Bob Dylan ‘Rolling Thunder’ documentary on Netflix

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

whatwouldcooleydo?

Bob Dylan ‘Rolling Thunder’ documentary on Netflix

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

Bob Dylan, Martin Scorsese ‘Rolling Thunder Revue’ Doc Hits Netflix

Nice! Now how about a release of Eat the Document and Renaldo & Clara?
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

Flea

Re: Bob Dylan ‘Rolling Thunder’ documentary on Netflix

Post by Flea »

"Months away"? That sucks
Now it's dark.

gordonlw

Post by gordonlw »

Dylan who?

whatwouldcooleydo?

(cross-posted from movies thread)

Liked it a lot. Loved all the original footage from 75 but confused as to why Scorsese added a few fictional characters (Robert Altman's Jack Tanner & Stefan van Drop), as well as creating fictional storylines for Sharon Stone and Jim Gianopulos. Hell, there are even contemporary interviews with Dylan where he plays along with the made-up characters and plotlines. In my opinion, it doesn't really add anything to the film other than pranking the audience (I imagine there are many viewers who have no idea of these shenanigans and end up actually believing that KISS was the inspiration for the face paint :roll: ).

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/06/rolli ... 202149452/

https://www.vulture.com/2019/06/rolling ... -fake.html

whatwouldcooleydo?

rough at the start but well worth sticking with it

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:(cross-posted from movies thread)

Liked it a lot. Loved all the original footage from 75 but confused as to why Scorsese added a few fictional characters (Robert Altman's Jack Tanner & Stefan van Drop), as well as creating fictional storylines for Sharon Stone and Jim Gianopulos. Hell, there are even contemporary interviews with Dylan where he plays along with the made-up characters and plotlines. In my opinion, it doesn't really add anything to the film other than pranking the audience (I imagine there are many viewers who have no idea of these shenanigans and end up actually believing that KISS was the inspiration for the face paint :roll: ).

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/06/rolli ... 202149452/

https://www.vulture.com/2019/06/rolling ... -fake.html
I watched last week, and agree here. Mostly the film is good, but the fictional story lines just don't make a lot of sense. Also, they don't seem tongue-in-cheek enough, so it kind of comes across as fooling the audience for no go reason. Enjoyable, but for my money, if you want to see a Scorsese music doc, go with Crossfire Hurricane.
Love each other, Motherfuckers!

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

It's subtitled "a Bob Dylan story", so the fictional parts are kind of appropriate.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Smitty wrote:It's subtitled "a Bob Dylan story", so the fictional parts are kind of appropriate.
I get that totally. I just don't see any point other than pranking for the sake of pranking. To me the fictional parts added nothing at all, other than leading people like me to ask what was the point

I read that that the fictional filmmaker could be seen as an avatar of Dylan's wife Sara, in that his character was able to voice viewpoints only she would have had, and that a character had to be created to do this, since there was no way she would be in the film. Take that for what it's worth

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
Smitty wrote:It's subtitled "a Bob Dylan story", so the fictional parts are kind of appropriate.
I just don't see any point other than pranking for the sake of pranking.
Dude. You know this: Never trust a prankster.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
I get that totally. I just don't see any point other than pranking for the sake of pranking. To me the fictional parts added nothing at all, other than leading people like me to ask what was the point

I read that that the fictional filmmaker could be seen as an avatar of Dylan's wife Sara, in that his character was able to voice viewpoints only she would have had, and that a character had to be created to do this, since there was no way she would be in the film. Take that for what it's worth
They certainly went through pains to make sure no Renaldo and Clara footage of her made it in.

I think at this point the little untruths in RTR are there to see seeds of doubt on everything. I think it fits right there beside the blatant plagiarism in his Nobel acceptance speech (and lyrics) or the mountain of misinfo and appropriations of others' works in Chronicles, Vol. 1; he's got to know everything he says or does will be endlessly dissected so it's inevitable he will be found out, so the only way I can reconcile all of that in my mind is to assume it's all part of the lifelong performance art piece that began when little orphan Bobby Dylan, who at ten years old busked on street corners, playing spoons with itinerant bluesmen, hopped that train down to the Mississippi Delta and brought the knowledge he accumulated back to Greenwich Village. Looking at it that way, every bizzare interview, disappearance, reinvention, left-turn, etc etc etc starts to make sense. Whether it's all carefully calculated or a mix of intentional mythmaking and off-the-cuff trolling, it it's job was to confound his audience he's certainly been successful. Of course that's not some original theory, but I think even those who know he's something of a charlatan (jokerman?) sometimes forget to take everything he has a hand in with a grain of salt (sand?). If you take all those things together, of course he didn't help make a straight documentary.
Or maybe I just handwave laziness (after all, Moby Dick is a long book, who has time for that?) and the fact he has the hots for Sharon Stone as being further proof of his genius. Either way, it doesn't really matter cuz he's not there anyway.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

I do wonder if the whole project would've worked better if there had at least been a moratorium/gag order on fact-checking (or at least publicizing which parts were made up) by those who had advance screenings. It's a lot more effective as a film if you go into it blind (and would been more a mindfuck if it would've been treated as gospel for a week or two before the truth came out). Sure, some would've caught on or known better, but THE ROLLING STONES GUIDE TO WHATS TRUE AND WHATS FICTION IN NEW DYLAN FILM popping up in everyone's news feed kinda neuters the reveal.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

No Rolling Thunder content, but I found this interesting (and really surprising)

Here's how popular every Dylan song is on Spotify

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Smitty wrote:No Rolling Thunder content, but I found this interesting (and really surprising)

Does Spotify pay as much as a penny per play? If so, those numbers add up incredibly fast.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

whatwouldcooleydo?

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

beantownbubba wrote:
Smitty wrote:No Rolling Thunder content, but I found this interesting (and really surprising)

Does Spotify pay as much as a penny per play? If so, those numbers add up incredibly fast.
I don't think any streaming service even comes close to a penny per play.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Now all the criminals in their coats and their ties
Are free to drink martinis and watch the sun rise

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

The pay rate for streams is something like this.

For every 1,000 streams the band / artist gets 7 cents.
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Rocky wrote:The pay rate for streams is something like this.

i would think there would have to be separate composer payments. hope so. in the grand tradition of the music biz, the artists get screwed while the guys in the middle suck up the cash. rather like for profit medical insurance. bad things with that today, haha sorta. that royalty rate is why DBT & members are pretty much on the road constantly. a good thing in some ways, in other ways not. patterson, cooley & easy b are all in their 50s now. stuff starts going bad & the road can add to that a lot.

whatwouldcooleydo?

chuckrh wrote:
Rocky wrote:The pay rate for streams is something like this.

i would think there would have to be separate composer payments. hope so. in the grand tradition of the music biz, the artists get screwed while the guys in the middle suck up the cash. rather like for profit medical insurance. bad things with that today, haha sorta. that royalty rate is why DBT & members are pretty much on the road constantly. a good thing in some ways, in other ways not. patterson, cooley & easy b are all in their 50s now. stuff starts going bad & the road can add to that a lot.

The road is fuckin' hard,
It's also really fuckin' tough,
There's no question that
It don't take no guff.