The Who

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Rocky

The Who

Post by Rocky »

Never thought I'd be able to say this.

The Who have a new record out today! (and I like it.) :mrgreen:

https://open.spotify.com/album/2WuaYvGgx9MS1Vj37aBiyU
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

chuckrh

Re: The Who

Post by chuckrh »

I don't care for it. For me there were about 4 decent songs. Roger & Pete were never in the studio together & it shows. It's rather lifeless. I kind of hope they retire & Pete does some solo work. I saw them about 3 years ago & they were fantastic. I'm good with leaving it at that. On a similar note, I saw a fantastic Stones show this summer. If that is indeed the last time, I'm good.

Flea

Post by Flea »

The Who died on 9-7-78.
Now it's dark.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Flea wrote:The Who died on 9-7-78.
& were put to rest 6/27/2002. I arrived at the Hard Rock from the airport only to see RIP John on the marquee. The news had got out while I was flying to Vegas. That was the weekend I learned never to drink heavily & gamble at the same time. That lesson has stuck! I initially thought about going to Vegas this run but then I listened to the new record. That & they are still doing the orchestra thing. Hard pass.....

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

chuckrh wrote:I don't care for it. For me there were about 4 decent songs. Roger & Pete were never in the studio together & it shows. It's rather lifeless. I kind of hope they retire & Pete does some solo work. I saw them about 3 years ago & they were fantastic. I'm good with leaving it at that. On a similar note, I saw a fantastic Stones show this summer. If that is indeed the last time, I'm good.
I re-listened over the weekend. I'm guessing we probably like the same 4 songs. My 4 favorites were Ball and Chain, All This Music Must Change, Street Song and I Don't Want To Get Wise.

Sucks about The Hard Rock thing. It was hard enough without being there in person.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Rocky wrote:Sucks about The Hard Rock thing. It was hard enough without being there in person.
Exactly. Wow, that sucks very very big time.

First listen as I type so I reserve the right to modify or change my opinion even more than usual.

Oversimplifying, there were 3 elements to the who when they were THE WHO: Townsend's songs and ambition, the musical mind meld of Townsend/Moon/Entwhistle that managed to be tight and innovative while skirting the edge of chaos (while being really loud) and Daltrey's so wrong they're right over the top vocals, admittedly not formally great singing, but which mostly worked in context.

So far the songwriting on the new one is pretty damn good. Daltrey's singing is toned down somewhat and much the better for it though still not in the class of truly great singers imho. But what's so clearly, obviously and painfully missing is the music. I have no idea who's playing bass & drums. They're certainly professional, but being professional is not the goal and not the point. It's flat, unexciting, competent. Add John and Keith to these songs (yeah good luck w/ that) and this could well be a first rate Who album. But so far it's basically enjoyable, something of a relief that they haven't embarrassed themselves and the subject of a whole lot of "oh what might have beens."

Inspirational, wonderful Townsendian verse: "I don't mind other guys ripping off my songs." :D :D
Pretty good Townsendian verse: "Every rock star wants to make a movie."
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

"Got Nothing to Prove" might be the best Kinks song of the past couple of decades.

Inspirational verse: "When I was a little younger I had to justify my angst. I spent a lot of precious time trying to find the facts." If nothing else it makes for a nice companion piece to "Self Destructive Zones" :)

Plus, "Got Nothing to Prove Anymore" seems like the perfect coda to the Who's career.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Appreciate your opinion Bubba. I see this as a record with several REALLY good songs and a whole lot of filler. Haven't read the liner notes but I heard Zak Starkey (their live band drummer who is an amazing player) didn't play on many tracks on this record which certainly would have made it more Who-like.

Totally agree on Nothing To Prove. I don't think it's a stretch to imagine that this is the last Who record we will be seeing.