Tyler Childers

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Clams

Re: Tyler Childers

Post by Clams »

Jonicont wrote:
Clams wrote:
Jonicont wrote:Webster Hall--MP3 only

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wpplmcxlevdz ... RiY6a?dl=0
As my kids would say, that's flames John.
Lick my legs, I'm on fire
Lol, I had to google that and I still don't get it
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

walthers

Post by walthers »

Thank you, great listen for a Sunday morning.

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Clams wrote:
Jonicont wrote:
Clams wrote: As my kids would say, that's flames John.
Lick my legs, I'm on fire
Lol, I had to google that and I still don't get it
:lol: :lol: Just a line that popped into my head while reading your post. Random, crazy senile shit
Always go to the show

Clams

Post by Clams »

The Country Squire tour starts tonight at Red Rocks and the show is being live streamed, I think on nugs.com.

Also, get yourself a tour of the actual Country Squire here: https://www.facebook.com/spotifyusa/vid ... zNzI1Nzkx/

walthers

Post by walthers »

Appreciate the heads up clams. Wanted to go tonight but with it being extremely sold out and having a newborn it’s just not in the cards for me, but watching it from my couch will work.

Clams

Post by Clams »

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Clams wrote:
I watched about 30 mins of the set last night and I was surprised at how subdued his performance was.
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

boyyourself

Post by boyyourself »

I saw him solo last summer in a 200 person theater and it was great. Then a full band performance the next day at a festival and it was a total sleeper. And so is his new record IMO. Maybe because I wanted it to be Purgatory all over again but instead it’s more like Nashville Sound from isbell. Also, I’m no longer interested in his love life on any level and that’s part of why Country Squire bores me to tears.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Two years ago I saw Childers in a tiny room in South Philly with about 50 people. Last night he played the Fillmore in North Philly, sold out with 2,500. Was a young crowd and Timmy had em eating out of his hand all night. Damn does he sing some incredible songs. #eatinbigtime
Last edited by Clams on Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hendooman

Post by hendooman »

Clams wrote:Image

Two years ago I saw Childers in a tiny room in South Philly with about 50 people. Last night he played the Fillmore in North Philly, sold out with 2,500. Was a young crown and Timmy had em eating out of his hand all night. Damn does he sing some incredible songs. #eatinbigtime
Hope he gets the opportunity to play at least a 3/4 set when he travels with Sturgill.

hendooman

Post by hendooman »

I also saw an email yesterday from Nugs that they are making a bunch of his live shows available for stream for like .99 a month. Might check that out. I doubt you can download them though.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Tyler is going to be on CBS Saturday morning show next week, 12/21.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

also on Seth Meyers Monday night

KcGhostToMost

Post by KcGhostToMost »

Tyler Childers is good I would never dispute that. This is going to be unpopular it appears in this thread but I am confused as to why he is a poster boy for country music. His latest Country Squire is ok but for the few good songs on it there are a few duds too. Yes he has the predictable country sounding vocals but the instrumentals are nothing overwhelming or special. I feel because Sturgill Simpson endorsed him it made him a little more than he truly is. Again this is just my opinion nothing more. Again he’s good but good is where I would leave it. I don’t think he merits the hype he is getting as a torchbearer for country music. I saw him in kc a few years ago about 40 people total were there . He sat at a chair and played for about 1 1/2 hours. He was good but I left thinking I’ve seen much better. I find all this hype surrounding him quite strange. I think Caleb Caudle is more talented of a country artist and lyricist to name one. Again my comments will probably not be too popular but I can’t help it. It’s how I see it.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

KcGhostToMost wrote:Tyler Childers is good I would never dispute that. This is going to be unpopular it appears in this thread but I am confused as to why he is a poster boy for country music. His latest Country Squire is ok but for the few good songs on it there are a few duds too. Yes he has the predictable country sounding vocals but the instrumentals are nothing overwhelming or special. I feel because Sturgill Simpson endorsed him it made him a little more than he truly is. Again this is just my opinion nothing more. Again he’s good but good is where I would leave it. I don’t think he merits the hype he is getting as a torchbearer for country music. I saw him in kc a few years ago about 40 people total were there . He sat at a chair and played for about 1 1/2 hours. He was good but I left thinking I’ve seen much better. I find all this hype surrounding him quite strange. I think Caleb Caudle is more talented of a country artist and lyricist to name one. Again my comments will probably not be too popular but I can’t help it. It’s how I see it.
I've listened to Caleb Caudle, and I wouldn't put him anywhere near Childers.

I think Childers has a phenomenal gift for melody, and a lot of wit in turning a phrase. Country Squire isn't quite as good as Purgatory, but it's still awfully damn good to my ears. I like his voice, the arrangements, and his ability to tackle the subject matter he does in a very real way. There's nothing patronizing, cheeky, or excessively cliched about it.

I'm surprised at the amount of hype he's gotten as well, but more from the standpoint of real country music being pretty well ignored by anything in the mainstream. The Sturgill association is definitely what got him the breaks, but he's more than backed it up with his actual product, IMO.

KcGhostToMost

Post by KcGhostToMost »

Iowan wrote:

I think Childers has a phenomenal gift for melody, and a lot of wit in turning a phrase. Country Squire isn't quite as good as Purgatory, but it's still awfully damn good to my ears. I like his voice, the arrangements, and his ability to tackle the subject matter he does in a very real way. There's nothing patronizing, cheeky, or excessively cliched about it.

I'm surprised at the amount of hype he's gotten as well, but more from the standpoint of real country music being pretty well ignored by anything in the mainstream. The Sturgill association is definitely what got him the breaks, but he's more than backed it up with his actual product, IMO.
I agree Purgatory is his best but I still feel not in as elite of a category as people were claiming. His music before Purgatory was average at best. Country Squire has a few good songs but not enough for a shortened album imo. For me as a listener it appears as the leftovers from Purgatory and kind of thrown together.
Carolina Ghost by Caleb Caudle is a great country album start to finish very underrated. His most recent Crushed Coins I feel is by far his best. He really stepped out of his country comfort zone and it really paid off for him artistically imo. It received the most praise of any of his albums. He has very soothing vocals and moving lyrics. He has a new one coming out in 2020. Most will see Childers as better than Caudle because of status who produces his albums etc. But if people would dig a bit deeper I think they’d be surprised. Again just my thoughts as a fan who has followed both careers since their starts.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Caudle struck me as talented, but none of his songs grabbed me the way Childers' did. Has nothing to do with hype or producer.

Granted, I was listening to Tyler Childers when the hype was a wee smolder as opposed to the roaring fire it is today.

Clams

Post by Clams »

KcGhostToMost wrote:
Iowan wrote:

I agree Purgatory is his best but I still feel not in as elite of a category as people were claiming. His music before Purgatory was average at best. Country Squire has a few good songs but not enough for a shortened album imo. For me as a listener it appears as the leftovers from Purgatory and kind of thrown together.
Carolina Ghost by Caleb Caudle is a great country album start to finish very underrated. His most recent Crushed Coins I feel is by far his best. He really stepped out of his country comfort zone and it really paid off for him artistically imo. It received the most praise of any of his albums. He has very soothing vocals and moving lyrics. He has a new one coming out in 2020. Most will see Childers as better than Caudle because of status who produces his albums etc. But if people would dig a bit deeper I think they’d be surprised. Again just my thoughts as a fan who has followed both careers since their starts.
Ok I'll bite. I can't comment on Caudle but I think Childers is worthy of the hype. He has a knack for storytelling and making the hills and valleys of Appalachia come to life, and he does it with a keen eye, an ever present sense of humor, and no judgment whatsoever against the sad sacks and drug addicts in his songs. He manages to evoke the people and spirit of his part of the country in a way similar to how the Truckers do with Alabama. I'll agree that his first record isn't much to speak of, but he released it back in 2011 when he clearly hadn't yet hit his stride. IMO everything since then has been fantastic. Re the new record, three of the slower songs (Matthew, Peace of Mind and Creeker) are character/family studies in the same vein as some of Cooley's latter day songs (think Primer Coat and Filthy & Fried). I'd also suggest that you see him live again - his band is flames now as compared to two years ago.

KcGhostToMost

Post by KcGhostToMost »

The change in Childers for me as a fan between Purgatory to Country Squire is a talented country singer with potential to a CMT clone who rushed an album of way lesser quality just to release another. Just my honest opinion. Also if I’m being honest Justin Townes Earle’s The Saint of Lost Causes >>>>>> Tyler Childers Country Squire in 2019

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

I thought Tyler Childers was just good when Purgatory came out but I’ve listened to him a lot, a whole lot, over the last six months, and at this point I like him as much as I like Sturgill and Sturgill is my favorite artist since I discovered DBT, and my favorite country artist of the last twenty years. What’s more, I like Country Squire far more than I like Sturgill’s latest which I find unlistenable with the exception of one song. Tyler tells great stories, he’s funny, and at this point I love that he is perfectly comfortable being a country artist while Sturgill seems to want to be that half the time and runs from it the other half. As a guy who is looking to buy a camper and have been thinking about it since before I heard the song Country Squire, I love that song. Creeker is my favorite of the album though. I’ve been there. I’ve been the guy in that song. First when I was living in California and again my first year in the Marine Corps. Also, I’m probably the only one here that cares but there is a blatant Stanley Brothers homage in that song. It’s their song, Rank Stangers,set to 3/4 time and I love that song and love me some Stanley Brothers.

I should probably leave this out but it’s always interesting how different t our tastes are. While I love Tyler Childers I can’t stand Caleb Caudle’s music. I havent listened to the latest Justin Townes Earle. I gave up on him a few years ago because he kept making the same record over and over.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

The only newish country artists I seek out seem to all be women. I dig Tyler a lot, moreso now than I did even months ago, but I still don't necessarily understand the hype.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Cole Younger wrote:I thought Tyler Childers was just good when Purgatory came out but I’ve listened to him a lot, a whole lot, over the last six months, and at this point I like him as much as I like Sturgill and Sturgill is my favorite artist since I discovered DBT, and my favorite country artist of the last twenty years. What’s more, I like Country Squire far more than I like Sturgill’s latest which I find unlistenable with the exception of one song. Tyler tells great stories, he’s funny, and at this point I love that he is perfectly comfortable being a country artist while Sturgill seems to want to be that half the time and runs from it the other half. As a guy who is looking to buy a camper and have been thinking about it since before I heard the song Country Squire, I love that song. Creeker is my favorite of the album though. I’ve been there. I’ve been the guy in that song. First when I was living in California and again my first year in the Marine Corps. Also, I’m probably the only one here that cares but there is a blatant Stanley Brothers homage in that song. It’s their song, Rank Stangers,set to 3/4 time and I love that song and love me some Stanley Brothers.

I should probably leave this out but it’s always interesting how different t our tastes are. While I love Tyler Childers I can’t stand Caleb Caudle’s music. I havent listened to the latest Justin Townes Earle. I gave up on him a few years ago because he kept making the same record over and over.
Cole have you checked out his acoustic stuff on Live at Red Barn Radio I and II? If you're on spotify, it's on his page. So good.

walthers

Post by walthers »

I second that, the Red Barn radio stuff is what got me hooked. Some really good stuff there for sure. I got into Tyler before the hype really set in and honestly his newest album is my least favorite of what he has out there. I should revisit it though and see what I think, it's been awhile.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Clams wrote:
Cole Younger wrote:I thought Tyler Childers was just good when Purgatory came out but I’ve listened to him a lot, a whole lot, over the last six months, and at this point I like him as much as I like Sturgill and Sturgill is my favorite artist since I discovered DBT, and my favorite country artist of the last twenty years. What’s more, I like Country Squire far more than I like Sturgill’s latest which I find unlistenable with the exception of one song. Tyler tells great stories, he’s funny, and at this point I love that he is perfectly comfortable being a country artist while Sturgill seems to want to be that half the time and runs from it the other half. As a guy who is looking to buy a camper and have been thinking about it since before I heard the song Country Squire, I love that song. Creeker is my favorite of the album though. I’ve been there. I’ve been the guy in that song. First when I was living in California and again my first year in the Marine Corps. Also, I’m probably the only one here that cares but there is a blatant Stanley Brothers homage in that song. It’s their song, Rank Stangers,set to 3/4 time and I love that song and love me some Stanley Brothers.

Cole have you checked out his acoustic stuff on Live at Red Barn Radio I and II? If you're on spotify, it's on his page. So good.
Yes sir I’m familiar. I love it too.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Nice Tyler Childers name drop in Ace Atkins' new Quinn Colson mystery The Shameless. All the other musicians called out so far are either classic country giants or obscure (to me) presumably classic country. About half way in the book is definitely up to Atkins's high standards in general and for this series.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

brettac1

Post by brettac1 »

Tyler has become one of my absolute favorite artists over the past few years and I'll FINALLY be seeing him on this run with Sturgill in May and (hopefully also once in April).

I think he's incredible and as a person from a very rural area (albeit a bit to the north) extremely relatable much in the same way the Truckers were for me when I first discovered them. I do prefer Purgatory to Country Squire, though I love the latter and the gap is not wide. The release I actually listen to the most is Live On Red Barn Radio. I had been on a massive kick of listening to him during the summer/fall surrounding the Country Squire release, during which time my grandfather was in the process of passing away and I found myself listening to "Follow You To Virgie" so many times during the ordeal and forming a real deep connection with the song (though it's about a grandmother, obviously) to the point that I will probably lose my shit if I'm fortunate enough to see it live.

Also, big props to the people on YouTube that post full shows because I have probably watched almost all of them on there and some more than once.
Do you ever get tired of singin' songs
Like all your pain is just another fuckin' sing along?

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

I watched the Pickathon show last night.

I sure do love it when Tyler C covers CDB’s Trudy!

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

I’m assuming that most of you have seen this video, but it’s so enjoyable that I thought that it merited a posting.

If only the character in the video ate a cookie and was transported next to the 40 watt stage...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DrHd3nkCIz4

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

Tyler dropped a new album out of the blue this past Friday, "Long Violent History". It's mostly all fiddle music since he's been learning to play, but the last song, also titled Long Violent History, has lyrics that talk about many of the things going on in our society today. Here's a clip he released to accompany the new album:

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

I lay in bed this morning while my wife read and the kids were quiet. I listened the the new album from start to finish. The fiddle work is amazing!

I then listened to part of Purgatory. The line below from “Feathered Indians” still gets me ever time,

“If I’d known she was religious, then I wouldn’t have come stoned to the house of such an angel too fucked up to get back home.”