concert meme flying about facebook...

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

tinnitus photography

concert meme flying about facebook...

Post by tinnitus photography »

figured I spent a decent amount of time on my answer and decided to get the ball rolling here:

Since all the cool kids are doing it, it's time for the quasi-cool kids to join in.

First Concert — The Outlaws w/ Molly Hatchet, Spfld Civic Center, 1978. Might have been the first time i smelled weed.

Last Concert — Wilco's closing set at the glorious Sky Blue Sky. Read all about it at the Big Takeover Magazine online.

Best Concert — impossible to answer. might as well ask me what my best cookie was, or best night's sleep.

Worst Concert
— this is a tough one since I generally only see bands I am interested in and even if it's an off night, there is still some merit to the performance. I even enjoyed last year's Boston Calling to some extent, which is saying something. But when push comes to shove, I can't punt on two questions in a row, so I'll say the Six Organs/Major Stars show. I know what you are saying... those bands kick ass on a routine basis, and they did that night too, but for whatever reason some horrid band called Bound Stems got added to the bill, sandwiched between them, and they were so awful i sat outside on the sidewalk for all but 2 minutes of their set. Then i went back in and had Ben Chasny melt my brain.

Loudest Concert — hard to believe that seeing Boris, Dinosaur Jr, The Who, Melvins, Motorhead, Mogwai, Sleep, etc is not gonna have one of them as the answer but the noise holocaust section of MBV's "I Made You Realise" at ATP 2008 actually made my eyes shake. I still have a memory of Heather Marie Dowling (before i knew her) dancing to that part, which still cracks me up.

Seen The Most — after this weekend, Wilco regains the crown from Sleep.

Next Concert
— The Brothers Unconnected in LA! Cannot wait. Talk about some righteous people; it's been too long since I have seen Alan and Richard.

Most Fun Concert — again another tough one, but I'll say that the Mark Burgess (Chameleons) show at some shithole bar in Faneuil Hall would be tough to beat. It was so improbable that it happened, and i give Roger Lavallee huge kudos for assembling a backing band at the last minute. Everyone was having so much fun and then Marty Willson-Piper strolls in towards the end, just in time to join the band for a cover of "Splitting In Two." Totally unforgettable gig.

Wish You Could See — Pink Floyd at the UFO club, Stooges/Sun Ra in the early 70s, The Clean during their first stint, Sabbath during the early 70s, PJ Harvey on the Dry tour, again - so many answers that are 100% correct.

Regret Not Seeing — Wipers, Savage Republic, Black Flag, Silkworm, Killdozer, the list goes on. I blame Brown University having a shitty commercial FM station that stunted my musical growth until i graduated and moved to Boston, discovered Forced Exposure, The Big Takeover, etc and so many new horizons were opened. Big props to both Conrad and Bob for turning me on to so many great records when i shopped at In Your Ear. But I guess the real answer is not seeing the short lived Chameleons reunion in 2002 when they played The Middle East.

I will do a twist and add my own question/answer, in case anyone wants to copy and paste and fill in their own answers (pls tag me if you do, so i can see your responses)

Gig you feel fortunate to see - again i have seen some amazing, unique performances and that's why we go to shows, right? The dumbing down of the concert scene, esp at the larger venues run by Live Nation where everything is a carbon copy from night to night, city to city, is a real drag. But for this question, I'll say seeing Robyn Hitchcock at TT's, in 1989 i think. Setlist.fm doesn't have the date but it was definitely on the Queen Elvis tour, and I saw him the night before at Berklee. As he ended the show, he mentioned that they would be playing an unannounced show the next night at TT's. As it was a Sunday, I guess people who had the word didn't make it for night #2, but I certainly did and he played a ton of old RH and Soft Boys songs... at that point I was just getting into him via the stuff I'd read about him in The Big Takeover and Trouser Press guide, and Gotta Let This Hen Out was my gateway drug... also around this time, the Soft Boys records were getting reissued on CD, so I had a pretty good grasp of the material. He also played a sublimely beautiful cover of "Across The Universe" and so yes, dear readers, that's my answer. At least today.

Sterling Bigmouth

Re: concert meme flying about facebook...

Post by Sterling Bigmouth »

First Concert — Foghat in Alabama, 2009. We were spending a weekend at the beach, they were playing a free show down the road. It was terrible (I mean, it’s a free Foghat concert in 2009), but it was a good enough time for 16 year old me to start going to more shows.

Last Concert — Kelsey Waldon at a small bar in Knoxville. Was as excellent as I expected.

Best Concert — Can’t narrow it down to just one, but I’ll say Sturgill Simpson in Chattanooga in 2016, Night 3 of DBT HC 2018, or Jason Isbell at the Ryman last year.

Worst Concert — Ludacris in Murfreesboro, 2017. I could’ve seen this one coming, but my brother had an extra ticket from his college, and there wasn’t much else to do other than go see a rapper I loved in elementary school. To this day I can’t believe MTSU paid him (reportedly) $50k to show up and put in the least amount of effort imaginable.

Loudest Concert — I’m not sure if it was even THAT loud or not, but I was on stage watching The Orwells at Bonnaroo 2017, and I remember my ears ringing for hours after that one.

Seen The Most — DBT, and the gap between them and second place is about to get much wider this spring.

Next Concert — Tyler Childers/Marty Stuart & his Fabulous Superlatives at the Ryman. Last time Childers was at the Ryman he brought the house down, and that was as the opening act.

Most Fun Concert — Another tough one to narrow down, but Bonnaroo 2017 was the last year they did the Bluegrass Superjam, which are always awesome because you get to see a ton of people play together who typically wouldn’t, and there’s always plenty of room to move around while everyone else is at bigger shows. The highlights were a Mandolin Orange mini-set, Greensky Bluegrass KILLING Atlantic City, and the constant presence of smoke clouds under the tent.

Wish You Could See — Getting to see someone like Dylan or Neil Young in their primes obviously, seeing I wasn’t even born yet, but a more recent answer would be Jason-era DBT, or even just one show with him now, to say I did it.

Regret Not Seeing — Dylan back when I was in college at UT, Blank Range’s last album release show (they went on indefinite hiatus the next week), and somehow I miss Colter Wall every single time he’s playing around me.

Gig you feel fortunate to see - Each time I’ve seen John Prine. The man is a national treasure in so many different ways, and I’m terrified of a world without him.
Turn it up to 10 and rip off the knob

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

First Concert — This is a tough one to pin down. State College, PA had (and still has) an Arts Festival every July that includes several stages with music. I remember seeing The Dead Milkmen there in the late 80's. I think my first "proper" concert was Living Colour in '90 or '91

Last Concert — Wilco at the Palace Theatre

Best Concert — Nearly impossible question. I saw Pink Floyd on the Pulse tour in '93. Two night run of MMJ a few years back was amazing. Radiohead on the In Rainbows tour is in the running as well

Worst Concert — This is a weird one, but....Jan & Dean at Bland's Park (now DelGrosso's Park) somewhere in central PA. It's a small amusement park that will bring in long past their prime bands for free concerts. Jan was in a car wreck in 1966 and suffered severe brain injuries. Sadly, he has mobility issues, slurs his speech, and simply can't sing at all. And yet, they still brought him out there 20+ years later. Dean's guitar wasn't plugged in. It was a band of twenty-something session musicians playing all the music (and singing most of the songs), with Dean pantomiming guitar, and Jan doing exactly what a 45 year old with brain damage might do. It was depressing and awful.

Loudest Concert — Dinosaur Jr., hands down. I saw them at Lollapalooza '93 and suffered through it, but they headlined the second night of Nelsonville Music Festival a few years back and I left after about 4 songs. Even with ear plugs, it was unbearable.

Seen The Most — Either Reverend Horton Heat or Ralph Covert/The Bad Examples (I stopped counting on both after 20 concerts)

Next Concert — Nothing in the hopper at the moment, though there are shows coming up in town from Trampled By Turtles and Band of Horses

Most Fun Concert — Too many to count. Nelsonville Music Festival was a total blast the year I went (Jason Isbell, Avett Brothers, The Head and the Heart, Shakey Graves, Lucius, Shovels & Rope). My first Reverend Horton Heat show was life-changing.

Wish You Could See — Pink Floyd circa 1971-1977. The Beatles.

Regret Not Seeing — Skipped on a chance to see Nirvana at Aragon Ballroom a few months before Cobain killed himself. Red Hot Chili Peppers played State College in 1991 with two upstart opening bands: Pearl Jam and Smashing Pumpkins.

Gig you feel fortunate to see - Got to see Stevie Wonder perform (and rehearse!!) when I worked on the Oprah Winfrey Show. Full band, 4 or 5 songs in a studio of 250 people.
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

First - Carpenters in about 1971. Mac Davis opened, and Albert Brooks did stand up in between.

Last - Went to Fresno Friday to see my nephews band open for And They Will Know Us by the Trail of Dead.

Best - impossible to answer

Worst - Aerosmith in the late 70's. Too wasted to play, but AC/DC (with Bon Scott singing) kicked ass opening.

Loudest - First time I saw Rush. Touring A Farewell to Kings. It was the cannon fire during 2112.

Seen the most. Willy Tea Taylor if you count solo and GLTSO shows.

Next - Fred Eaglesmith tonight.

Most fun - impossible to answer

Wish I could see - Zappa

Regret not seeing - Had a ticket for Queen in the 70s, but was too sick to go.

Gid I feel fortunate to see - All of them.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

Zip City wrote:
Gig you feel fortunate to see - Got to see Stevie Wonder perform (and rehearse!!) when I worked on the Oprah Winfrey Show. Full band, 4 or 5 songs in a studio of 250 people.
that's pretty cool.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

First - Jan and Dean at a fair (I think it was in Stockton, CA). It was their first tour after Jan was injured.

Last - Sturgill Simpson at Terrapin Crossroads

Best - My Morning Jacket at the Greek Theatre in Berkeley, Evil Urges tour. We waited in line to get in, in the rain, and just before showtime the rain stopped. They blew me away that night. Got to hang with whatwouldcooleydo too.

Worst- Lukas Nelson opening for his dad in Chico. He sucked so bad, whatwouldcooleydo and I got up and left. Ended up doing tequila shots until Willie came on.

Loudest - DBT. That time I decide to ride the rail. My ears rang for 3 days.

Seen the most - The Mother Hips

Next- DBT

Most fun - Steve Miller Band. It was a NYE show, I was in high school. The show was one big sing along.

Wish I could see - Hank

Regret not seeing - Sublime in Chico (1996). They played the downtown park... Brad died 2 days later.

Gig I felt fortunate to see - Won tickets to see Tom Petty on the Wildflowers tour.
Last edited by bovine knievel on Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

tinnitus photography wrote:
Zip City wrote:
that's pretty cool.
Too bad Stevie couldn’t see you. :lol:

scotto

Post by scotto »

I already answered this on the DBT FP page, but here it is, or at least a close approximation:

First: ELP at the Tulsa Fairgrounds auditorium around '77 or so.

Last: DBT at the Blue Note in Columbia, MO. Two years ago. Yes, I'm way overdue.

Best: Don't know about best, the ones I was most jazzed about were Patti Smith at Cain's Ballroom in '78, Talking Heads at tiny hole in the wall in 1978, and Roxy Music (Manifesto tour) at that same hole in the wall in '79.

Worst: ELP; see above. Wasn't really into them, but some buddies were going and I tagged along.

Loudest: Dinosaur Jr. at the Ritz in Raleigh. But it was a good loud, not an annoying loud.

Most: Sun Ra and his Arkestra, 20 or 30 or so.

Next: Homecoming, motherfuckers!

Most Fun: Was totally ecstatic the first time I saw Jonathan Richman (early '80s) because I never thought I'd get the chance. Also, first time I saw The Supersuckers I laughed and rocked my ass off.

Wish: Uncle Tupelo. Missed out on them a few times.

Regret: Wanted to see the Sex Pistols at Cain's, but no one else wanted to go, I didn't have a car, there was a blizzard...

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

First: Garth Brooks, Rupp Arena in Lexington, KY probably 1992 or 93

Last: Lee Bains III and the Glory Fires in Lexington, KY September 2019

Best: Hard to pick a best show out of hundreds, but seeing DBT open for Petty has to be up there. Also, a random DBT show that sticks out to me has always been at Headliners in Louisville, KY on 9/9/04. The band played for almost 3.5 hours and Allison Moorer opened and was brilliant and then came out to do backing vocals on a couple of DBT tunes, including their cover of Wings' "Let Me Roll It". I'd give anything to find a copy of that show, but I don't think there was a taper.

Worst: RHCP at Riverbend in Cincy, probably 1999. They were awful, Fishbone and STP opened and both blew the Chili Peppers off the stage.

Loudest: Several shows at Summit City could work for this one, including one from Jason and the 400 Unit not long after he left DBT. We started in the front and then gradually kept moving back until we finally had to walk outside for a few minutes.

Most: DBT is the runaway winner here, probably 50 or 60 times. Next is probably Petty with LB3 closing in.

Next: Sturgill Simpson w/Tyler Childers at Rupp Arena in Lexington next month

Most Fun: Another category that is about impossible to pick just one. As I mentioned earlier, seeing my 2 favorite bands, DBT and Petty, was great, as was getting to see the Stones for the first time in 2002. Glossary shows always seemed to be so much fun as well.

Wish: I would have loved to saw GnR with the original lineup back in the day, and I also wish I could have saw Izzy Stradlin and the JuJu Hounds (that album is still one of my favorites).

Regret: Not seeing Petty on his final tour and not seeing Glossary more times before they called it quits.

Fortunate: The Terry Pace Benefit concert in Florence, AL back in 2014 when Patterson, Jason & Cooley shared the stage together again. Such a special night, and we got a private tour of FAME Studios earlier in the day to cap off a great trip.

Clams

Post by Clams »

I skipped this on FB bc it seemed like too much work but I'll do it here.

First: Springsteen and the E St Band at the Spectrum in Philly, December 1980.

Last: Courtney Barnett solo at the Queen in Wilmington DE last week.

Best: Hard to say. I have very fond memories of the following over the years: All DBT shows at the 40 Watt, Springsteen on Broadway, Springsteen reunion tour 1999 at the old Meadowlands arena in NJ, Peter Gabriel at the Spectrum 1987, G'n'R at the the Spectrum 1991, Pink Floyd at Veterans Stadium 1987 or 88, Hood and Cooley in Headhunter's backyard; DBT at Union Transfer in Philly night after the election, DBT at the Brooklyn Bowl 2011, David Bowie, Serious Moonlight tour 1983 (?), Neil Young acoustic at the Tower Theater 2018. Countless amazing small club shows over the years.

Worst: Hard to say, I can't think of a worst. There were a few that didn't meet expectations: REM's Monster Tour at the Spectrum (I had bad seats and thought they had trouble filling the arena with their sound), U2's Zooropa tour at Veterans Stadium wasn't great. Dylan in 1986 (though Tom Petty was also on the bill and he was great).

Loudest: Probably DBT and the Dexateens at the Dragonfly Club in Harrisburg PA 2008. I was standing pretty much right in front of a huge bank of speakers on the Cooley side of the stage. Ears were ringing for days.

Most: DBT, lost count, probably 60ish. After that probably Springsteen - maybe 25 times since 1980.

Next up: DBT's east coast run next month. Will catch Philly, DC and maybe NYC

Most Fun: DBT in the 40 Watt. Nothing like it.

Wish I saw: Springsteen 1978 and DBT in the Isbell era.

Regret: I passed on seeing Live Aid with friends in the summer of 1985 because I was tired.
Last edited by Clams on Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Flea

Post by Flea »

Clams wrote:I skipped this on FB bc it seemed like too much work but I'll do it here.

Was it the show after Lennon was assassinated?

Clams wrote:Regret: I passed on seeing Live Aid with friends in the summer of 1986 because I was tired.
You can only blame yourself.
Now it's dark.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Flea wrote:
Clams wrote:I skipped this on FB bc it seemed like too much work but I'll do it here.

No it was the night that it happened. Next morning I woke up to the news on the radio. The following night was the famous show when he opened with Twist & Shout.

Speaking of Bruce, last week I went onto Greasy Lake for the first time in probably a year or two, and I saw DBT posts by a Flea that just has to be you. Amiright?

Flea

Post by Flea »

Clams wrote:
Flea wrote:

No it was the night that it happened. Next morning I woke up to the news on the radio. The following night was the famous show when he opened with Twist & Shout.

Speaking of Bruce, last week I went onto Greasy Lake for the first time in probably a year or two, and I saw DBT posts by a Flea that just has to be you. Amiright?
Bloody well right.
Now it's dark.

paulc

Post by paulc »

Punk was the music I grew up with and related to most as a teenager in late 70s England. Although anything to shock the parents would've done. I saw every half decent punk band except the Pistols all in small sweaty clubs. I was never a punk myself, just a scruffy kid with a leather jacket and a love of music, so one night it would be Iron Maiden or Saxon, the next SLF or the Clash, then the Specials or Black Roots; just a change of t shirt required. I was seeing 3 or 4 gigs every week. And it was dirt cheap compared to today.

First Concert — The Cortinas 1977, local punk band.

Last Concert —DC Camplight

Best Concert
—First time I saw The Clash in 1978, the sheer intensity from the first note just blew me away

Worst Concert
—Springsteen 2008, when I realised his music didn’t speak to me anymore

Loudest Concert —Hawkwind late 70s, front row right by the speaker stack. My ears rang for a couple of days. Unfortunately Stacia had left the band by then.

Seen The Most
—Springsteen 50+ between 1981-2008

Next Concert —The Interrupters

Most Fun Concert
—The Tubes 1982, a great visual band, way ahead of their time

Wish You Could See —Fire up the DeLorean, Doc! The Beatles in Hamburg, or James Brown in a Harlem dive, or Dylan in '66, or the Ramones at CBGB's ….. where would it end?

Regret Not Seeing — I had a ticket to see the Sex Pistols in 1977, but a couple of weeks before the show the venue burnt down and wasn’t rescheduled

Gig you feel fortunate to see – Seeing bands early on in tiny venues holding just a few hundred that would go on to become huge like Iron Maiden with Di’Anno, The Police, AC/DC with Bon Scott, U2 etc

Clams

Post by Clams »

Flea wrote:
Clams wrote:
Bloody well right.
I started on greasy lake back in the early 2000s and used to spend a lot of time there but pretty much gave up on the Bruce sites once I discovered DBT in 2008.

Clams

Post by Clams »

bovine knievel wrote: Got to hang with whatwouldcooleydo too.
Is that a plus or minus? :lol:

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Clams wrote:
bovine knievel wrote: Got to hang with whatwouldcooleydo too.
Is that a plus or minus? :lol:
I think he bought me a few beers so definitley a plus. 8-)

Flea

Post by Flea »

Clams wrote:
Flea wrote:
Clams wrote:
Bloody well right.
I started on greasy lake back in the early 2000s and used to spend a lot of time there but pretty much gave up on the Bruce sites once I discovered DBT in 2008.
Similar history for me. And even though I met a number of good folks thru GL, I just find many Bruce fans to be so incredibly entitled and snotty for no reason whatsoever that I gravitated away. The DBT Cosa Nostra is much better.
Now it's dark.

gkow4three

Post by gkow4three »

this is cool and got me thinking...
First Concert — Rolling Stones “Steel Wheels” at Metrodome.

Last Concert — Wilco in Chicago for night 1 of the 2019 winter residency

Best Concert — Some that come to mind… Wilco at First Ave 7/3/1996; Todd Snider and the Nervous Wrecks at Margaritaville Key West NYE 2016; Metallica in La Cross 1/1992; Tom Waits Chicago Theatre around 2000; Prince at San Diego Hard Rock hotel 2013. IF I had to pick just one… it was Metallica… we were on rail DFC and James was staring me down.

Worst Concert — I’d say Aerosmith at Summerfest around 1994… we were hoping for something different

Loudest Concert — Last fall metal show at Brick by Brick here in SanDiego. It was brutal.

Seen The Most — Wilco/Tweedy; but since 2003—the Truckers

Next Concert — As of now… Off With Their Heads at the Soda Bar… I hope I can go.

Most Fun Concert —maybe Cowboy Mount at Belly Up 1/2002—are you with me?

Wish You Could See — More of the bands I love in towns/venues they love on Saturday nights with adoring crowds (and clean lines to the bar and the bathroom)

Regret Not Seeing — I ditched Lollapalooza #1 to go to a Brewers baseball game

Gig you feel fortunate to see – I saw Wilco right after the Tupelo break up… like their 5th show as Wilco and it opened up a whole world of music for me.

worrierking

Post by worrierking »

First Concert — Aerosmith 1977. I was 14, the concert was two hours away. I went with a bunch of older teenagers who dropped me off at home about 4am, reeking of booze and smoke. My parents would not let me go to any more concerts until I was 18!

Last Concert —Doobie Brothers at the local casino

Best Concert — Tough one. Probably the first time I saw Warren Zevon in '92 at Rockefeller's in Houston. I was stunned at how good My Morning Jacket was in 2013.

Worst Concert — I didn't realize it at the time, but the aforementioned Aerosmith show was terrible. Bad sound, drunken and shoddy performance.

Loudest Concert —The Who 1982 (the first final tour!). The encore was Twist and Shout and they cranked it up so loud it hurt.

Seen The Most — Three-way tie: Warren Zevon, Jason Isbell and Lyle Lovett four times each. Not many I care to see multiple times.

Next Concert — Los Lobos

Most Fun Concert — Dash Rip Rock late 80s. A drunken madhouse.

Wish You Could See — Mad at myself for never seeing Bowie.

Regret Not Seeing — Tom Petty on his last tour. I gave away tickets to a friend.

Gig you feel fortunate to see- I'm glad I saw Willie Nelson last year. I might not get another chance.

Yaz Rock

Post by Yaz Rock »

First Concert - Eric Clapton, at Nassau Coliseum, Long Island, August 1990. My brother took me when his date or concert buddy bailed out. I was 13. First show on my own was Soul Asylum, May 15, 1998, at Tramps, New York, NY.

Last Concert - Richard Thompson, January 28, 2020 at Daryl's House, Pawling, NY.

Best Concert. - So many! Pearl Jam [July 8, 2003 MSG "Live at the Garden"; July 11, 2003 Acoustic Pre-Set Boston; October 30 & 31, 2009, The Spectrum, Philadelphia; Wrigley Field 2013; September 2, 2018 Fenway Park, Boston, MA (2nd row!)], Soul Asylum September 12, 1999 Maxwell's, Hoboken, NJ; Wilco [September 19, 2000 Irving Plaza, New York, NY; Solid Sound Covers Show 2013; October 28-29-20, 2014 Capitol Theater, Port Chester]... And so many more...

Worst Concert - Leftover Salmon at Bowery Ballroom ca. 2002. I loved that album Euphoria when I was in college. Otherwise I knew nothing about the band. The show began with a weird vibe when there were literally only ten people in the room during the opening act. Very awkward. Somehow the room filled up between the end of the opening act and LS, who didn't go on until very late, well past 11pm. I had to leave early to catch that last Metro-North train home, so it is one of the very rare shows I did not see all the way through. The way things went, I would have left early anyway. I think they only did one song that I recognized from Euphoria. Drew Emmitt's stuff was somewhat redeeming but Vince Herman's lyrics seemed to be improvised-on-the-spot gibberish. I had no idea how much they were a jam/improv band. Just not my cup of tea.

Loudest Concert - Pearl Jam from the 2nd row. I couldn't hear the audience with my earplugs on, only the band/speakers, which overwhelmed everything else.

Seen The Most - Wilco, 43 shows.

Next Concert - Rhett Miller.

Most Fun Concert - Perhaps, it was the Old 97s at Stuyvesant High School, New York, NY, 2004 or 2005. A free outdoor show that got moved indoors when it rained. The floor in front of the stage was actually a thin orchestra pit covering, and the audience was told to not stand there / rush the stage. They did anyway, and there was no stopping that crowd.

Wish You Could See - Still haven't seen John Mellencamp, whose albums I've listened to a lot. I'm not sure I'd dig his live show as much however. Wish I'd seen Tom Petty more than once, given how many times I've played his CDs too. Never saw U2 or Springsteen.

Regret Not Seeing - U2 Joshua Tree tour (recent go-around), Springsteen the River Tour (recent go-around), Roger Daltrey Symphonic Tommy at Bethel Woods 2018.

Gig you feel fortunate to see - Probably the same list as my best shows! Also glad I finally caught Mazzy Star when their most recent album came out in 2013.; Also caught a rare Neko Case duo show with Paul Rigby, opening for Mavis Staples in 2011. I scored front row tix the day she was announced as fill in for Billy Bragg who bailed out due to family situation. That was an amazing set!; Very glad I caught so many Ben Kweller shows when he was up and coming in NYC in the early 2000s.

phungi

Post by phungi »

First: (involuntary) Davey Jones at the Steel Pier show, Summer of 1970, brought there by a babysitter who was clearly very good at problem solving
(voluntary) Genesis, 1979 - And Then There Were Three tour, Philly Spectrum

Last: I honestly cannot remember

Best: Tough one... Pearl Jam at the Borgata Casino stands out, Radiohead at MSG, Live (the band) when they were 17-18, Glen Hansard

Worst: Rage Against the Machine, Lollapalooza 1993, they protested PRMC for an entire set by standing naked with their junk out, with P-M-R-C on their chests while a siren played (blared) for the entire set.

Loudest: Billy Squire opening for Foreigner (Jukebox Hero tour)... every time he sang "stroke" it was like a knife in my ear... pretty sure I lost my high-frequency hearing that night

Strangest: Mike Oldfield Tubular Bells tour, Tower Theater, there had to be 30+ people on stage making the most incredible music...

Most: Pearl Jam followed by DBT

Next up: Homecoming

Most Fun: Pearl Jam in 1992 (before few knew who they were), DBT at the 40-Watt, Peter Gabriel "Plays Live (I Go Swimming) Tour", Talking Heads Stop Making Sense tour

Wish I saw: XTC when they still toured, Pink Floyd's (original) The Wall tour

Regret: Should've gone to see the Stones with Clams this past tour.
We got messed up minds for these messed up times...