The Avett Brothers

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

rlove3

The Avett Brothers

Post by rlove3 »

i know i am a huge fan of theirs, and my good friend pittsyltucky can't stand them. wanna know everyone's opinions of them
Fish 5 days, Work 2.-Bahamian proverb

shakeywaits

Re: The Avett Brothers

Post by shakeywaits »

Big fan here too. Liked "Emotionalism" a lot when I first heard it but "I and Love and You" put them over the top for me...one of the best albums of 2009 and the title track is my favorite song from last year.
One foot in and one foot back; But it don't pay, to live like that
http://www.last.fm/user/bobbyg29

Flood18

Post by Flood18 »

They are either one of my favorite bands or unlistenable, just depends on my mood. For the record i do own all the albums and such, so i suppose im a pretty big supporter of theirs

rlove3

Post by rlove3 »

shakeywaits wrote:Big fan here too. Liked "Emotionalism" a lot when I first heard it but "I and Love and You" put them over the top for me...one of the best albums of 2009 and the title track is my favorite song from last year.

while i think I&L&U is a great album, i miss the more "raw" moments of their older stuff. like how four thieves gone sounded like a bunch of dudes recording in a living room in someone's cabin up in the mountains. and they don't scream enough live anymore. gurss thats the price you pay when a smaller band you love starts to hit it bigger
Fish 5 days, Work 2.-Bahamian proverb

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

like seeing them live a lot but not really into their studio stuff. Not sure why that is. Nice bunch of North Cackilacky boys
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

first heard them on CMT (title track I&L&Y)
got the album, wasn't blown away, dug the title track.
indifference.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

shuffle

Post by shuffle »

I haven't heard them although I've been meaning to. I've heard both that they're great from some, and that they're terrible from others (and I usually trust both groups musical opinions).
http://twitter.com/birdsneedfeet
http://www.birdsneedfeet.com/

Lone Wolf1

Post by Lone Wolf1 »

rlove3 wrote:i know i am a huge fan of theirs, and my good friend pittsyltucky can't stand them. wanna know everyone's opinions of them

i've tried to like them. kinda like Langhorn Slim. i just don't "get' them

Gator McKlusky

Post by Gator McKlusky »

I tried. Really couldn't get into them.
Looks like a bunch of little whiny fucksticks to me

whatwouldcooleydo?

Lone Wolf1 wrote:
rlove3 wrote:i know i am a huge fan of theirs, and my good friend pittsyltucky can't stand them. wanna know everyone's opinions of them

i've tried to like them. kinda like Langhorn Slim. i just don't "get' them

I saw Langhorne Slim open for them and really didn't dig him, though he does wear a jaunty hat and at a rakish angle

dee dee

Post by dee dee »

I'd never given them much of a chance until I & Love & You, but really enjoyed that one and have started to get into their back catalog. Looking forward to seeing them this summer.

Langhorne Slim is growing on me as well.

whatwouldcooleydo?

I would have liked to go to see the Avetts in Sacramento tonight, primarily because I really like the opening band, Truth and Salvage Co., but no dice

Speaking of the Avetts and Truth & Salvage, both are on a bill at Red Rocks with Gov't Mule in September. Don't really seeing a lot of Mule fans digging the Avetts, though they'll probably be into T&S

UncleFrank23

Post by UncleFrank23 »

Love 'em. I thought about making my screen name "Four Thieves Gone" when moving from 9B to 3DD, but it don't like them more than DBT so I decided against it.

Their ACL performance was off the charts, and I had I&L&U as my second favorite album of '09 (Josephine was #1).
Somewhere between anguish and acceptance.

Jeremy

Post by Jeremy »

Havent been able to get into them. Everytime I try, I jut find myself wishing I was listening to something else, so end up turning them off. Wife likes them a lot though. I havent seen them live yet, so that could change my mind. But they sell out pretty big venues in Western NC.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Jeremy wrote:Havent been able to get into them. Everytime I try, I jut find myself wishing I was listening to something else, so end up turning them off. Wife likes them a lot though. I havent seen them live yet, so that could change my mind. But they sell out pretty big venues in Western NC.

they are selling big venues here in Nor-Cal as well

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Dont know 'em that well, but like what i've heard w/out being crazy about 'em. Loved I And Love and You when i first heard it, but have settled into something more like "like" w/ it.
All opinions and commentary in my posts are solely my own and are made in my personal capacity.

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

don't think i have ever listened to an avett bros tune.

saw a little snippit on acl....seemed kinda like hippy brothers jonai.

lajakesdad

Post by lajakesdad »

I had I and Love and You but just thought it was ok. Then I saw ACL and was totally blown away. I went back and listened again and loved it. I now have all their albums and favor I&L&U, Emotionalism and Four Thieves Gone. They skipped L.A. this time through so I've yet to see them.

Mr. Boh

Post by Mr. Boh »

:dislike: