Ladies & gentlemen...the Rolling Stones!

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

whatwouldcooleydo?

Re: Ladies & gentlemen...the Rolling Stones!

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

chuckrh wrote:
whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
chuckrh wrote:I listened to the above tape. They are sounding pretty good for first night of the tour. They are never going to make everyone happy but this is a solid 2 hour set. Ronnie is playing very well & Keith will come around. & no outright clunkers (Emotional Rescue, i'm talking to you!). interesting they've dropped "its only r & r". perhaps the lyrics hit a bit too close to home for mick.
I’d argue that the very best version of Sad Sad Sad ever played, assuming such creature actually exists, is still 100% outright clunker

Also, I’d prefer to hear most anything from Emotional Rescue over You Got Me Rocking. They just keep running that one out there from tour to tour :roll:
Keith likes the rif on YGMR, so i give that one a pass. it was in the fan vote section so won't be on every show.
Did you read the linked Rolling Stone article? It said that even Jagger couldn’t keep a straight face when he said that You Got Me Rocking won the fan vote. No way in hell that won the vote in a fair fight ;)
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

whatwouldcooleydo?

Zip City wrote:No "Can't You Hear Me Knocking"?

Leaving your best song off of your set lists is a bold choice
They’ve made that “bold choice” almost every show since that song was released

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Zip City wrote:No "Can't You Hear Me Knocking"?

Leaving your best song off of your set lists is a bold choice

they've never played that a lot. i've seen them well over 20 times & i've only seen them do CYHMK once on the Licks tour in 2003. Sticky Fingers night in Vegas. that was a hell of a show! best version i've ever seen of Brown Sugar. they did it stripped down on the little stage. Bobby Keyes was incredible that night. Bobby being gone would not be a good thing for CYHMK. i'm not quite sold on the new sax player. he's ok but its not even close to the same really.

whatwouldcooleydo?

this guy has a bunch of video he shot from Chicago

whatwouldcooleydo?

here's the second night recording, a whole bunch of songs not played the previous show (the guy posting this says it was 7 new songs)

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-deta ... ?id=652806

Rolling Stones
Soldier Field
Chicago, Illinois
June 25, 2019

Source: DPA 4060 => Tascam DR-2D (24-bit)
Transfer: DR-2D => WAV => Magix Audio Cleaning Lab => WAV => FLAC (level 8, dithered to 16-bit)

Location: Field, ~30 feet from stage in line with left speaker stack

Contrast clause:
- A 24-bit version of this file set is available here: http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-deta ... ?id=652804
- An alternate capture (different rig, different taper, different location) is available here: http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-deta ... ?id=652742

Setlist:

(1) Jumping Jack Flash (4:22)
(2) It's Only Rock and Roll (5:02)
(3) Tumbling Dice (4:29)
(4) Banter (0:36)
(5) Bitch (4:36)
(6) Banter (0:40)
(7) Ride 'Em On Down (2:55)
(8) Banter (0:54)
(9) Monkey Man (4:48)
(10) You Can't Always Get What You Want (9:22)
(11) Play With Fire (3:21)
(12) Sweet Virginia (4:43)
(13) Sympathy For The Devil (6:53)
(14) Honky Tonk Women (4:28)
(15) Band introductions (4:33)
(16) Slipping Away (6:07)
(17) Before They Make Me Run (4:32)
(18) Miss You (8:51)
(19) Midnight Rambler (false start) (0:59)
(20) Paint It Black (5:23)
(21) Midnight Rambler (12:04)
(22) Start Me Up (4:23)
(23) Brown Sugar (5:41)
(24) Encore break (2:29)
(25) Gimme Shelter (6:43)
(26) (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction (7:19)

Md5 and ffp signature files are included. Sorry, no artwork (feel free to make some)

Comments:

Second night of the North American leg of the Stones' "No Filter" tour. The setlist featured an astounding 7 songs that were not performed during the opening night, which is really unusual for this band. Some highlights:
- "Monkey Man" was played for the first time since 8/8/07
- "Play With Fire" was performed for only the second time since the 1990 "Steel Wheels" tour
- The rarely played "Sweet Virginia" appeared during the B-stage acoustic set. I couldn't find an exact number, but I believe this has been done less than 10 times over the last twenty years.
- Keith inadvertently started "Midnight Rambler" early, and the other guitars were tuned incorrectly. The first minute was painful and rough before Mick called it off and they reverted to "Paint it Black." Very funny moment that reminded you that these rock icons are also human.

211poundsofpork

Post by 211poundsofpork »

Recommended viewing:
"The Quiet One" - new Bill Wyman documentary
Just saw this the other night and really think not just Stones fans, but music lovers would really like this. Wyman opened up his personal archives some years ago and the doc. uses music, photos, etc. along with Wyman's narration to give his account of his life as a musician. (I am a total sucker for rock docs! :mrgreen: )

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

well hot damn - i got approved to shoot the Stones show this sunday, and they gave me a review ticket as well.

never thought i'd be seeing them 30 years after the Steel Wheels tour. :lol:

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

tinnitus photography wrote:well hot damn - i got approved to shoot the Stones show this sunday, and they gave me a review ticket as well.

Nice! you know that there aren't going to be many (if any) more chances to see them. i've seen them over 20 times since 1978, good & not so much. listened to first 2 shows of the tour & they are pretty good. hate to say it but Keith is the weak link so far. he'll warm up as the tour progresses & he still will occasionally rip off some good guitar. ronnie is doing the heavy lifting now though. mick & charlie sound great. the bit where Keith started playing Midnight Rambler rather than Paint it Black is hilarious. everyone tries to join in despite tunings & instruments (Ronnie sitar guitar!). they laugh it off & recover nicely. make sure you post how the show was. your impressions are spot on as far as i'm concerned. i'm seeing them mid august.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Promise of the Real are playing a show for a Seattle winery the night before the Stones. Open to public.

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/charles-sm ... =101305970

tinnitus photography

chuckrh wrote:
tinnitus photography wrote:well hot damn - i got approved to shoot the Stones show this sunday, and they gave me a review ticket as well.

Nice! you know that there aren't going to be many (if any) more chances to see them. i've seen them over 20 times since 1978, good & not so much. listened to first 2 shows of the tour & they are pretty good. hate to say it but Keith is the weak link so far. he'll warm up as the tour progresses & he still will occasionally rip off some good guitar. ronnie is doing the heavy lifting now though. mick & charlie sound great. the bit where Keith started playing Midnight Rambler rather than Paint it Black is hilarious. everyone tries to join in despite tunings & instruments (Ronnie sitar guitar!). they laugh it off & recover nicely. make sure you post how the show was. your impressions are spot on as far as i'm concerned. i'm seeing them mid august.
yeah Keith has totally lost it... like you said, occasionally he comes to life but a lot of the time it looks like he's just kinda flubbing his way through it.

i am glad i went, but some of the reviews i've read so far are so effusively glowing that i wondered if i was at the same show. like this guy (i mean, really.... show of the decade?!? This guy can't get out much):

https://www.telegram.com/news/20190708/ ... te-stadium
They don’t call the Rolling Stones the world’s greatest rock ‘n’ roll band” for nothing.

The Stones set up camp Sunday at the Gillette Stadium (aka the home of the New England Patriots, the greatest NFL dynasty ever) and the result was a concert for the rock ‘n’ roll history books.

Going onto the gridiron, the Rolling Stones’ “No Filter Tour” already had the makings of being the undisputed must-see show of the summer, and, quite possible, the must-see show of the year.

In the end, not only was the Stones the show of the summer, and I would predict show of the year, this might have been the show of the decade.

In fact, the Stones arguably haven’t sounded as good or as vital in years as they did during their triumphant, 2-hour 15-minute, 20-song set (which included a two-song encore).

Flea

Post by Flea »

tinnitus photography wrote:
chuckrh wrote:

yeah Keith has totally lost it... like you said, occasionally he comes to life but a lot of the time it looks like he's just kinda flubbing his way through it.

i am glad i went, but some of the reviews i've read so far are so effusively glowing that i wondered if i was at the same show. like this guy (i mean, really.... show of the decade?!? This guy can't get out much):

https://www.telegram.com/news/20190708/ ... te-stadium
They don’t call the Rolling Stones the world’s greatest rock ‘n’ roll band” for nothing.

The Stones set up camp Sunday at the Gillette Stadium (aka the home of the New England Patriots, the greatest NFL dynasty ever) and the result was a concert for the rock ‘n’ roll history books.

Going onto the gridiron, the Rolling Stones’ “No Filter Tour” already had the makings of being the undisputed must-see show of the summer, and, quite possible, the must-see show of the year.

In the end, not only was the Stones the show of the summer, and I would predict show of the year, this might have been the show of the decade.

In fact, the Stones arguably haven’t sounded as good or as vital in years as they did during their triumphant, 2-hour 15-minute, 20-song set (which included a two-song encore).
I suppose that is the closest thing to a sugar blow job a rock critic could publish.
Now it's dark.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

chuckrh wrote:

Funny reading your guys comments on Keith. One of my oldest friends, who has seen two shows this tour and has seen them over 50 times and is usually highly critical of Keith, say that the human riff sounds better than he has in over a decade. This is a guy who declared himself done with Keith in 2002. As for me I haven't seen them over 15 years after seeing them on ever tour to that point since 1978. I just reached a point where I was never going to see a better show than the ones I had already seen and it was a good stopping point. I'm glad so many people still enjoy the shows though, actually I'm sure I would as well but my extreme dislike of stadiums plus cost keep me away.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

tinnitus photography

usually comped tickets have a price of 0.00 on them, but this one had the face value... $500! holy fuck. i spent that once, for Sabbath's final tour that included a great seat and the opportunity to see the soundcheck (where they did an instrumental of "Symptom Of The Universe" so it was well worth it just for that).

whatwouldcooleydo?

just got these, they are called Mick and Keith's Midnight Ramble

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

I found this letter that my littlest girl wrote. This is a sign of strong parenting. My job is basically done.

Love each other, Motherfuckers!

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

pearlbeer wrote:I found this letter that my littlest girl wrote. This is a sign of strong parenting. My job is basically done.

good job!

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

Hmm...shouldn't that be Levon Helms Midnight Ramble?

whatwouldcooleydo?

pearlbeer wrote:
Oh look, it’s that guy ;)

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

pearlbeer wrote:
Oh look, it’s that guy ;)
You are correct, WWCD. I did leave out an apostrophe. Corrected: Levon Helm's Midnight Ramble

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Enjoyed the Stones Wednesday. We got a good 1 in Seattle. Weather was perfect & the Stones seemed to be into it. Promise of the Real did a nice opening set. No Micah Nelson but as a surprise they had Lucius on backing vocals. Nice version of Pearl Jam's "Just Breathe" in the set. The Stones set was about as good as it gets these days. The only song I would've switched out was "You Got Me Rockin" but they had a good groove going on that. Acoustic set of "Sweet Virginia" & "Dead Flowers" was fantastic with great Keith backing vocals. Keith also did "You Got the Silver" during his portion of the show. His singing was really good & he had his moments on guitar. If that was my last Stones show, I'm going out on a high note.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

the seattle show. it was a special night!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... 35HQb4zH0Q

scotto

Post by scotto »

In case you didn't see this...
‘People took so many drugs, they forgot they played on it’ – stars on Exile on Main St, the Rolling Stones’ sprawling masterpiece
https://www.theguardian.com/music/2022/ ... cote-dazur

brettac1

Post by brettac1 »

scotto wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 3:47 pm
In case you didn't see this...
‘People took so many drugs, they forgot they played on it’ – stars on Exile on Main St, the Rolling Stones’ sprawling masterpiece
https://www.theguardian.com/music/2022/ ... cote-dazur
Awesome read. Exile is my favorite album ever and I can't envision that changing.
Do you ever get tired of singin' songs
Like all your pain is just another fuckin' sing along?

gkow4three

Post by gkow4three »

Great article; thanks for connecting it. Exile is the best.
My Exile story: I grew up in a small town in northern Wisconsin. I was only aware of Exile b/c in 8th grade I became fascinated with Rolling Stone magazine and Exile was #3 on their list of the 100 best albums 67-87. One fateful day, probably around 1988, there was this little used record shop next to the downtown theatre (that seems like the old days). For $8, I got nice vinyl copies of Exile, Let It Bleed, and Some Girls (still have those copies). My brothers and I had a record player set up and we'd play Nintendo and listen to records. Exile record 1/side 2 of Exile really drew me in and Exile has really been my favorite since then. That sound, plus some Petty, plus some Ragged Glory Neil, plus GnR (of course)... became my channel... that lead me to Wilco... and No Depression... and then the Truckers. Which connects to right now b/c... within a month we'll have new Truckers, and new Wilco. Hopes are high.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

gkow4three wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 12:06 am
Great article; thanks for connecting it. Exile is the best.
My Exile story: I grew up in a small town in northern Wisconsin. I was only aware of Exile b/c in 8th grade I became fascinated with Rolling Stone magazine and Exile was #3 on their list of the 100 best albums 67-87. One fateful day, probably around 1988, there was this little used record shop next to the downtown theatre (that seems like the old days). For $8, I got nice vinyl copies of Exile, Let It Bleed, and Some Girls (still have those copies). My brothers and I had a record player set up and we'd play Nintendo and listen to records. Exile record 1/side 2 of Exile really drew me in and Exile has really been my favorite since then. That sound, plus some Petty, plus some Ragged Glory Neil, plus GnR (of course)... became my channel... that lead me to Wilco... and No Depression... and then the Truckers. Which connects to right now b/c... within a month we'll have new Truckers, and new Wilco. Hopes are high.
I love Exile. So raw & alive! The only outright clunker on there is Turd on the Run. I think my favorite song on it is Soul Survivor along with Happy. The deluxe version that came out a few years ago has a fantastic version of Survivor with Keith singing. I'm also quite fond of Stop Breaking Down. I wish they'd dig deeper in the catalog, perhaps do "An Evening With" shows with 2 sets. Sadly, it'll never happen. There's a lot of talk on the fan site that ticket sales are soft for this summer's tour of Europe. The Stones tickets are so expensive. Out of the hundreds of concerts I've been to the Stones are the most I've ever spent. I've seen them over 20 times. They got me twice for $750. I saw a club show in Vegas on the Licks tour that was fantastic (they were even better the next night at MGM Grand) & bought a deluxe package for the 50th anniversary tour again in Vegas. That one was a disappointment. I don't think I'd ever spend that much for a ticket for anyone now. I lucked out in 2019 & was able to snag a great ADA seat at the front of the stadium upper deck for $60. I can't stand for shows anymore & the seat was about perfect. For whatever reason we lucked out on the show. The band was totally on & evidently had a good time in Seattle because they stayed an extra day after the show. It was one those rare periods in Seattle where the weather was perfect. Those in the know said it was 1 of the best shows of tour. I think that was my last Stones show & I'm happy to leave it at that. I'm seeing Dylan most likely for the last time the first week of June. I've seen him between 10 & 20 times, too. Both first shows of the Stones & Dylan were 1978. I've heard a few tapes of this Dylan tour & they're fantastic. Looking forward to it. Sorry to babble, up all night with chemo side effects. Not super horrible but not pleasant either.