RIP Dick Dale

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Zip City

RIP Dick Dale

Post by Zip City »

https://pitchfork.com/news/dick-dale-su ... ead-at-81/

I had a time in my early 20's when I was way into surf rock. What a legend. I'm sad I never got to see him live.
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

whatwouldcooleydo?

Re: RIP Dick Dale

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

Fuck, this sucks. We did several in-stores with him at Tower in Austin and he always brought it. 100% the real deal
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Just read an article a few days ago about how sick he was and he kept carrying on playing ala Gregory Dean Smalley. RIP.
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

I saw him at The Nick about 15 years ago. One of the loudest shows I've ever seen.
Let the outside air in

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

Rocky wrote:Just read an article a few days ago about how sick he was and he kept carrying on playing ala Gregory Dean Smalley. RIP.
not sure if this is the article you mentioned, but here it is. Depressing read :( :( :( This is a Washington Post article. Should be accessible assuming one hasn't used up the "free article" quota. Amazon Prime membership will get you in.

‘I have to perform to save my life’: Medical bills kept rock legend Dick Dale touring till the end

But the musician’s life story was also a constant struggle against health problems — and to pay medical bills. After his first cancer diagnosis in 1965, Dale continued to battle the disease. Up until the end of his life, Dale was explicit that he toured to fund his treatment.

“I can’t stop touring because I will die. Physically and literally, I will die,” he told the Pittsburgh City Paper in 2015. “Sure, I’d love to stay home and build ships in a bottle and spend time with my wife in Hawaii, but I have to perform to save my life."
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Yep that's the one.

Speaking of Washington (Post), saw Dick Dale play the 9:30 several decades ago. He is a virtuoso guitar player and loud as fuck. What a combo. He also played the trumpet at this show! RIP.
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

RIP to a true legend.

The Post article adds insult to injury to injustice. :oops:
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard