Danny & The Champions of the World

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

TruckerTomer

Danny & The Champions of the World

Post by TruckerTomer »

I saw they will open for DBT in England all 4 shows. Anyone know them? From samples I've heard they sound nice. Folkish thing going on that I like. I might buy one of their two albums. Anyone know more details about them? I know Neal Casal from The Cardinals was with them (still is? I be happy to see him live).
"I used to hate the fool in me, but only in the morning. Now I tolerate him all day long"

shuffle

Re: Danny & The Champions of the World

Post by shuffle »

Their latest (only?) album from earlier this year is really good. I'd be happy to see them live, but I doubt they're coming along to Sweden too.
http://twitter.com/birdsneedfeet
http://www.birdsneedfeet.com/

hungoverdrawn

Re: Danny & The Champions of the World

Post by hungoverdrawn »

Belatedly...

Two albums under that name - last year's 'Streets Of Our Time' and an eponymous record in 2008. Before that Danny released a solo album (as Danny George Wilson) called The Famous Mad Mile. All are on Spotify, if that works where you are, and all are worth checking out. The only other time I've seen them play live, the Champions were present and correct, with guitar, banjo, pedal steel and fiddle - so the solo acoustic performance doesn't necessarily give you a fully-rounded impression of what the records are like, but if you liked the songs then that's a good start. :)

I first came across Danny in 1997 in Grand Drive (with his brother Julian and best mate Ed Balch). Though I'm not sure they'd thank me for saying so, if you like alt. country/Americana music then you ought to find much to love in their back catalogue. They were on RCA Victor for a time, but it didn't work out; currently on hiatus.

All best

Robert
I got 350 heads on a 305 engine, I get 10 miles to the gallon, I ain't got no good intentions.