Tyler Childers

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Beaverdam

Re: Tyler Childers

Post by Beaverdam »

https://www.cfmt.org/stories/

I just read that the profits from the new record are going to support this organization which Tyler and his wife founded. I’ve shared with many of you that I lived in an extremely desolate county (Wise) in Virginia, which bordered Kentucky, for a couple of years after grad school. I can attest to the needs in the area, and I think the organization in the link sounds like a worthwhile one.

I read somewhere that Tyler gave up drinking. I’d really enjoy sitting down with him over a pot of coffee!!!

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

Thoughts on the new album???

Clams

Post by Clams »

Beaverdam wrote:
Thu Sep 08, 2022 10:06 pm
Thoughts on the new album???
Well not really since it it's not out yet. But he's certainly challenging his audience. Looking fwd to hearing all 3.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

brettac1

Post by brettac1 »

Can't wait to hear the whole project but I love what's been released so far. I love bluegrass (and gospel to a degree) so I'm excited. When it was first getting teased I was hoping the McCourys were going to be on it after he played DelFest with them but the Food Stamps are amazing.

Long story short, he really doesn't do wrong by me.
Do you ever get tired of singin' songs
Like all your pain is just another fuckin' sing along?

Clams

Post by Clams »

I put this in the listening thread yesterday but it probably better off here.
Personally I really love the first two records but I'm already done with the Joyful Noise version. Maybe I'll come back to it in a few months.
Clams wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:46 am

For anyone trying to figure out what the deal is with the 3 different versions of this record:
The album’s three discs are divided into “Hallelujah,” “Jubilee” and “Joyful Noise.” “Hallelujah,” the most elemental of the pack, offers lean arrangements that allow Childers’ expert touring band, the Food Stamps, to join him in the studio. “Jubilee” pumps up the production, employing strings, brass and, at one point, sitar to upsize the songs. “Joyful Noise” is a record of remixes, a tripped-out scrapbook of beats, blurred melodies and sampled voices (ranging from Andy Griffith to Thomas Merton to Jerry Clower) that purposely strays from the songs’ compositional designs.

The “Hallelujah” version is a rich, roots-savvy romp topped by suitably churchy B3 fills. The “Jubilee” version ups the jubilation with horns that recall Allen Toussaint’s regal brass arrangements for The Band’s “Rock of Ages” while the rhythmic drive brings to mind vintage Little Feat with a touch of Leon Russell piano flair. Then there is the “Joyful Noise” remix, which opens with bits of homespun conversation before easing into a hip-hop-leaning beat colored by bits of brassy synth that downshifts to where the organ takes on a funereal mood.

https://www.kentucky.com/entertainment/ ... rylink=cpy

More...
It's split up into three acts, each featuring different versions of the same songs: the Jubilee portion fleshes the songs out with strings, horns, backing vocals, dulcimer, mbira, sitar, and more; the Hallelujah version is just the core band recording live in studio; and the Joyful Noise version is an avant-garde reworking of the songs that renders them nearly unrecognizable from the Jubilee and Hallelujah versions. If you're thinking "do I really need to hear three different versions of the same songs?" I don't blame you, but Can I Take My Hounds to Heaven? is much less redundant than it seems on paper. Jubilee is the kind of big, fleshed-out, immaculately-produced album you could see coming out of the early '70s album-oriented rock era. It pulls from a variety of styles of American music (country, rock, blues, gospel-soul, etc), and the massive arrangements make it sound like something that would fit in on The Last Waltz. Meanwhile, the live-in-studio Jubilee version finds The Food Stamps busting out the kinds of jams that the Grateful Dead and the Allman Brothers gravitated towards in that same era. The songs are the same, but the interpretations are so different that it never feels like listening to the same album twice in a row. And again, the Joyful Noise version feels like a different album entirely.

https://www.brooklynvegan.com/yeah-yeah ... d-reviews/

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

The Joyful Noise disc is pointless. I think it exists to expose people that automatically praise anything that’s a complete curve ball as genius.

The other two versions are fucking brilliant.

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Iowan wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:35 pm
The Joyful Noise disc is pointless. I think it exists to expose people that automatically praise anything that’s a complete curve ball as genius.

That sums it up
Always go to the show

Clams

Post by Clams »

Jonicont wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:12 am
Iowan wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:35 pm

That sums it up
The first one (Hallelujah) is all I need. The second one is redundant and kinda unnecessary, and the third one does nothing for me. But I'm 100% in on Hallelujah.

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

Really digging the songs. Did not care for Country Squire so this is a welcome return to form.

I think for the most part I tend to like Hallelujah versions the most, but there are a couple (Angel Band comes to mind) where the Jubilee embellishments kick it up a notch.

The most obnoxious thing about Joyful Noise is that I would probably buy this on vinyl, and still may, but the added cost of a third disc I'll never play chaps my ass.
All it takes is one wicked heart, a pile of money, and a chain of folks just doing their jobs

brettac1

Post by brettac1 »

Mundane Mayhem wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:46 am
Really digging the songs. Did not care for Country Squire so this is a welcome return to form.

I think for the most part I tend to like Hallelujah versions the most, but there are a couple (Angel Band comes to mind) where the Jubilee embellishments kick it up a notch.

The most obnoxious thing about Joyful Noise is that I would probably buy this on vinyl, and still may, but the added cost of a third disc I'll never play chaps my ass.
Yeah I have all of them on vinyl already so that means I will get this one on vinyl, too. Even if I never even play all three.

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

“Way of the Triune God” is another one where the Jubilee version is my favorite.
All it takes is one wicked heart, a pile of money, and a chain of folks just doing their jobs

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

brettac1 wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:21 pm
Yeah I have all of them on vinyl already so that means I will get this one on vinyl, too. Even if I never even play all three.
Yeah, who am I kidding? I’m for sure gonna buy it after I hem and haw for a while, for show.

brettac1

Post by brettac1 »

Mundane Mayhem wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:57 am
brettac1 wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:21 pm
Yeah, who am I kidding? I’m for sure gonna buy it after I hem and haw for a while, for show.
My regret after buying it now would be minimal compared to not getting it and then paying 5x as much in a few years on eBay because I want to be a completist.

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

“If I can’t take my hounds to heavens, if I can’t hunt on God’s land I’d rather load my dog box and go to hell with all my friends” is kind of genius on my book!

I’m from rural Virginia where hunting with dogs is very much a part of culture. I was never a hunter, but I was alway “around” hunting. My Papa, the man for whom I named my son, was a coon hunter!

Clams

Post by Clams »

Beaverdam wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:47 pm
“If I can’t take my hounds to heavens, if I can’t hunt on God’s land I’d rather load my dog box and go to hell with all my friends” is kind of genius on my book!

I’m from rural Virginia where hunting with dogs is very much a part of culture. I was never a hunter, but I was alway “around” hunting. My Papa, the man for whom I named my son, was a coon hunter!
Here's some insight on the origin of the song (which I've stolen from a post on Tyler's facebook fan page):
I’m not sure the exact verse but I’m pretty sure it’s inspired from a story in the Bhagavad Gita.
“The dog must come with me,” said Yudhisthira
“That is not possible,” said Indra. “All cannot attain heaven. The dog is old and thin and has no value.”
“In that case, I do not seek heaven, “replied Yudhisthira. “The dog was my faithful companion and I cannot abandon it. It sought my help and gave me unconditional love. The pleasures of heaven will mean nothing to me in comparison to its grief. It has done nothing to deserve abandonment and had none of the weaknesses of my wife and brothers. If it does not deserve to go to heaven, then neither do I.” And so he turned back.
https://dogwithblog.in/story-of-yudhist ... I_zm020jJQ

brettac1

Post by brettac1 »

https://youtu.be/y9x0Myp9sBE
My favorite Tyler song, with an assist from Chris Stapleton.

jr29

Post by jr29 »

brettac1 wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 2:43 pm
https://youtu.be/y9x0Myp9sBE
My favorite Tyler song, with an assist from Chris Stapleton.
I've watched some videos from that show. Seemed like a special night.

brettac1

Post by brettac1 »

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Childers is ok but DBT vastly outshines him. Hopefully DBT kicks his ass when they open.

brettac1

Post by brettac1 »

I'm curious how much time they'll get. I'm tempted to fly out for it if they get something near a full set. Otherwise I'm hoping to catch Berkeley and perhaps Chicago or STL.

Clams

Post by Clams »

chuckrh wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 3:43 pm
Childers is ok but DBT vastly outshines him. Hopefully DBT kicks his ass when they open.
I'm not so sure about that Chuck.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Clams wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:00 pm
chuckrh wrote:
I don't know what the numbers say, but I have to admit I'm pretty damned surprised that DBT is opening for Childers.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Clams wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:00 pm
chuckrh wrote:
Just my opinion. I don't mind Tyler but not really my thing. That's not to say I haven't listened to him. DBT is way more my speed. I was supposed to see Tyler open for Sturgill Simpson (rocking version) but it got cancelled by COVID. There's so much to listen to that decisions have to be made. I have way more music than I'll ever be able to listen to before I kick the bucket. The way things are going, my time is far more finite than most here. I haven't given up but it's getting really hard to keep my shit together & keep fighting. I'm in a really rugged phase right now. Just started a really nasty chemo (again) & it looks like there may be some major surgery coming on my spine soon. I have to roll the dice on that one as I have no desire to continue from a wheelchair. At a certain point I just have to say "no mas". I'm wore out.
PS: sorry if I went off earlier in this. It's been a hellacious week. :?

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

beantownbubba wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:11 pm

I don't know what the numbers say, but I have to admit I'm pretty damned surprised that DBT is opening for Childers.
He consistently sells out 10,000+ venues
Always go to the show

Clams

Post by Clams »

chuckrh wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:39 pm
The way things are going, my time is far more finite than most here. I haven't given up but it's getting really hard to keep my shit together & keep fighting. I'm in a really rugged phase right now. Just started a really nasty chemo (again) & it looks like there may be some major surgery coming on my spine soon. I have to roll the dice on that one as I have no desire to continue from a wheelchair. At a certain point I just have to say "no mas". I'm wore out.
PS: sorry if I went off earlier in this. It's been a hellacious week. :?
Sorry to hear all this man. That truly sucks. Wish I had something more meaningful to say other than "Hang in there."

Getting back on point, in terms of current status in the music marketplace or whatever, Childers is way bigger than the Truckers these days and I don't think it's really close. Bigger crowds, more fanfare, more press, a newer/younger vibe, and if we're being honest, better records. Plus they're still up and coming. To be clear, none of this is meant as draggage against DBT. (I bet P Hood would agree with the above)

Also, too bad DBT is only opening one show for Tyler. I remember him posting a year or so ago that Pizza Deliverance was one of the soundtracks of his youth and that DBT was a major influence on him. That's gonna be a REALLY bitchin double bill.

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Clams wrote:
Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:18 am

Getting back on point, in terms of current status in the music marketplace or whatever, Childers is way bigger than the Truckers these days and I don't think it's really close. Bigger crowds, more fanfare, more press, a newer/younger vibe, and if we're being honest, better records. Plus they're still up and coming. To be clear, none of this is meant as draggage against DBT. (I bet P Hood would agree with the above)

Also, too bad DBT is only opening one show for Tyler. I remember him posting a year or so ago that Pizza Deliverance was one of the soundtracks of his youth and that DBT was a major influence on him. That's gonna be a REALLY bitchin double bill.
Better records?--Now just a minute
Always go to the show

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

I agree with jonicont about Tyler Childers vs DBT records. Also, Tyler Childers fans are the most obnoxious fans of a good artist I have experienced since Lucero fans when I first started seeing them in 2010 and Robert Earl Keen fans the one time I saw him.
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Jonicont wrote:
Fri Nov 11, 2022 7:53 am
beantownbubba wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:11 pm

He consistently sells out 10,000+ venues

Thanks for the detail/perspective.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Bill in CT wrote:
Fri Nov 11, 2022 9:30 am
Also, Tyler Childers fans are the most obnoxious fans of a good artist I have experienced
And that was in a theater (Webster Hall). Can you imagine 10,000 of them in one place. I did see him one time in an arena (with Sturgill). A multi person fight broke out in the seats next to me (which was when I left). It's what I imagine a frat boy pop country show is like. Or as my son in law said--"This is what happens when you get drunk hillbillies together" (NB: he's from a hillbilly family in a hillbilly town).
Always go to the show

Sterling Bigmouth

Post by Sterling Bigmouth »

Childers is probably one of my 5 or so favorite artists from the past decade, but unfortunately his fanbase has morphed for the worse lately. I saw him on his Purgatory and Country Squire tours when he was getting plenty of recognition, but hadn’t broke into the mainstream yet. Unfortunately his placement on big Spotify playlists and the popularity of his music on Tik Tok (sigh) has completely changed the vibe at a lot of his recent shows. Regardless, I’d be all over a Childers/DBT double bill if I could go.

FWIW: I think both his and DBT’s most recent records fuck.
Turn it up to 10 and rip off the knob