John Calvin Abney

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

KcGhostToMost

John Calvin Abney

Post by KcGhostToMost »

Anyone listen to JCA? I have for a few years now. He is most known as a guitarist on John Moreland’s albums. However he has released some gems for albums recently. His album Coyote is one of my all time favorite albums to spin. His most recent which came out in 2019, Safe Passage is so good as well. His guitar playing is so underrated among great guitarists out there. His vocals are kind of hushed softer sounding very Elliott Smith like at times. I had a chance to see him live a few months ago and was blown away. Just he and his acoustic guitar singing his heart out. His vocals sounded identical to his albums. Such a professional through and through. Had a chance to talk to him after. Such a kind soul. We drank PBR tall cans and talked about artists he has worked with and his upcoming album he wants to make that is replacements sounding. Anyway if anyone else shares an appreciation for JCA and his music feel free to post your thoughts.

Iowan

Re: John Calvin Abney

Post by Iowan »

I saw him play with Moreland and was really impressed with his guitar work. Didn't get that into his solo albums that much. Maybe need to give them more spins.

KcGhostToMost

Re: John Calvin Abney

Post by KcGhostToMost »

Iowan wrote:I saw him play with Moreland and was really impressed with his guitar work. Didn't get that into his solo albums that much. Maybe need to give them more spins.
His intricate guitar playing is ridiculous. His sound on his solo albums is a more mellow vibe which is more what I gravitate to as a listener. I feel he is a very underrated lyricist as well. He’s an artist I’m really pulling for to get the recognition he fully deserves in the future. No one I listen to is more deserving.