Wagon Wheel

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Flea

Wagon Wheel

Post by Flea »

I truly hate that fucking song.
Now it's dark.

roland

Re: Wagon Wheel

Post by roland »

Flea wrote:I truly hate that fucking song.
NC State fan here- Up until this year, they have played WW after every fucking game because of the line about Raleigh. Agree 101%

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

It's a great song. It has been beaten, strangled, and pounded out to be completely lifeless.

But it's still a great fucking song.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Iowan wrote:It's a great song. It has been beaten, strangled, and pounded out to be completely lifeless.

I wonder if maybe the UI and the ISU band could get together and learn a version?
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

psychobillycadillac

Post by psychobillycadillac »

If ever I could write a song that had 1/3 of the success as that one has I'd open and close every show with it. In fact I'd segue in and out of every 4th song in the set with it. I'd encore with it and both open and close the encore with it. :lol:

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

You asked me if I could play you some Dylan
I said "Dylan who?" you told me to kiss your ass
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:
Iowan wrote:It's a great song. It has been beaten, strangled, and pounded out to be completely lifeless.

I wonder if maybe the UI and the ISU band could get together and learn a version?
Well, I just choked on my coffee.

John A Arkansawyer

Iowan wrote:
John A Arkansawyer wrote:

Well, I just choked on my coffee.
You inspired me when you said "beaten, strangled, and pounded out to be completely lifeless".
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

Flea wrote:I truly hate that fucking song.
Another moment that has me thinking we were separated at birth
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

whatwouldcooleydo?

Iowan wrote:beaten, strangled, and pounded out to be completely lifeless.
What is “what I want to happen to Ketch Secor,” Alex?

211poundsofpork

Post by 211poundsofpork »

Darius Rucker did NOT help matters either. That song blows.

scotto

Post by scotto »

Never heard of it. Am I fortunate or missing out?

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

scotto wrote:Never heard of it. Am I fortunate or missing out?
I know of it, but gun to my head, couldn't hum you the melody
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

John A Arkansawyer

I looked up the song, which I don't think I'd ever heard. It's a perfectly good song, except for the whole Americana vibe of it.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

I’m high AF and calling bullshit on scotto! :lol:

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

What Iowan said.

As for y'all who haven't heard it, how in the world have y'all missed it?
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Cole Younger wrote:

What Iowan said.

Where would I have heard it?

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Zip City wrote:
Cole Younger wrote:

What Iowan said.

Where would I have heard it?
When you were listening to the Avett Brothers radio station. :lol:

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

bovine knievel wrote:
If such a thing exists, I certainly don't listen to it

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Zip City wrote:
bovine knievel wrote:
It’s a Spotify thing. You can basically pick any artist and tune to their “station”, where Spotify will create a station/playlist of the artists tunes and what it thinks is similar tunes or artists. I’d bet my paycheck that if you tuned into the Avetts station, you’d hear OCMS and most likely Wagon Wheel. :lol:

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

bovine knievel wrote:
Zip City wrote:
bovine knievel wrote:
It’s a Spotify thing. You can basically pick any artist and tune to their “station”, where Spotify will create a station/playlist of the artists tunes and what it thinks is similar tunes or artists. I’d bet my paycheck that if you tuned into the Avetts station, you’d hear OCMS and most likely Wagon Wheel. :lol:
I'm not brave enough to click that link

Sterling Bigmouth

Post by Sterling Bigmouth »

Just the name of the song gives me PTSD from every shitty college bar, tailgate, and football game I ever heard it at.

It can always be worse though, it COULD be the Darius Rucker version.
Turn it up to 10 and rip off the knob

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Zip City wrote: I'm not brave enough to click that link
It’s just a link to the Avett station on Spotify and sure as shit about 20 songs down you’ll see Wagon Wheel.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

bovine knievel wrote:
Zip City wrote: I'm not brave enough to click that link
It’s just a link to the Avett station on Spotify and sure as shit about 20 songs down you’ll see Wagon Wheel.
I'm saying that with the sorry state the Avetts are in right now, I'd hate to hear what other shitty music is now associated with them

scotto

Post by scotto »

bovine knievel wrote:I’m high AF and calling bullshit on scotto! :lol:
Honest. But I don't watch TV and my "radio" is the What's everyone listening to? thread, so I'm blissfully out of touch on a lot of things. Was presenting at a conference yesterday and did a student panel and the moderator joked that all phones had to be turned off and if anyone's went off during the talk they had to come up and sing "Baby Shark."
I said I don't know that song and had about 50 pair of eyes looking at me like I'd just said I used to date Hitler.
I knew about it, but haven't heard it. Never heard of "Wagon Wheel."

John A Arkansawyer

scotto wrote:
Honest. But I don't watch TV and my "radio" is the What's everyone listening to? thread, so I'm blissfully out of touch on a lot of things. Was presenting at a conference yesterday and did a student panel and the moderator joked that all phones had to be turned off and if anyone's went off during the talk they had to come up and sing "Baby Shark."
I said I don't know that song and had about 50 pair of eyes looking at me like I'd just said I used to date Hitler.
Then you've also missed this, which is a shame:

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

scotto wrote:
Well Wagon Wheel is the Baby Shark of a certain type of music. My nephew has made me aware of Baby Shark. I'll get him back for that one day when he's older.

I'm not going to pretend that I've always hated Wagon Wheel. Hell I don't even hate it now. I put in the same category where I have a lot of Skynyrd songs. Growing up in a small town in Georgia I've heard their hits so many times whether I want to or not that I just can't listen to some of those songs again. They aren't bad songs at all. I just crossed some sort of threshold at some point and I just can't.

When Old Crow Medicine Show came along they were unique. A new band making old time style music and seemingly doing so because they genuinely loved it. But it was a matter of time before a lot of other people decided to hop on board and there was a glut of bands like that. I haven't listened to any OCMS in a few years.

Zip, to your question, I don't know, the song seemed unavoidable for a few years there. And OCMS has been featured in the What's Everyone Listening To thread many times. I figured most everyone here had encountered it at some point. But I get it, I couldn't even hum you a tune to a single Avett Brothers song and don't even know the name of one of their albums. Ditto with that other band that I always used to confuse them with. I can't even remember the name but they used to be talked about here fairly often. Some sort of modern Bluegrass outfit.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

John A Arkansawyer

Cole Younger wrote:I'm not going to pretend that I've always hated Wagon Wheel. Hell I don't even hate it now. I put in the same category where I have a lot of Skynyrd songs. Growing up in a small town in Georgia I've heard their hits so many times whether I want to or not that I just can't listen to some of those songs again. They aren't bad songs at all. I just crossed some sort of threshold at some point and I just can't.
I call it the "Stairway to Heaven effect". I didn't hate hearing that song the first million times, either; on my first listening yesterday, "Wagon Wheel" sounded like a perfectly good song to me, though not really top-shelf Dylan.

And speaking of "Stairway to Heaven", please enjoy my dear departed friend Windy Austin and his Hot House Tomato Boys playing "They All Play Stairway To Heaven". Hell yes!

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

Watching Ken Burns "Country Music" last night, I came to the conclusion that the lead-in version/commercial of Wagon Wheel is just so fu*king lame and inappropriate, it inspires instant rage, which is directed toward the song rather than the criminals who filmed that shitty lead in.
Love each other, Motherfuckers!

whatwouldcooleydo?

Last night we walk into a small local brewery that we frequent. There was a pickup (whoever showed up) music set starting as we enter. Actually they were tuning and making sure they were all on the same page.... and then they start with Wagon Wheel :roll:

I didn't think they could go down any further from there but oh boy, how wrong was I! The songs I recall them doing later included Piano Man, Please Come to Boston, Leader of the Band, and other such "low T" material (there was Christopher Cross and Little River Band in there as well). They closed with a strange hybrid of the music to Down by the River with the words from Rocket Man. I got them to play an actual Neil song since they teased it and got Old Man.

At least the beer is good :lol: