Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

chuckrh

Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds

Post by chuckrh »

Think a Nick Cave thread is needed here. Surprised there wasn't one. Anyway, here's something interesting from today's Red Hand Files:

Making art is a form of madness — we slip deep within our own singular vision and become lost to it. There is no musician on Earth that is as committed to their own derangement as Kanye, and in this respect, at this point in time, he is our greatest artist.

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Re: Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds

Post by RolanK »

Have seen him live a couple of times. Some of my all time favorite shows. Have followed his career steadily, however maybe not obsessively, since the late 80-s. My favorite albums might be The Good Son, Boatman's Call and Abattoir Blues/Lyre of Orpheus. At one time I read his book "And the Ass saw the Angel", which does not rank among my favorite books, however I find the level of literal references (biblical, mythological...) and stuff that goes on in his lyrics educational and mind-blowing. It also doesn't hurt to have musical companions such as Blixa Bargeld, Mick Harvey, Warren Ellis, and back in the days, Rowland Howard.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

RolanK wrote:Have seen him live a couple of times. Some of my all time favorite shows. Have followed his career steadily, however maybe not obsessively, since the late 80-s. My favorite albums might be The Good Son, Boatman's Call and Abattoir Blues/Lyre of Orpheus. At one time I read his book "And the Ass saw the Angel", which does not rank among my favorite books, however I find the level of literal references (biblical, mythological...) and stuff that goes on in his lyrics educational and mind-blowing. It also doesn't hurt to have musical companions such as Blixa Bargeld, Mick Harvey, Warren Ellis, and back in the days, Rowland Howard.
Amazingly, he's in his 60s & is still getting better. I put "Ghosteen" up with the ones you mentioned. It's quite different but stunning none the less. I just watched the "Distant Sky" movie again recently & I think its one of the best pure concert films ever done. With the exception of Lollapalooza way back, I've only seen him in smaller places. The last time I saw him with the Bad Seeds on the "Push the Sky" tour we got up to the front. After that film, I"m actually looking forward to seeing him in an arena setting. Nick & Trent Reznor are way up near the top of my favorite artists list. Both continue to challenge themselves & their audiences. Kudos to DBT on that score also. Regardless if you agree or not, its good see them have the guts to put out political records in these times.

paulc

Post by paulc »

For me Ghosteen is top 10 favs of the last decade.
Stunning album, the grief just pours out of him.

Flying Rabbit

Post by Flying Rabbit »

One of the great bands of my lifetime.

I dig that NC&tBS music is maturing and changing as I mature and change. It feels synchronic.

I wish NC and Warren Ellis would do more scores.

Clams

Post by Clams »

I really look forward to those Red Hand File emails each week. His messages and prose are brilliant. I need to get more into the music.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

US tour presale 10 AM Wednesday. AEG presale password: HOLLYWOOD

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

oops! 10AM Thursday!

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

Flying Rabbit wrote:One of the great bands of my lifetime.

I dig that NC&tBS music is maturing and changing as I mature and change. It feels synchronic.

I wish NC and Warren Ellis would do more scores.
i wish Warren (and Mick and Jim) would do more Dirty 3 shows!

Flea

Post by Flea »

Clams wrote:I really look forward to those Red Hand File emails each week. His messages and prose are brilliant. I need to get more into the music.
He is playing Philly in September. If you need a date, I'm your huckleberry. I have cookies...
Now it's dark.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Flea wrote:
Clams wrote:I really look forward to those Red Hand File emails each week. His messages and prose are brilliant. I need to get more into the music.
He is playing Philly in September. If you need a date, I'm your huckleberry. I have cookies...

ahhhhh .....cooookies...... here in politicallycorrectville (south alaska south of vancouver) we have cookie & medicinal shrubbery stores. it is a fine thing. back to the matter at hand, i got my tickets for seattle. the -venue here is a large theater which is a better scenario than some cities. i saw a red hand show a few months ago & it was amazing. nick is at the top of his game & this tour should be phenomenal. tickets weren't horribly expensive. go if you can & save your wretched soul (assuming you are like me). it's like rock & roll church, a path to salvation. like when springsteen was really good (78-81). the only bad part is i have to wait until october for the show!

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

if anyone is interested & want to explore, nick cave has started a 24/7 youtube channel called bad seed teevee in support of stay at home. mix of videos, concerts, interviews, etc. lots of good stuff. link below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbWdmZ7hXY4

tinnitus photography

thx for the link Chuckrh!

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Nick has cancelled, not postponed, this fall's North American tour. Says they are working on new dates with an announcement to come in the fall. Think he cancelled so the fans won't be waiting 2 years for a show, much like Sturgill Simpson. Nice gesture as the tickets weren't exactly cheap. That was the last show I had on the books for this year. I don't think I'm interested in going anyway until there's a vaccine. That & unless the government steps in the entire landscape for shows is going to change. I read an article that 90% of independent venues are in danger of not coming back. That could really hurt our boys here. It will be the corporate owned venues left standing which isn't great news for real music fans. Undoubtedly there will be new venues to fill the void but for all intents & purposes winter is here for live music.

tinnitus photography

this Nick Cave solo live stream from Ally Pally is so good. just a guy and a piano in the center of a giant room with a terrific songbook.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

tinnitus photography wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:14 pm
this Nick Cave solo live stream from Ally Pally is so good. just a guy and a piano in the center of a giant room with a terrific songbook.
I've read there were a lot of issues with the live stream. Would love to see or hear it. Price was steep on this one. I've pretty much decided that I'm passing on streaming shows. The internet is pretty flakey where I live & I'm being careful with the cash flow. I hear the GBV stream was pretty good too.

tinnitus photography

chuckrh wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:46 am
tinnitus photography wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:14 pm
I've read there were a lot of issues with the live stream. Would love to see or hear it. Price was steep on this one. I've pretty much decided that I'm passing on streaming shows. The internet is pretty flakey where I live & I'm being careful with the cash flow. I hear the GBV stream was pretty good too.
the first roll out for AUS time sounded like a shit show. for me, i just streamed from my phone and did screen mirroring and it worked flawlessly. it was $20 but for me it was worth it. the production was excellent.

(i was a nerd and took some still photos of my TV w/ my camera; maybe i will post a show gallery lol)