Tyler Childers

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

beantownbubba

Re: Tyler Childers

Post by beantownbubba »

Sterling Bigmouth wrote:
Fri Nov 11, 2022 12:26 pm
Childers is probably one of my 5 or so favorite artists from the past decade, but unfortunately his fanbase has morphed for the worse lately. I saw him on his Purgatory and Country Squire tours when he was getting plenty of recognition, but hadn’t broke into the mainstream yet. Unfortunately his placement on big Spotify playlists and the popularity of his music on Tik Tok (sigh) has completely changed the vibe at a lot of his recent shows. Regardless, I’d be all over a Childers/DBT double bill if I could go.

FWIW: I think both his and DBT’s most recent records fuck.
Did they have a baby? Did they call it rock n roll?
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Jonicont wrote:
Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:25 am
Bill in CT wrote:
Fri Nov 11, 2022 9:30 am
Also, Tyler Childers fans are the most obnoxious fans of a good artist I have experienced
And that was in a theater (Webster Hall). Can you imagine 10,000 of them in one place. I did see him one time in an arena (with Sturgill). A multi person fight broke out in the seats next to me (which was when I left). It's what I imagine a frat boy pop country show is like. Or as my son in law said--"This is what happens when you get drunk hillbillies together" (NB: he's from a hillbilly family in a hillbilly town).
More obnoxious than Billy Strings fans? He's got that GD ugliness going on now. Hard pass....I know, my loss. 1 of my quirks.

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

: I think both his and DBT’s most recent records fuck.

Is this a potential slogan for tee shirts for the next Nuccis Space fundraiser???

I really like TC (both Tyler and Tequila Cowboy), and I think his earlier records are hard to beat, but I love some of the lines of the new album!

brettac1

Post by brettac1 »

chuckrh wrote:
Fri Nov 11, 2022 5:31 pm
Jonicont wrote:
Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:25 am
Bill in CT wrote:
Fri Nov 11, 2022 9:30 am
Also, Tyler Childers fans are the most obnoxious fans of a good artist I have experienced
And that was in a theater (Webster Hall). Can you imagine 10,000 of them in one place. I did see him one time in an arena (with Sturgill). A multi person fight broke out in the seats next to me (which was when I left). It's what I imagine a frat boy pop country show is like. Or as my son in law said--"This is what happens when you get drunk hillbillies together" (NB: he's from a hillbilly family in a hillbilly town).
More obnoxious than Billy Strings fans? He's got that GD ugliness going on now. Hard pass....I know, my loss. 1 of my quirks.
As a Billy Strings fan, I will clarify that he hasn't played a Dead song in like 6+ months. It has actually been pissing off the fans who got into him through the Dead covers.

DBT is my all-time favorite band but I'm not sure there's anyone I'd rather see right now than Tyler or Billy - and I'm 11 years completely sober!

The Billy Asheville Halloween run was fucking incredible and I'm thrilled he's been playing more bluegrass and less Dead (I say this as a Dead fan).
Wound up bleeding on the bar floor
We don't bet on the ball no more

brettac1

Post by brettac1 »

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Ann Powers interview. Video is going to blow some minds. So powerful!! https://www.npr.org/2023/07/27/11901486 ... -interview
Always go to the show

Sterling Bigmouth

Post by Sterling Bigmouth »

With each new single and album I keep waiting on Childers to make a play toward the massive audience he’s built over the years, and he surprises me every time. Quickly becoming my favorite country artist of the last decade.
Turn it up to 10 and rip off the knob

Clams

Post by Clams »

Jonicont wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2023 10:28 am
Ann Powers interview. Video is going to blow some minds. So powerful!! https://www.npr.org/2023/07/27/11901486 ... -interview
Well that oughta put a dent in the number of TC fans
If you don't run you rust

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Jonicont wrote:Ann Powers interview. Video is going to blow some minds. So powerful!! https://www.npr.org/2023/07/27/11901486 ... -interview
That interview really resonated with me. As a left of center person in rural America, there’s this sentiment you hear that you’re supposed to escape to the city and go be surrounded by people who think like you, but man, fuck all of that. It’s so cool to me that they portray two gay men making a meaningful, proud, blue collar life. Like Childers, I too see that as the kind of world that can exist.

The song is great too.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Going through threads that interest me since bubba challenged me to stop complaining about how little traffic the board gets and create some traffic instead.

Big Tyler fan but didn’t care for the un gospel album. Sure didn’t need three different versions of it. I pretty much love every else he has done. I’m the only person I know that really likes the Rustin In The Rain album.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Cole Younger wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:14 pm
Going through threads that interest me since bubba challenged me to stop complaining about how little traffic the board gets and create some traffic instead.

Big Tyler fan but didn’t care for the un gospel album. Sure didn’t need three different versions of it. I pretty much love every else he has done. I’m the only person I know that really likes the Rustin In The Rain album.
Yo cole good to see ya. I'm just the opposite of you. I love Can I Take My Hounds to Heaven? (just disc 1, the basic version) and didn't really care for Rusting in the Rain. Diff'rent strokes...

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Clams wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:21 pm
Cole Younger wrote:

Yo cole good to see ya. I'm just the opposite of you. I love Can I Take My Hounds to Heaven? (just disc 1, the basic version) and didn't really care for Rusting in the Rain. Diff'rent strokes...
Hey man. Good to see you too. Bubba called me out and I’m glad he did. Gonna be around more. I like some of the songs on that album but just didn’t care for what he did with them. I hope Tyler is coming out the other side of whatever that was where he feels like he has to prove he’s more than a hillbilly or whatever he was doing.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Cole Younger wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 2:20 pm
Clams wrote:
Cole Younger wrote:

Hey man. Good to see you too. Bubba called me out and I’m glad he did. Gonna be around more. I like some of the songs on that album but just didn’t care for what he did with them. I hope Tyler is coming out the other side of whatever that was where he feels like he has to prove he’s more than a hillbilly or whatever he was doing.
No doubt he has evolved over the years, for better or worse

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Cole Younger wrote:
I appreciate the thought and the effort, sir.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

brettac1

Post by brettac1 »

Clams wrote:
Cole Younger wrote:

The thing with Rustin' in the Rain is that it has "In Your Love," which IMO is an all-time great love song. The fact that the album is basically an EP sort of sucks but that song is so great that I don't even care.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

brettac1 wrote:
Clams wrote:
Cole Younger wrote:

The thing with Rustin' in the Rain is that it has "In Your Love," which IMO is an all-time great love song. The fact that the album is basically an EP sort of sucks but that song is so great that I don't even care.
I like the title track just as much.

The rest of it feels unnecessary. Just release those two songs and don’t make it look like an album.