Music Documentaries

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Flea

Re: Music Documentaries

Post by Flea »

Now it's dark.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Kudzu Guillotine

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:

There's a nice Patterson solo version of Angels and Fuselage late in this one.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

Kudzu Guillotine

LBRod wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:

There's a nice Patterson solo version of Angels and Fuselage late in this one.

If I remember right, there was a segment done on the Truckers for this doc that ended up on the cutting room floor. I'm sure Jenn could elaborate.

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

full movie on the utubes.

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

that one is great but i could never understand why they spent so much footage on Fatso Jetson.

then i listened the WTF podcast w/ Homme, and apparently the dude started up that whole scene. still, his music sucks.

dime in the gutter

tinnitus photography wrote:i could never understand why they spent so much footage on Fatso Jetson.

tough to combine black flag, howling wolf, link wray and devo with proper proportions..........unless you are the quadrajets.

one highlight worth mentioning.......screenshot of the lyrics for dopesmoker.

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

Dead Meadow was a bit of an oddball inclusion, but i like that band.

dime in the gutter

tinnitus photography wrote:Dead Meadow was a bit of an oddball inclusion, but i like that band.

been spinning them since watching the flick. outstanding.

currently awash in shivering kings.

TW_2.0

Post by TW_2.0 »

tinnitus photography wrote:that one is great but i could never understand why they spent so much footage on Fatso Jetson.

then i listened the WTF podcast w/ Homme, and apparently the dude started up that whole scene. still, his music sucks.

This that Mario cat responsible for the generator parties ?
I can't dance a lick but sometimes I can flat rock and roll

dee dee

Post by dee dee »

Guy Clark documentary "Without Getting Caught or Killed" on the way

http://www.savingcountrymusic.com/guy-clark-without-getting-killed-or-caught-documentary-on-the-way

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Absolutely fantastic. Lots of coverage of the Alice Cooper Band era.
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

Kudzu Guillotine

This trailer is from 2012 but it looks like the movie is due for release in 2015.

lajakesdad

Post by lajakesdad »

Loved this one. Anyone else see it?

dbtfan4life

Post by dbtfan4life »

If I remember right, there was a segment done on the Truckers for this doc that ended up on the cutting room floor. I'm sure Jenn could elaborate.[/quote]

Damn that sucks. I remember watching that one when it was brand new

emandrisdad

Post by emandrisdad »

lajakesdad wrote:Image

Loved this one. Anyone else see it?

I just saw it. I didn't even know about it until your post. I enjoyed the hell out of it.

linkous

Post by linkous »

BBC4 have a music documentary on every week. I make a point of watching them all even if I don't like the band or artist. This week it was Meat Loaf. It was predictably dreadful, and I spontaneously laughed out loud several times. I don't think I was supposed to.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Watched the doc about the recording of the "Lost Basement Tapes". I always find it fascinating to see the recording process of any album
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Zip City wrote:Watched the doc about the recording of the "Lost Basement Tapes". I always find it fascinating to see the recording process of any album

Saw that too. What a hilarious clusterfuck that project is. Let's try to evoke the spirit of the basement tapes by inviting a bunch of ringers and session hacks (and Johnny Fucking Depp, for some reason!) to endlessly fuss over mediocre material in a million dollar studio, while filming every second to ensure maximum self-awareness and self-consciousness. You couldn't make a less fitting tribute to the basement tapes if you tried. The Mumford dude (the only one who seemed to know anything about the original BTs) nailed it when he said he didn't think the two projects had anything in common.
ain't no static on the gospel radio

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Duke Silver wrote:
Zip City wrote:Watched the doc about the recording of the "Lost Basement Tapes". I always find it fascinating to see the recording process of any album

Saw that too. What a hilarious clusterfuck that project is. Let's try to evoke the spirit of the basement tapes by inviting a bunch of ringers and session hacks (and Johnny Fucking Depp, for some reason!) to endlessly fuss over mediocre material in a million dollar studio, while filming every second to ensure maximum self-awareness and self-consciousness. You couldn't make a less fitting tribute to the basement tapes if you tried. The Mumford dude (the only one who seemed to know anything about the original BTs) nailed it when he said he didn't think the two projects had anything in common.

I just removed the BT connection completely from my mind and it made it a much more enjoyable experience
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Zip City wrote:
Duke Silver wrote:

I just removed the BT connection completely from my mind and it made it a much more enjoyable experience

Yeah, they should've just dropped BT from the name and pitched it purely as a Mermaid Avenue type thing. Calling it "The New Basement Tapes" encourages a very specific set of expectations.

Kudzu Guillotine

New documentary about Marah.

Kudzu Guillotine

Don't think I knew this even existed.

linkous

Post by linkous »

The BBC are currently 2/3 of the way through showing three documentaries called Songs of The South, about the music of the southern states of the USA. Presented by Reginald D Hunter, a comedian from Georgia who has been based in the UK for quite a while now. No idea if he is known at all in the US, but although he is not mainstream over here he is fairly well known from various UK TV shows.

Here is a link to the shows website

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02j93lq

And a link to the 2nd episode about Alabama and Georgia, no DBT but includes interviews with REM, Pattersons dad, a feature about FAME studios and interview with Rich Hall amongst others.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02j952b

"Alabama and Georgia
Reginald D Hunter's Songs of the South

In the second of a three-part road trip, Georgia-born but London-based Reginald D Hunter heads home to explore the interplay between gospel, soul and hip hop. Passing through Alabama, Reg witnesses a Lynryrd Skynyrd gig and discovers the soul riches of the town of Muscle Shoals.

Arriving in Georgia, Reg visits the Athens of the B52s and REM, as well as Martin Luther King's and Ludacris's Atlanta.

Featuring Arrested Development, St Paul & The Broken Bones, Clarence Carter and Sharon Jones."

Next week is Mississippi and Louisiana

Unless things have changed I think only UK based people can watch the video posted above, but I could be wrong. So far it doesn't seem to have made it's way on to Youtube but if you get a chance it's a really great watch.

dogstar

Post by dogstar »

linkous wrote:The BBC are currently 2/3 of the way through showing three documentaries called Songs of The South, about the music of the southern states of the USA. Presented by Reginald D Hunter, a comedian from Georgia who has been based in the UK for quite a while now. No idea if he is known at all in the US, but although he is not mainstream over here he is fairly well known from various UK TV shows.

And a link to the 2nd episode about Alabama and Georgia, no DBT but includes interviews with REM, Pattersons dad, a feature about FAME studios and interview with Rich Hall amongst others.

"Alabama and Georgia

In the second of a three-part road trip, Georgia-born but London-based Reginald D Hunter heads home to explore the interplay between gospel, soul and hip hop. Passing through Alabama, Reg witnesses a Lynryrd Skynyrd gig and discovers the soul riches of the town of Muscle Shoals.

Arriving in Georgia, Reg visits the Athens of the B52s and REM, as well as Martin Luther King's and Ludacris's Atlanta.

Featuring Arrested Development, St Paul & The Broken Bones, Clarence Carter and Sharon Jones."

Unless things have changed I think only UK based people can watch the video posted above, but I could be wrong. So far it doesn't seem to have made it's way on to Youtube but if you get a chance it's a really great watch.

Episode 2 on youtube

"Guitars talk. If you really want to write a song, ask a guitar." Neil Young

linkous

Post by linkous »

dogstar wrote:
linkous wrote:The BBC are currently 2/3 of the way through showing three documentaries called Songs of The South, about the music of the southern states of the USA. Presented by Reginald D Hunter, a comedian from Georgia who has been based in the UK for quite a while now. No idea if he is known at all in the US, but although he is not mainstream over here he is fairly well known from various UK TV shows.

"Alabama and Georgia

Episode 2 on youtube

Well spotted Dogstar. I must need an eye test cos as I said in my post I couldn't see it on Youtube.
Any non Brits are in for a treat then now that they can watch this.

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

I don't want to turn this into the MMJ bitching thread, but I will just say that "Big Decisions" does not give me much hope that they've reversed the trend. Bland, bland, bland.

Kudzu Guillotine

Duke Silver wrote:I don't want to turn this into the MMJ bitching thread, but I will just say that "Big Decisions" does not give me much hope that they've reversed the trend. Bland, bland, bland.

I think you may have the wrong thread. I believe all the MMJ discussion is taking place in the 2015 Album Releases thread.

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Doh!