Is Miranda Lambert the Country Artist GOAT?

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

whatwouldcooleydo?

Re: Is Miranda Lambert the Country Artist GOAT?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

pearlbeer wrote:
whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
Smitty wrote:Ah, also conflicted regarding Freddy Fender, Johnny Rodriguez, Tompall Glaser and Jessi Colter.

I love "Love in the Hot Afternoon" :D and "Farewell Party". I have a strong dislike (and share your vibe of creepiness)of Conway, so he stays out, in spite of him being everyone's grandma's favorite singer.
I do love Hello Darling, it's a classic for a reason

Was gonna mention Fender, Rodriguez, and also Charley Pride
Meeting Charley Pride is my favorite celebrity story.
Even more than eating Bob Seger's popcorn? :lol:
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Smitty wrote:
bovine knievel wrote:No mention of Joe Ely? Not that he's the GOAT but he's definitely worthy of the list, based on the names being thrown around.
I put him in the category with Guy, TVZ, etc and tried to focus on the mainstream C&W industry. I'm not sure where those guys fit.
You beat me to it. I have basically the same take- I was taking the conversation we were having to be about "Nashville" country. I don't think of any of those Texas guys (Ely, Clark, TVZ, Gilmore, REK, Sahm, et al) as being that kind of music, so I didn't mention them. I recognize that those artists were filed under "country" back when record stores existed, but that's about as far as them being country goes in my book. Waylon and Willie each had more ties to Nashville, at least in the beginning, than these guys ever did, so that sets them apart from this bunch with respect to the discussion. And as always, take my advice, don't listen to me :lol:

I fuckin' love Joe Ely, he's one of my favorite artists, period. He and Doug Sahm are my favorite Texas songwriters/performers
Oddly enough, although I still consider him a Texas artist, I don't think Guy actually ever moved back to Texas after leaving for L.A. years before he ever made Old No.1. He may have been based in Tennessee his entire recording life but I would never consider him part of the Nashville scene.

Texas goats ;) cuz why the fuck not
(Some overlap)
INPO
Willie
Waylon
Guy
TVZ
JJW
Doug Sahm
Jimmie Dale Gilmore
Joe Ely
REK
Billy Joe Shaver
Lyle Lovett
Terry Allen
Gary P. Nunn
Steve Young
Blaze Foley
Steve Earle
Rodney Crowell
Bruce Robinson
Charlie Robison
Nanci Griffith
Kelly Willis
Hayes Carll
maybe Butch Hancock? I don't know any of his work outside the Flatlanders
maybe DAC? I've seen him on lots of compilations no and playlists as being a Texas artist, but he's from Ohio and I've never associated him with Texas. Maybe the association is because of Willie, Waylon & Me, the ultimate name-dropping song which I don't think anyone mentioned in the song probably liked.

I'm ambivalent towards or just plain don't like most Red Dirt artists, and of the more contemporary Texas artists the only ones worth a damn imo are Hates Carll (Arkansas is close enough), Charlie and Bruce Robison, Jack Ingram and maybe Pat Green sometimes.

I haven't really thought about it before, but besides Griffith and Willis (who I've also heard was a pain to work with but can't recall the source, possibly Zip?) Texas country definitely suffers from a lack of estrogen. I don't consider Lucinda "Texas country" despite her association with many of the above-listed. She's on the island of misfit toys with John Prine, Mickey Newbury, Steve Goodman, David Olney, etc. Maybe the Dixie Chicks?
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Hayes Carll is from Texas. He went to college in Arkansas.

Native of the Houston area, cut his teeth playing shows at Gulf Coast dives, particularly a resurrection of the Old Quarter.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Man what a thread! This is like the 3dd of old.

I'm surprised at you, Smitty. Some of the absences being absences while Garth Brooks is included. :? :D
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Cole Younger wrote:Man what a thread! This is like the 3dd of old.

I'm surprised at you, Smitty. Some of the absences being absences while Garth Brooks is included. :? :D
Like him or not, he certainly earned his spot and it'd be disingenous to leave him out of the conversation. He owes as much to KISS and Billy Joel as he does to Hank, but in hindsight he caught a lot more shit than he probably should have and his music wasn't that bad, in fact a lot of it was really good and had more country elements than some of the more lauded artists of the time. He also made country the singlemost popular genre in the country (and beyond), whether you consider that a net positive or not that was quite an achievement. Shit, for awhile there the only steel guitar to be found on country radio was in his songs and he made it a point to keep country instrumentation in his work. He's also been extremely loyal to his band and I think he's handled his post-retirement really honorably. I hardly ever listen to him on purpose although "Much Too Young (To Feel This Damn Old)" still holds up. I think he unfairly gets blamed for the "hat act" trend that nearly destroyed the industry in the nineties, but that's akin to blaming Nirvana for Bush or Silverchair. He was also a philanthropist who pushed for inclusiveness and equality in a way that only the most outspoken of bigots would disagree with. I think if the video for "We Shall Be Free" or even "the Dance" came out today he'd be crucified as some kind of liberal snowflake.

There were a few other nineties hat acts that cut through the bullshit like Clint Black and Mark Chesnutt and they probably deserve a spot on the list as much as a Lynn Anderson or Kathy Mattea.
I guess if I tried to be objective and represent the "best" from every era then Brooks & Dunn, Reba McEntire (who I used to loathe but have developed an appreciation for), Mary Chapin Carpenter (who I absolutely love and think she was the greatest thing on country radio in the nineties, but that was a fluke and like the Mavericks I don't necessarily consider her a country artist) Tim McGraw, Trisha Yearwood, Kenny Chesney, Martina McBride, Faith Hill, Joe Diffie, :? Leann Rimes, :? Shania Twain :? and Brad Paisley would be there as well, but all that would do is underline just how far the bar had lowered by that time. It just feels like we're getting into b-team territory. I also kinda wrote off the aughts because of the dearth of memorable artists from that decade (of course it also coincided with the end of me listening to country radio). The only decent ones from that decade (aside from quality holdovers from the 90's like Chesney, Paisley, McBride and McGraw) are Miranda (we've come full circle!), Jamey Johnson, maybe Dierks Bentley, Keith Urban, Carrie Underwood, and fuck Idk. I purposely avoided trite shit like Tony Keith, Jason Aldean and Montgomery Gentry because fuck 'em.
The 10's belong to the women: Kacey Musgraves and Miranda. Maybe Chris Stapleton & Darius Rucker.
I also purposely left out Taylor Swift and Maren Morris cuz pop (which is inconsistent as fuck on my part) and absolute trash like Luke Bryan and FGL.

I mean if the list represented entrants in round robin tournament or something a large portion would be eliminated quickly, but I think they earned their spots.

Note I'm stoned af, so forgive me if this was too freewheeling.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Smitty wrote:I purposely avoided trite shit like Tony Keith, Jason Aldean and Montgomery Gentry because fuck 'em.
yet you still tried to get them to sign your titties

When I am in power wearing a hat like that fuck in Montgomery Gentry wears will be a hangin' offense

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Smitty wrote:
Cole Younger wrote:Man what a thread! This is like the 3dd of old.

Like him or not, he certainly earned his spot and it'd be disingenous to leave him out of the conversation. He owes as much to KISS and Billy Joel as he does to Hank, but in hindsight he caught a lot more shit than he probably should have and his music wasn't that bad, in fact a lot of it was really good and had more country elements than some of the more lauded artists of the time. He also made country the singlemost popular genre in the country (and beyond), whether you consider that a net positive or not that was quite an achievement. Shit, for awhile there the only steel guitar to be found on country radio was in his songs and he made it a point to keep country instrumentation in his work. He's also been extremely loyal to his band and I think he's handled his post-retirement really honorably. I hardly ever listen to him on purpose although "Much Too Young (To Feel This Damn Old)" still holds up. I think he unfairly gets blamed for the "hat act" trend that nearly destroyed the industry in the nineties, but that's akin to blaming Nirvana for Bush or Silverchair. He was also a philanthropist who pushed for inclusiveness and equality in a way that only the most outspoken of bigots would disagree with. I think if the video for "We Shall Be Free" or even "the Dance" came out today he'd be crucified as some kind of liberal snowflake.

There were a few other nineties hat acts that cut through the bullshit like Clint Black and Mark Chesnutt and they probably deserve a spot on the list as much as a Lynn Anderson or Kathy Mattea.
I guess if I tried to be objective and represent the "best" from every era then Brooks & Dunn, Reba McEntire (who I used to loathe but have developed an appreciation for), Mary Chapin Carpenter (who I absolutely love and think she was the greatest thing on country radio in the nineties, but that was a fluke and like the Mavericks I don't necessarily consider her a country artist) Tim McGraw, Trisha Yearwood, Kenny Chesney, Martina McBride, Faith Hill, Joe Diffie, :? Leann Rimes, :? Shania Twain :? and Brad Paisley would be there as well, but all that would do is underline just how far the bar had lowered by that time. It just feels like we're getting into b-team territory. I also kinda wrote off the aughts because of the dearth of memorable artists from that decade (of course it also coincided with the end of me listening to country radio). The only decent ones from that decade (aside from quality holdovers from the 90's like Chesney, Paisley, McBride and McGraw) are Miranda (we've come full circle!), Jamey Johnson, maybe Dierks Bentley, Keith Urban, Carrie Underwood, and fuck Idk. I purposely avoided trite shit like Tony Keith, Jason Aldean and Montgomery Gentry because fuck 'em.
The 10's belong to the women: Kacey Musgraves and Miranda. Maybe Chris Stapleton & Darius Rucker.
I also purposely left out Taylor Swift and Maren Morris cuz pop (which is inconsistent as fuck on my part) and absolute trash like Luke Bryan and FGL.

I mean if the list represented entrants in round robin tournament or something a large portion would be eliminated quickly, but I think they earned their spots.

Note I'm stoned af, so forgive me if this was too freewheeling.
First, I just can't stomach Garth Brooks. I have a really out of character reaction to him in that he makes me cuss when someone mentions him or I hear one of his songs. I usually laugh at people who react that way to any artist. I mean just don't listen to them, you know? But there is something about him that makes my skin crawl. I will admit to liking him when No Fences came out. I was about 13 at the time and had suddenly stopped thinking of country as old people's music even though I had loved it as a child. No Fences lead me to his first one. I liked it too although even then I found some of those songs cringe worthy (Looking at you, Nobody Gets Off in This Town, although that title is hilarious now that I think about it. And at you, Alabama Clay which was almost a good song). But when Ropin The Wind came out I suddenly couldn't stand him. Its weird but I went from liking to not being able stand him almost over night. When I think about it, I really think it was a live performance of Shameless on an awards show that turned the tide as well as my stomach. To this day if I hear that song I'll start cussing and I can't change the station fast enough. I know that sounds funny but Im being serious. And now it's like he's been around long enough that a lot of the people who used to make fun of him and thought he was as cheesy as I still do are now acting like he's somebody whose music should be taken seriously. I just can't do it. I feel the same way that I felt when I realized Justin Timberlake was being taken seriously. It's what I imagine coming down from an acid trip being like.

Anyway, enough about him other than I will say, New Way To Fly off No Fences is a damn fine country song. If he was capable of that I don't know why he didn't do more of it.

You mentioned Clint Black and Mark Chesnutt. Both have made some BAD music. So bad that I get embarrassed listening to it. Bubba Shot The Jukebox? Good Lord! GOING Through The Big D? Yuck. But Too Hold At Home and Brother Jukebox are songs I still enjoy. Clint Black's first album is pretty good. After that it was like each one was him trying to top himself seeing how cheesy he could be and still have los if people buy his albums. I would add Alan Jackson's Neon Rainbow album to this bunch. He went the same route as those other two after that.

Later on in your post is when I realized I don't understand how we are ranking this stuff and where the line is between what is good and what is clearly craptastic. Kenny Chesney, Tim McGraw, Keith Urban and Dierks Bentley are quality holdovers from the nineties? Good Lord I wouldn't put the word quality anywhere near them unless the word poor was in front of it. They're ok but Toby Keith and Montgomery Getntry aren't? They seem like turds out of the same batch to me. Like the exact same.

Agree on The Mavericks. Love them.

Did Keith Whitley make the list? I didn't see his name.

Don't take any of this like I'm giving you real shit. We both love country and I enjoyed your post.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Smitty wrote:I purposely avoided trite shit like Tony Keith, Jason Aldean and Montgomery Gentry because fuck 'em.
yet you still tried to get them to sign your titties

When I am in power wearing a hat like that fuck in Montgomery Gentry wears will be a hangin' offense
Axl Rose wears one of those now too.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

I might as well have been president of the Garth Brooks hater fan club for most of my life. He was second concert (I think) in my pre-kindergarten days; could've been first but I think that was Alabama's June Jam which my parents used to attend every year (my first concert I remember was Billy Ray Cyrus, ugh). I do vaguely remember seeing him on the Chase, In Pieces and Fresh Horses tours and I wore the way oversized tour t shirts in elementary school to prove it (they meshed well with my spiked hair and rat tail, lol). Fuck, we even sang "The River" at my six-grade graduation (we also sang "Time of Your Life" by Greenday which turned into a scandal as no one noticed the "fuck" after the false start until it blared over the elementary gym speakers, lol). With that said, as soon as my own musical tastes evolved past whatever my parents listened to, I immediately became disgusted with the very idea of Garth Brooks. He was the anti-Hank, a marketing major who was a bigger fan of Elton John than Willie Nelson, who made corny songs for middle-aged housewives and helped excise whatever authenticity country had leftover from the Urban Cowboy era. And that's still true! He made some ridiculously bad music and his catapulting country music into the default genre for American radio had an overall negative affect on the quality going forward.
But, looking back it was kind of inevitable and I actually halfway tried to be objective place personal taste aside while making the original list and if you stand back at look at country music from a historical perspective, he undeniably belongs in the discussion. The central dilemma in C&W has always been the push and pull between keeping it real while at the same time selling it uptown. That conflict colored some of the greatest moments in country music history, whether it was Hank having drums in his band or Chet Atkins adding strings and taking it "uptown" or marketing Willie & Waylon as "outlaws" because they wore leather vests and bandanas or Dolly Parton and Kenny Rogers incorporating a disco aesthetic to their duets (you get my drift) no one ever made any illusions that the ultimate goal was to appeal to the largest possible audience while still staying true to their roots and respecting those who came before. The second part is what differentiates country than pop, and one major facet of that was that it was intended for your average everyman (or everywoman) while pop was meant more for youth. What set Garth apart was his influences fell from outside the country realm (which in itself wasn't anything new), but he incorporated rock-star theatrics into a country show (which was revolutionary) and his songs were smooth as James Taylor, easily digestible, unobtrusive and missing the ruralness that would turn off those who listened to soft-rock and pop growing up instead of country while keeping just enough country elements (songs about going to the bar and getting drunk, fiddle and pedal steel, etc) to satisfy your average country fan and keep them from feeling patronized. It was brilliantly inoffensive and it succeeded where others failed (or at least to a multitudes bigger degree than they succeeded). But the songs, so completely edgeless that even the controversies seemed ridiculous and , weren't terrible for what they are. They weren't intended for purists or critics, they were comfort food for the common adult, the casual listener, which honestly is the point of the country music industry. It's unchallenging music for folks like my mom, but honestly especially compared to a lot of nineties country, it's not terrible. I wouldn't ever purposely put it on (except for "Much Too Young", which is a good damn country song) but if I'm at some chain steakhouse and they put on "Calling Baton Rouge", well that's a million times better than say "I Wanna Talk About Me" or "Red Solo Cup". *shrugs*

So that's why from a purely cultural perspective, I don't know that any country star aside from Hank Williams or Johnny Cash has made such a widespread mark on pop culture. Maybe Willie Nelson, but he (and Cash, to an extent) seem to exist outside the confines of "country star". Garth is the Michael Jackson of country music, and unlike others who blew up later **cough**Taylor Swift**cough** he did it without betraying the most important element that sets country apart from other genres, and that's making music for adults. It may be McDonald's but at least it's not a Happy meal ;)
The moment when mainstream country completely jumped the shark IMO is when it lost that element and started aiming solely for the youth market. I think that's largely what's caused the Americana renaissance; that's the last refuge of the adult music fan.

I totally didn't intend to give a history lesson, just to explain how I learned to relax and give the devil it's due.
Last edited by Smitty on Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

I'll respond to your other points later (I wore myself out on that last post, lol) but you mentioned Brother Jukebox, and I was wondering if you ever heard the original? I first heard it a couple years back and it blows away Chesnut's version. A primo country-rock nugget.

Keith's ain't half bad either, but it still doesn't compare to Don's.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Smitty wrote:I might as well have been president of the Garth Brooks hater fan club for most of my life. He was second concert (I think) in my pre-kindergarten days; could've been first but I think that was Alabama's June Jam which my parents used to attend every year (my first concert I remember was Billy Ray Cyrus, ugh). I do vaguely remember seeing him on the Chase, In Pieces and Fresh Horses tours and I wore the way oversized tour t shirts in elementary school to prove it (they meshed well with my spiked hair and rat tail, lol). Fuck, we even sang "The River" at my six-grade graduation (we also sang "Time of Your Life" by Greenday which turned into a scandal as no one noticed the "fuck" after the false start until it blared over the elementary gym speakers, lol). With that said, as soon as my own musical tastes evolved past whatever my parents listened to, I immediately became disgusted with the very idea of Garth Brooks. He was the anti-Hank, a marketing major who was a bigger fan of Elton John than Willie Nelson, who made corny songs for middle-aged housewives and helped excise whatever authenticity country had leftover from the Urban Cowboy era. And that's still true! He made some ridiculously bad music and his catapulting country music into the default genre for American radio had an overall negative affect on the quality going forward.
But, looking back it was kind of inevitable and I actually halfway tried to be objective place personal taste aside while making the original list and if you stand back at look at country music from a historical perspective, he undeniably belongs in the discussion. The central dilemma in C&W has always been the push and pull between keeping it real while at the same time selling it uptown. That conflict colored some of the greatest moments in country music history, whether it was Hank having drums in his band or Chet Atkins adding strings and taking it "uptown" or marketing Willie & Waylon as "outlaws" because they wore leather vests and bandanas or Dolly Parton and Kenny Rogers incorporating a disco aesthetic to their duets (you get my drift) no one ever made any illusions that the ultimate goal was to appeal to the largest possible audience while still staying true to their roots and respecting those who came before. The second part is what differentiates country than pop, and one major facet of that was that it was intended for your average everyman (or everywoman) while pop was meant more for youth. What set Garth apart was his influences fell from outside the country realm (which in itself wasn't anything new), but he incorporated rock-star theatrics into a country show (which was revolutionary) and his songs were smooth as James Taylor, easily digestible, unobtrusive and missing the ruralness that would turn off those who listened to soft-rock and pop growing up instead of country while keeping just enough country elements (songs about going to the bar and getting drunk, fiddle and pedal steel, etc) to satisfy your average country fan and keep them from feeling patronized. It was brilliantly inoffensive and it succeeded where others failed (or at least to a multitudes bigger degree than they succeeded). But the songs, so completely edgeless that even the controversies seemed ridiculous and , weren't terrible for what they are. They weren't intended for purists or critics, they were comfort food for the common adult, the casual listener, which honestly is the point of the country music industry. It's unchallenging music for folks like my mom, but honestly especially compared to a lot of nineties country, it's not terrible. I wouldn't ever purposely put it on (except for "Much Too Young", which is a good damn country song) but if I'm at some chain steakhouse and they put on "Calling Baton Rouge", well that's a million times better than say "I Wanna Talk About Me" or "Red Solo Cup". *shrugs*

So that's why from a purely cultural perspective, I don't know that any country star aside from Hank Williams or Johnny Cash has made such a widespread mark on pop culture. Maybe Willie Nelson, but he (and Cash, to an extent) seem to exist outside the confines of "country star". Garth is the Michael Jackson of country music, and unlike others who blew up later **cough**Taylor Swift**cough** he did it without betraying the most important element that sets country apart from other genres, and that's making music for adults. It may be McDonald's but at least it's not a Happy meal ;)
The moment when mainstream country completely jumped the shark IMO is when it lost that element and started aiming solely for the youth market. I think that's largely what's caused the Americana renaissance; that's the last refuge of the adult music fan.

I totally didn't intend to give a history lesson, just to explain how I learned to relax and give the devil it's due.
Man good post. I still don't like him but I better understand where you're coming from. Fairly or unfairly he represents all that is wrong with country music to me. I feel like there would be no bro country without him. Having said that, I see Eric Church, who I can't stand, as more of the natural progression from Garth Brooks rather than Luke Bryan being that.

I enjoyed the Don Everly Brother Jukebox. I think I had known at one time that it was a cover but had forgotten until you mentioned it. Keith's was good too of course but it was odd hearing him sing it for some reason.

I'm looking forward to hearing what else you have to say on this. I mean that.

whatwouldcooleydo?

boyyourself

Post by boyyourself »

A friend of mine gave Garth his first ever gig at Tumbleweeds in Stillwater. So I guess we have him to blame/thank. Same guy just stepped down as defensive coordinator for Florida Atlantic University.
We do have Garth to thank for putting Chris Ledoux on the map. As a rodeo kid we had already discovered him before Much Too Young came out. “A worn out tape of Chris Ledoux” still sort of chokes me up when I hear that line and we lost Chris much too soon.
I’ve really been enjoying Prime Country on satellite radio. My eleven yr old thinks it’s unbelievable how many songs I know all the words to from that channel. Spent a lot of time on the tractor in the 80’s sweetie. And we only recieved one radio station.
But man when they play stuff from the nineties on that station I cannot seem to get the channel changed quick enough.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

What do you folks who know something about country music (and pseudo country music) think about analogizing Garth Brooks to Kenny G?

PS Good stuff, Smitty and CY. Always love a thoughtful convo about music.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

beantownbubba wrote:What do you folks who know something about country music (and pseudo country music) think about analogizing Garth Brooks to Kenny G?

PS Good stuff, Smitty and CY. Always love a thoughtful convo about music.
Garth Brooks is the Kenny G of country? Lol. I’ll allow it.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

That doesn't seem like a great comparison. Kenny G seems to be making elevator music on purpose.
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Zip City wrote:That doesn't seem like a great comparison. Kenny G seems to be making elevator music on purpose.
Frankly I don't know much about Kenny G's career since its early days and I haven't intentionally listened to his music in something close to forever. But as I remember it, at least early in his career he presented himself as a "real" jazz player.

scotto

Post by scotto »

If you want to test your hypothesis, reverse it: Is Kenny G the Garth Brooks of jazz?
To me, Garth is just mind-numbingly mediocre, while Kenny G is jab-a-fork-in-your-eyeball irritating (or maybe I haven't listened to enough Garth Brooks, who knows?).
Maybe Garth Brooks is more analogous to Bob James.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

scotto wrote:If you want to test your hypothesis, reverse it: Is Kenny G the Garth Brooks of jazz?
To me, Garth is just mind-numbingly mediocre, while Kenny G is jab-a-fork-in-your-eyeball irritating (or maybe I haven't listened to enough Garth Brooks, who knows?).
Maybe Garth Brooks is more analogous to Bob James.
Like.

Nay, Love.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Zip City wrote:That doesn't seem like a great comparison. Kenny G seems to be making elevator music on purpose.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That should be on his business card."Making elevator music on purpose since 1982"
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

I had some Garth CDs as a kid. Haven’t really listened to him since. Good excuse to share this, though. Todd Snider on meeting Garth Brooks:

https://americansongwriter.com/2014/05/ ... d-excerpt/
All it takes is one wicked heart, a pile of money, and a chain of folks just doing their jobs

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Mundane Mayhem wrote:I had some Garth CDs as a kid. Haven’t really listened to him since. Good excuse to share this, though. Todd Snider on meeting Garth Brooks:

Lol. Yeah I had seen that before and it's hilarious. I don't know if y'all knew this already but there is a running joke on Twitter where people ask Garth Brooks where he burries his victims in reference to his just being so dang weird and creepy in interviews.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Cole Younger wrote:
Mundane Mayhem wrote:I had some Garth CDs as a kid. Haven’t really listened to him since. Good excuse to share this, though. Todd Snider on meeting Garth Brooks:

Lol. Yeah I had seen that before and it's hilarious. I don't know if y'all knew this already but there is a running joke on Twitter where people ask Garth Brooks where he burries his victims in reference to his just being so dang weird and creepy in interviews.
It all stems back to Your Mom’s House podcast finding his extremely awkward social media videos.

whatwouldcooleydo?

82 posts in and not one mention of the mighty Red Sovine..... until now

Flea

Post by Flea »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:82 posts in and not one mention of the mighty Red Sovine..... until now
Or Slim

Now it's dark.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:82 posts in and not one mention of the mighty Red Sovine..... until now
Or Red Foley

Or Dave Dudley, Jean Shepherd, Wynn Stewart, Henson Cargill, Johnny Russell, Dick Curless, Red Simpson, Claude King, Cal Smith, Little Jimmy Dickens, T. Graham Shepherd, Boxcar Willie, Grandpa Jones, George Hamilton IV, Eddie Raven, Johnny Bush, Jeanie Sealy, Jeannie C. Riley...

whatwouldcooleydo?

Del Reeves

whatwouldcooleydo?

DBT needs to do some Red Sovine & Dave Dudley. Perhaps a medley

whatwouldcooleydo?

Johnny Russell rules, if for nothing other than Catfish John!

Posting from a brewery in Sac

scotto

Post by scotto »

And Stringbean. Don't forget Stringbean.