The Highwomen

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

WarHenRecords

Re: The Highwomen

Post by WarHenRecords »

Zip City wrote:
WarHenRecords wrote:It just seems manufactured and not organic.
Knowing what I know about Shires and Carlile, I don't think they have a manufactured or phony bone in their bodies, and neither would allow themselves to be put into a "girl group" as a publicity stunt
Money talks.
This is my label > http://warhenrecords.bandcamp.com/
Label IG > @WarHenRecords

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

A few thoughts here.

People are free to find the concept corny or the name presumptuous or whatever, or to not like the songs. I've listened to the first single and thought it was fine. Nothing I'll probably return to very often, but I'm looking forward to the album.

Maren Morris is legitimately huge. I don't listen to her, but she's got like 15 million monthly listeners on Spotify. "The Middle" is closing in on a BILLION streams on Spotify alone (though it isn't remotely a country song). Brandi Carlile is also a pretty big star. Amanda Shires now has more monthly listeners than Drive-By Truckers do.

Does this mean they're cultural icons on the level of Cash, Waylon, Willie, or Kristofferson? No. But that's the whole point. Nashville is arguably doing WORSE today at cultivating and promoting female voices than it was in the 70s or 80s, which is just pathetic. How would a female country artist today possibly BECOME an icon, given the industry's seeming willingness to just churn out (male-performed) retreads of the same Friday night-beer-tailgate-barefoot-beach-dirt road horseshit we've been getting for the past, oh, 20 years or more? This week, as far as I can tell, only THREE of the top 20 songs on the country charts are performed by women.

Arguably the only contemporary female artist who has the combination of critical respect, country "authenticity," and commercial/radio success we'd be looking for here is Miranda Lambert. Taylor Swift is pretty well her own beast at this point, and she had to go outside of country music to become the megastar she's become. My point is, this group seems as good as any to execute this concept.

I didn't witness it in real time because I'm 32 years old, but wasn't the original Highwaymen project basically a gimmick? All of those guys were pretty well past their commercial primes at that point. Waylon was the youngest and he was pushing 50 years old when the first Highwaymen record came out. Those Highwaymen records also aren't very good, in my humble opinion, so it's not like it's hallowed ground, apart from the sterling reputations those artists had built many years earlier. From that standpoint, maybe the proposed group of older women is a good analogy. But the point (to me) is that in 20 years, we aren't likely to even have a Dolly-Reba-Emmylou-Lucinda-Allison to choose from if the industry doesn't shape the fuck up and start promoting its female talent.

Chris Stapleton is pointing to an appetite for authenticity among country fans. Tyler Childers sold out Red Rocks. There's a burgeoning market for this stuff, and women should lay claim to their share of it. I know everyone here would agree with that, so don't take this as an accusation that failure to like this project makes you a misogynist.

If this project helps move the zeitgeist (or whatever you want to call it) even a step in that direction, I'm all for it.
All it takes is one wicked heart, a pile of money, and a chain of folks just doing their jobs

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

WarHenRecords wrote:
Zip City wrote:
WarHenRecords wrote:It just seems manufactured and not organic.
Knowing what I know about Shires and Carlile, I don't think they have a manufactured or phony bone in their bodies, and neither would allow themselves to be put into a "girl group" as a publicity stunt
Money talks.
I'm not surprised that the guy who generally only shows up here to sell records thinks that everything is about money
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

scotto

Post by scotto »

Mundane Mayhem wrote:I didn't witness it in real time because I'm 32 years old, but wasn't the original Highwaymen project basically a gimmick?
Yes (although you could say the same thing about the Traveling Wilburys), and not a terribly successful one. In fact, the first album wasn't even The Highwaymen, it was by Waylon, Kris, Willie and Johnny and the album title was Highwayman.
But pedantism aside, country has always been gimmicky with pop aspirations, so, not my cup of tea, but good luck to 'em.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Damn this thread is getting nasty
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

Mundane Mayhem wrote:I didn't witness it in real time because I'm 32 years old, but wasn't the original Highwaymen project basically a gimmick? All of those guys were pretty well past their commercial primes at that point. Waylon was the youngest and he was pushing 50 years old when the first Highwaymen record came out. Those Highwaymen records also aren't very good, in my humble opinion, so it's not like it's hallowed ground, apart from the sterling reputations those artists had built many years earlier. From that standpoint, maybe the proposed group of older women is a good analogy. But the point (to me) is that in 20 years, we aren't likely to even have a Dolly-Reba-Emmylou-Lucinda-Allison to choose from if the industry doesn't shape the fuck up and start promoting its female talent.
A bit gimmicky, but this song is a classic.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

Will

Post by Will »

The third Highwaymen album is where it all finally came together. That one's just flat-out good from start to finish.

Back to the topic at hand, I like everything I've heard from The Highwomen so far and I'm looking forward to the record. I'm also a big fan of puns, so I'm all for the name.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

Zip City wrote:I'm not surprised that the guy who generally only shows up here to sell records thinks that everything is about money

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
Zip City wrote:I'm not surprised that the guy who generally only shows up here to sell records thinks that everything is about money

Why is everyone so bitchy on this thread? Johnny, Kris, Willie, Merle, Brandi, Amanda....come on....nothing but smiles.
Love each other, Motherfuckers!

whatwouldcooleydo?

pearlbeer wrote:

Why is everyone so bitchy on this thread? Johnny, Kris, Willie, Merle, Brandi, Amanda....come on....nothing but smiles.

WarHenRecords

Post by WarHenRecords »

That's a pretty good burn, not gonna lie.

Sorry I don't have an interest in something you do? I don't know what to tell you dude.
Also if you think the music industry isn't driven by money, even your favorite artists, I would love to try whatever it is you are having.
And for the record, no one buys the records I release anyway (here or anywhere), so if you think running a small record label is some kind of cash cow, well again... pass me those goods.

I got no beef with anyone.
I am not knocking the talent in the band either. I don't know anything about Morris or Hemby, but have seen both Shires & Carlile a bunch of times and they are great. I'm sure the others follow suit. If anything, my critique is of the industry and the presentation of this group more than anything.
I also think that if you want to listen to this project, then by all means. It is right in the wheelhouse of a lot of people here (as are the records I unsuccessfully try to hustle, but I digress). I'll probably give it a listen at some point too, and if it winds up to be good, then I will eat my words.
This is my label > http://warhenrecords.bandcamp.com/
Label IG > @WarHenRecords

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

There really isn’t much to moderate around here anymore, and I’m not really doing that here, but the vitriol being thrown around is disturbing. Warren had an opinion and it wasn’t out of left field. Supergroups have been put together by record companies for decades and they're usually about money. Traveling Wilburys, who someone brought up, almost certainly was and with a couple of exceptions wasn’t very good. The Highwaymen was probably the same, although it does have a certain legendary status. That doesn’t mean those artists weren’t 100% invested in what they were doing. The two aren’t mutually exclusive. Aside from Amanda Shires, whose music I actually enjoy a fair bit more than her husband’s, I don’t know these women or their work. That said I’m certain they are sincere and I like the song that I heard. The fact that four popular, strong women are making high profile music together is a fantastic thing and hopefully an entry way to country and American music for a lot of women and girls who will see themselves in these women. None of that means it can’t be criticized and I don’t see anything inappropriate here except some sniping among you that seemed out of proportion to the original comment. You want to follow the example of a great, great female artist? Heed the words of Patti Smith, love each other motherfuckers.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

I loved both them bands, motherfuckers!
and the rest as they say is uh er uh, well somebodies history somewhere?

Wolf

Post by Wolf »

saw the Highwomen yesterday at Newport folk fest. they were beautiful and they killed it. Jason was with them
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlvCcwynz2o

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:There really isn’t much to moderate around here anymore, and I’m not really doing that here, but the vitriol being thrown around is disturbing. Warren had an opinion and it wasn’t out of left field. Supergroups have been put together by record companies for decades and they're usually about money. Traveling Wilburys, who someone brought up, almost certainly was and with a couple of exceptions wasn’t very good. The Highwaymen was probably the same, although it does have a certain legendary status. That doesn’t mean those artists weren’t 100% invested in what they were doing. The two aren’t mutually exclusive. Aside from Amanda Shires, whose music I actually enjoy a fair bit more than her husband’s, I don’t know these women or their work. That said I’m certain they are sincere and I like the song that I heard. The fact that four popular, strong women are making high profile music together is a fantastic thing and hopefully an entry way to country and American music for a lot of women and girls who will see themselves in these women. None of that means it can’t be criticized and I don’t see anything inappropriate here except some sniping among you that seemed out of proportion to the original comment. You want to follow the example of a great, great female artist? Heed the words of Patti Smith, love each other motherfuckers.
Your homework is to listen to as much Brandi Carlisle as you can. There will be a quiz

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Wolf wrote:saw the Highwomen yesterday at Newport folk fest. they were beautiful and they killed it. Jason was with them
I liked that a lot

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Zip City wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:There really isn’t much to moderate around here anymore, and I’m not really doing that here, but the vitriol being thrown around is disturbing. Warren had an opinion and it wasn’t out of left field. Supergroups have been put together by record companies for decades and they're usually about money. Traveling Wilburys, who someone brought up, almost certainly was and with a couple of exceptions wasn’t very good. The Highwaymen was probably the same, although it does have a certain legendary status. That doesn’t mean those artists weren’t 100% invested in what they were doing. The two aren’t mutually exclusive. Aside from Amanda Shires, whose music I actually enjoy a fair bit more than her husband’s, I don’t know these women or their work. That said I’m certain they are sincere and I like the song that I heard. The fact that four popular, strong women are making high profile music together is a fantastic thing and hopefully an entry way to country and American music for a lot of women and girls who will see themselves in these women. None of that means it can’t be criticized and I don’t see anything inappropriate here except some sniping among you that seemed out of proportion to the original comment. You want to follow the example of a great, great female artist? Heed the words of Patti Smith, love each other motherfuckers.
Your homework is to listen to as much Brandi Carlisle as you can. There will be a quiz
Our sometimes member StevieRay has recommended her to me before as she's his daughter's favorite artist. He says the records are good but she excels live. I just haven't had the opportunity.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

She is excellent live.

roland

Post by roland »

Zip City wrote:
Wolf wrote:saw the Highwomen yesterday at Newport folk fest. they were beautiful and they killed it. Jason was with them
I liked that a lot
Unpopular opinion: If she wasn't married to Jason, Amanda Shires would be struggling to make rent. I just haven't liked anything she's done, and the Highwomen is probably worse than any of her records.

Even less popular: Shires is a pretty good fiddle player, but as a songwriter, she is ONE HELL of a fiddle player.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

I don't like Amanda Shires solo albums at all. I love her fiddle playing.

I still think "Redesigning Women" is great.

whatwouldcooleydo?

roland wrote:Unpopular opinion: If she wasn't married to Jason, Amanda Shires would be struggling to make rent
With you. Haven't listened to Highwomen yet but agree with what you said regarding her solo work. Seen her live several times and it just never takes with me very much

roland

Post by roland »

roland wrote:Unpopular opinion: If she wasn't married to Jason, Amanda Shires would be struggling to make rent
With you. Haven't listened to Highwomen yet but agree with what you said regarding her solo work. Seen her live several times and it just never takes with me very much
The fact that that she opens a lot of Jason’s shows turns me off as well. He can get much better openers, and she can’t get the gigs without the ring.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Down Fell the Doves is an excellent album.

And this thread has officially turned into a character assassination of Amanda. Fuck

whatwouldcooleydo?

Zip City wrote:Down Fell the Doves is an excellent album.

And this thread has officially turned into a character assassination of Amanda. Fuck
I’m not saying a thing regarding her character, I just don’t find her music to be anything special

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I’m not saying a thing regarding her character, I just don’t find her music to be anything special
A lot of people saying that without Jason, she'd be Shonna Tucker, playing for Billy Ray Cyrus

whatwouldcooleydo?

Zip City wrote:

A lot of people saying that without Jason, she'd be Shonna Tucker, playing for Billy Ray Cyrus
I take that to mean that her music isn’t good enough to give her the status she has without the connection to Jason. To me, that speaks to her music, not her character

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

We're splitting hairs. The implication is that Jason has dragged her on his coat tails. He may have increased her profile, but she had a fair amount of success before they met. She might not have been performing at Newport, but she was bound to have a good career touring and doing session work.

Would you say Kelly Hogan has a good career? I could see Amanda having that type of profile without Jason

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Yeah, I'm with Zip on this one. She had quite the resume before she & Jason even got together; I mean she was a adolescent prodigy who ended up in the Texas Playboys, which might not mean what it used to but it still has to count for something. Not saying she didn't benefit from Jason's rise, but she was already a lifer on her fifth album by the time they got together. Personally I like Down Fell the Doves & My Piece of Land better than Jason's last couple (I need to listen to To the Sunset more before I place it). I love her vocals and she's amazing on fiddle/violin, just check out her haunting Scarlet Rivera-esque parts on Todd Snider's Agnostic Hymns, she helped make that record what it is.
Last edited by Smitty on Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

We’ve seen her live almost annually for years. Love her shows. She can wrap an audience around her little finger. As for the records I prefer her stuff to her husband’s recent work. Not that his is bad, last years live re ord made me reevaluate some songs, but I listen to her stuff far more often.

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

Iowan wrote:I don't like Amanda Shires solo albums at all. I love her fiddle playing.

I still think "Redesigning Women" is great.
I really liked her latest album. Production wise it takes some interesting turns here and there. I hear 80s goth. Sisters of Mercy. Jason also allowing himself more freedom as a shredder than what seems to be the case on his own albums. (Same thing with Josh Ritter’s newest - lots of great JI guitarparts.)
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa