Who's In the Band?

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

beantownbubba

Who's In the Band?

Post by beantownbubba »

An interesting if ultimately mediocre article on a topic that's been discussed here numerous times. Worth a couple of your minutes.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/22/arts ... 5647280324
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

scotto

Re: Who's In the Band?

Post by scotto »

Good read. But I wouldn't exactly call "The Hoople" "anticlimactic."

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

My personal take:

Bands from the 60's and 70's who are still touring is fine, but I don't expect the majority of the original members to still want to perform. A lot of people in their 60's and 70's just want to play golf and enjoy retirement. So if some band only has 1 or 2 of the original 5 members touring, so be it.

That said, I wouldn't go see one of these bands if the original singer is no longer with the band. Why go see Journey without Steve Perry? Or Chicago without Peter Cetera? Would you go see a Led Zeppelin reunion without Robert Plant? If the bass player or drummer just joined the tour last Tuesday, I don't know that I would know or care.

Now for some fans, all they care about is hearing the songs they love, regardless of who is playing them, and that's great. It's just not for me.
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Zip City wrote:Why go see Journey without Steve Perry?
Because it'd be a better band. They'd presumably play better music without a vocalist. They did before he joined.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Sterling Bigmouth

Post by Sterling Bigmouth »

I don’t mind bands continuing to perform years after the original lineup retires, passes away, etc. The rest of those guys gotta make a living somehow. I will say though that I saw Foghat back in 2009, with only their original drummer and a couple guys they had recently picked up, and it had to have been one of the worst shows I’ve ever seen.
Turn it up to 10 and rip off the knob

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

Zip City wrote:Now for some fans, all they care about is hearing the songs they love, regardless of who is playing them, and that's great. It's just not for me.
This.

Plus, the people I know these days who go to see acts like Styx or Journey or Foreigner aren't hardcore music fans like most of us. They couldn't tell you who the members of any of these bands ever were, they wouldn't recognize the members were they standing in front of them, they just want a living jukebox to play all the songs they've heard on the radio for decades.

Like Zip, that's not for me, but it seems to work fine for them. Clearly there are more than enough of these kinds of fans to keep all these acts cashing checks
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing