New solo Springsteen record coming in June

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Clams

New solo Springsteen record coming in June

Post by Clams »

It's called Western Stars. One of the tracks Hello Sunshine is being released later today.

Here's the press release:
https://shorefire.com/releases/entry/br ... ds-june-14

IMO it's been quite a while since Springsteen's released a high quality batch of new material (Magic in 2007). I'm looking forward to this one.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Flea

Re: New solo Springsteen record coming in June

Post by Flea »

I kind of like it, but the orchestration seems a bit schmaltzy. A nice Hammond B3 would have worked better, I think.
Last edited by Flea on Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Now it's dark.

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

I don't hate the new song but if this is the lead single?

Good news David Sancious is on this new record!
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

Clams

Post by Clams »

Rocky wrote:I don't hate the new song but if this is the lead single?
I'm guessing this song is a metaphor for depression (something Springsteen's talked about a lot over the last few years)

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Clams wrote:I'm guessing this song is a metaphor for depression (something Springsteen's talked about a lot over the last few years)
Shades of "Sun Don't Shine" which some here might be familiar with :)
Rocky wrote:Good news David Sancious is on this new record!
Yes!
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Zip Up to Michigan

Post by Zip Up to Michigan »

Not a bad tune but if this is the best the new record has to offer, we're in trouble.

Flea

Post by Flea »

Zip Up to Michigan wrote:Not a bad tune but if this is the best the new record has to offer, we're in trouble.
Don't let Kev hear you say that...
Now it's dark.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

^^^ Well damn. This looks good. Thanks for the heads up.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Here's an early (and positive) review by Dan DeLuca in the Phila Inquirer

https://www.inquirer.com/entertainment/ ... 90606.html

Clams

Post by Clams »

Now, on the brink of his 70th birthday, Bruce has released Western Stars, an absolutely gorgeous collection of excellent songs. It’s an album that pushes him into new, uncharted territories as a singer and performer, all while standing proudly alongside his classic albums of yesteryear.
P Hood's take on Western Stars:

http://read.tidal.com/article/patterson ... tern-stars

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Clams wrote:
Now, on the brink of his 70th birthday, Bruce has released Western Stars, an absolutely gorgeous collection of excellent songs. It’s an album that pushes him into new, uncharted territories as a singer and performer, all while standing proudly alongside his classic albums of yesteryear.
P Hood's take on Western Stars:

http://read.tidal.com/article/patterson ... tern-stars
The duality of the Boss.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

listened to western stars. it lives up to the hype & possibly more. stellar.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Here's another video

My initial thoughts on the record: I really really really want to like this record. I respect the concept and what he's trying to do and I like the lyrics. But I just CAN"T STAND the strings and overblown orchestration. At this point in my life I know what I like and what I don't and this type of sound is just so far outside of my wheelhouse. I'll listen and I'll try to like it and maybe it'll be a grower. Or maybe it won't.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Rolling Stone gave the new Springsteen their lowest review in 25 years

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/musi ... ars-842052
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

roland

Post by roland »

First impression is that it's OK, not great. Devils and Dust was a much better solo effort.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Zip City wrote:Rolling Stone gave the new Springsteen their lowest review in 25 years

Still a four star review and I largely agree with the text. Springsteen shoots for a target here and he largely nails it, although I will admit that the last few songs on the album aren't nearly as good as the first several. Here's the funny thing, this is the first record of his that's resonated with me since Born in the USA (which I then promptly bored of and abandoned his work for a long time) and it's likely going to be the the first record after Nebraska that I put in semi-regular rotation. I didn't want to like this album. I gave it a listen because I felt obligated to given the praise it was getting and it knocked my socks off. I have fond memories of those lushly produced C&W records a-la Glenn Campbell and who'd a thunk someone would revise that sound?
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Zip City wrote:Rolling Stone gave the new Springsteen their lowest review in 25 years

Still a four star review and I largely agree with the text. Springsteen shoots for a target here and he largely nails it, although I will admit that the last few songs on the album aren't nearly as good as the first several. Here's the funny thing, this is the first record of his that's resonated with me since Born in the USA (which I then promptly bored of and abandoned his work for a long time) and it's likely going to be the the first record after Nebraska that I put in semi-regular rotation. I didn't want to like this album. I gave it a listen because I felt obligated to given the praise it was getting and it knocked my socks off. I have fond memories of those lushly produced C&W records a-la Glenn Campbell and who'd a thunk someone would revise that sound?
I can remember (I'm 58) listening to Glen Campbell on AM in the car with my family. "Gentle on my Mind", "Galveston" & "Wichita Lineman" were huge. "Wichita Lineman" may be 1 of the greatest singles ever. My first Bruce show was when I was in high school at the beginning of the Darkness tour in a 2500 seat theater. Magic. He came back & played a small arena at the end of the tour (same week as Winterland December 1978) & that was fantastic too. Then 2 shows on the original River tour. After that he got huge & I started losing some interest. The new fan base started getting irritating & by 2002 I was just bored (exception: the Human Touch/Lucky Town tour. Saw a fantastic show in Worcester MA that tour). Think I even skipped some shows. The I went to the River show a few years ago. I saw a stunner. Almost 4 hours & Bruce was on! So, interest has been rekindled. The book was good, I liked the Broadway show & he was great in Lillyhammer haha. As far as I'm concerned the new record is keeping this late career resurgence going in a major way. I'm almost ready to ditch E Street. It's been done. Would be more interested in seeing what would happen with other musicians now. Like Patterson said in his review, some theater shows for this record with the strings & everything could be real good. & Bruce's voice on this record is a revelation!

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:

Still a four star review
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

chuckrh wrote:(exception: the Human Touch/Lucky Town tour. Saw a fantastic show in Worcester MA that tour).
I was there :) I don't remember the show quite as fondly as you do, but I thought it was good. Perhaps that's why I'm not quite ready to give up on the E Streeters in favor of other musicians, though it obviously depends on who those musicians are (the Seeger Sessions band was great).

Right now, I feel obligated to listen to the new record and I've discovered that I don't do well w/ records I feel obligated to listen to so I haven't gotten around to this one yet. I undoubtedly will at some point. It's an odd place to be, not being all over a new Springsteen record and I don't like the feeling. But as they say, it is what it is. Based on the couple of songs I have heard, I think Clams is right (I will deny ever saying that!) that Springsteen hit what he aimed for, the question is was it a worthwhile target?

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

beantownbubba wrote:
chuckrh wrote:(exception: the Human Touch/Lucky Town tour. Saw a fantastic show in Worcester MA that tour).
I was there :) I don't remember the show quite as fondly as you do, but I thought it was good. Perhaps that's why I'm not quite ready to give up on the E Streeters in favor of other musicians, though it obviously depends on who those musicians are (the Seeger Sessions band was great).

Right now, I feel obligated to listen to the new record and I've discovered that I don't do well w/ records I feel obligated to listen to so I haven't gotten around to this one yet. I undoubtedly will at some point. It's an odd place to be, not being all over a new Springsteen record and I don't like the feeling. But as they say, it is what it is. Based on the couple of songs I have heard, I think Clams is right (I will deny ever saying that!) that Springsteen hit what he aimed for, the question is was it a worthwhile target?
that Worcester show was another good one from the record label schmooze days. i was back east on vacation, based in NYC but was doing a bit of day tripping. i was essentially sitting on the stage for that show!!!! discovered Legal Seafood that trip. yum! & i live in seafood world here in seattle. best time to get into the new record: sunday morning with some good coffee & the sunday sports page. :)

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

beantownbubba wrote:

I find it funny that a few huge Springsteen fans that I know are lukewarm to this record at best and for me it's the only thing he's done worth repeated listening in thirty years. I've listened to it at least once every day since it came out.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

My favorite song by far is Moonlight Motel. I definitely like this more than anything since ToL. GoTJ has some amazing writing but sounds like shit and D&D and Magic both have their moments but this is something else.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

bellevillemusic

Post by bellevillemusic »

Easily his best in 30+ years.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/musi ... lm-857487/

Bruce Springsteen was driving back from the gym this morning when he called up SiriusXM’s E Street Radio to chat with hosts Dave Marsh and Jim Rotolo. During the ten-minute conversation, he revealed that filmmaker Thom Zimny shot a film where he plays his new record Western Stars from start to finish.

“We knew we weren’t going to tour,” Springsteen said, “so I was looking for a way to get some of the music live to an audience and so we figured that was the best way to do it. We’re looking forward to getting it to the fans when we can.” Springsteen has done no interviews since Western Stars came out on June 14th and this is the first confirmation that there will be no tour of any kind in support of it.

plus there are these new proshot videos from 1973

Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

To say that Bruce has underwhelmed me for a while now would be an understatement. It had gotten so bad one of my buddies asked me if I even liked Bruce the artist anymore.

I gave Western Stars a spin over the weekend and I have to say it's his best record since The Rising. It's as out of left field as Nebraska was when it first came out. There are 3 or 4 throwaways but...... there are 3 or 4 songs that I would say could be considered classics. Big time come back as far as I'm concerned.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:https://www.rollingstone.com/music/musi ... lm-857487/

Bruce Springsteen was driving back from the gym this morning when he called up SiriusXM’s E Street Radio to chat with hosts Dave Marsh and Jim Rotolo. During the ten-minute conversation, he revealed that filmmaker Thom Zimny shot a film where he plays his new record Western Stars from start to finish.

“We knew we weren’t going to tour,” Springsteen said, “so I was looking for a way to get some of the music live to an audience and so we figured that was the best way to do it. We’re looking forward to getting it to the fans when we can.” Springsteen has done no interviews since Western Stars came out on June 14th and this is the first confirmation that there will be no tour of any kind in support of it.

plus there are these new proshot videos from 1973

there's more

Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

So I've finally listened to Western Stars enough to feel like I can comment on it, subject to the general caveat that my critical listening ear has admittedly atrophied in recent years.

I am tempted to say that I am baffled by this album, but that's not it at all. I get what Springsteen's trying to do here and to the extent I get it I think it's fair to say he nailed it. In one sense, that should be the end of a very brief discussion. But...

The bottom line for me, the real acid test for any new album by any artist I'm familiar with is what would I think if I didn't know who the artist is? On that basis this album fails abysmally because my best guess is that I wouldn't make it through one whole listen if I didn't know it was Bruce Springsteen. I find the music unappealing, not up my alley and mostly boring.

But the actual truth is somewhere in the middle: There are some really good songs here. Enough to form the basis of a really good album if the songs were done in the styles I want them done in (that's a joke folks). Several songs here, e.g. the one about Tuscon and Western Stars would imho be great Nebraska style. Another one the name of which escapes me at the moment struck me immediately as one that should have been done more like The Wild, The Innocent (possibly "chasing wild horses"?). The last song ('moonlight motel" or ssomething close to that) seems to me to be potentially a great song if it wasn't done in the Glen Campbell-like style it was intentionally done in.

So, Springsteen made the album he wanted to make and good for him. I didn't care for that album, which is my choice/taste. Me and Bruce, we used to be in perfect sync, but you know, those glory days, they fade.

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

My favorite songs are Hitch Hikin’, Western Stars and Moonlight Motel.

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

beantownbubba wrote:
So, Springsteen made the album he wanted to make and good for him. I didn't care for that album, which is my choice/taste. Me and Bruce, we used to be in perfect sync, but you know, those glory days, they fade.
Glory days don't fade, they pass you by.
Love each other, Motherfuckers!