago but forgot. Still, cool to know. I still need to pick up some Merry Clayton records.

Kudzu Guillotine

I missed out on the Vulgar Boatmen but do remember Janas Hoyt from the Mary Janes (not to be confused with the Rick James' back up group).

Kudzu Guillotine

Kudzu Guillotine

Kudzu Guillotine

I never even knew what Northern Soul was until the past couple years when I went in search of Southern Soul and Country Soul records thanks to a friend that hosts a radio program called Dirty Laundry on WCOM in Carrboro, NC which is based on a couple compilations of Country Soul by the same name. This led me to Offbeat Records in Durham where he purchases a lot of music for his show. Though I haven't purchased any of these yet, the owner of the store introduced me to some of these compilations on Kent Records (neither of which are Northern Soul, btw though that is something Kent Records specializes in). They have an entire section devoted completely to Northern Soul and Kent Records compilations.

ImageImage

Kudzu Guillotine

New Carter Family documentary, learn more about it here.

Kudzu Guillotine

I can't wait to see this.

Flea

Post by Flea »

Now it's dark.

Kudzu Guillotine

Official trailer for the Music Box Films release of "Revenge of the Mekons." The documentary makes its NYC theatrical premiere on Oct. 29, 2014 at Film Forum, with other cites to follow. For more information, go to www.facebook.com/revengeofthemekons and www.mekonsmovie.com. #mekonsmovie

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

this is out now... no screenings near me, but i'm sure it will be on DVD at some point.

Kudzu Guillotine

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

Kudzu Guillotine

Nick Drake documentary

Kudzu Guillotine

Apparently, this documentary originally aired in four parts on the BBC. I've only been able to find two of them.